· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can honey gourami survive only on algae?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 honey gourami in my 125l community tank, i've had them 4 days now and they seem fine, nothing else is bothering them and they just potter about the tank picking at algae.

Now the problem is they so far havent eaten any of the food ive put in for my other fish (flake, pellet, bloodworm) yet ive seen them doing lots of pooing, so im thinking they are eating a lot of algae, is it possible for them to just eat this and be ok? Today one was sucking in bits of flake but kept spitting them back out again...

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    I have 2 honey gourami in my 125l community tank, i've had them 4 days now and they seem fine, nothing else is bothering them and they just potter about the tank picking at algae.
    They are pooping so they are eating something, I hope you didn't buy this fish NOT knowing what it eats or that it is very timid and can easily be out-competed for food by more boisterous tankmates . I suspect some research is in your future.

The most important thing you can do is this: Give them time to adjust to their new surroundings. Moving is stressful for fish not to mention the new tankmates/surroundings etc... Know what I mean?

I am guessing from your post that there was no QT involved whatsoever... Pretty risky IMO but that ship has sailed, Good luck.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 06-15-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    Today one was sucking in bits of flake but kept spitting them back out again...
    That's normal for gourami just settling in. They can do well on algae for a couple of weeks. They'll accept the flakes in due time. Have patience.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    You got some great advice above

IME, new fish can take a week or so before they settle in to a new tank and they feel safe and comfortable. During that period of time, they may not eat like they should. Keep trying the flakes and before you know it, he will start eating flakes. As they are Omnivores, they will need both algae and flakes in their diet to really do best.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    they are shy and they are omnivorous. they do lean to meatier foods though. as a matter of fact, whenever I see my honey gourami spend large amounts of time grazing or eating frogbit roots, I take it as a sign to feed more.
    the conclusion? they can survive for quite a while on algae, but you should try to get it to eat some animal matter. If it is too shy to come to the surface then sinking pellets (pre-soaked as their mouths are tiny)work well too. they are surface fish but will readily descend to feed.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys, its put my mind at ease a little.

I didn't quarantine them as the guy at my local store does this at his house before he brings any fish into his shop, not to mention I dont have room for a quarantine tank anyway. My tank is fully stocked and i've never had problems putting fish straight into it before.

Anyway I will stick with the flake, I do have small sinking pellets too which I will try.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta