· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Question Trying to figure out this tank...

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, aside from the 5gal bow front I'm in the process of setting up, I have another tank.

It's a hex tank, over 2 decades old and been dry for 2 decades too. (It was a Christmas present when I was in kindergarten, with two goldies in it. I shudder now!) I kinda want to turn it into a tank I'll actually use, but I'm not sure how and I can't find any information on it via Google.

What I do know: it's from Great Western Trading, Co. and model #14015. It's an acrylic hex tank, bottom lit. There looks like it had come with a bubbler that sat in the base next to the light, and there's a valve in the bottom of the tank, but that part seems to be missing from the base now. I couldn't find a ruler/measuring stick to measure it, so I used my iPhone. It seems to be roughly 11-11 1/4" diameter measuring from flat side to flat side, the tank itself maybe 10 1/3" tall, and each flat side measuring 4.5".

Here's some bad pictures of it in all its wasn't-cleaned-out-2-decades-ago glory:

I had thought it looked as big as my bow front, but when I ran the approximate dimensions through a calculator, I got a volume a bit above 2 gallons.

Anyone have any info on this tank? And ideas on what I could realistically do with it? My tastes have changed in the past 2 decades, and I now tend to lean towards heavily planted tanks. However, this tank is obviously ill-designed for a planted tank, even if I could get it clean enough to set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Pff... that's a real challenge!

Fish would be extremely tricky, even a betta would already be cramped. What you could do is plant it well and follow the Walstad shrimp bowl method. Stick in an airstone with the smallest pump you could find for some surface movement. modify the hood to include some led lights.

Alternative is an aquascape based around a single piece of rock or wood and don't use any livestock.

Third is adding livestock but you'd need a filter and finding something small enough is the real challenge. http://amzn.com/B005DGHRU2 might be the best option. For heating you'd need to rely on ambient heat really.

I'd say the shrimp bowl is your best bet.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Would figuring out how to re-rig-up that bubbler work for the surface movement? And having stuff in the center would be tricky, because the bottom has a hill to allow for light from a bulb below to come through.

As far as light for plants... I have a spare desk lamp that I'm not using that has a bendy support. Would replacing the bulb in there with a freshwater plant flourescent and have it shining into the side of the tank work? There could be higher-light plants on the side nearer the lamp, and lower-light ones on the far side.

Ambient heat is tricky. This house gets cold in the winter. Down to mid-50s sometimes. I do have a spare mini-heater. If I have to mod the lid anyways, might as well make use of it! It's this heater.

Tetra also has a mini tank filter. Claims it's good up to 3 gallons. I know you're supposed to half what they say, but if it's planted with a low bioload, wouldn't a little underfiltered be alright?

0 Not allowed!
    A bubbler would probably work. The hill can be overcome with a few dabs of silicon and a few pebbles.

A desk lamp could work if you get a daylight bulb in. From the side will give you weird growth. Those flat mini heaters are a royal pain in the rear. They often cook tanks because they're always on and are difficult to hide. http://amzn.com/B008L286BY might be a better idea but do test in a bucket before use!

That internal filter would work, a sponge filter would work but the thing is, you got no space already and you'd have less with an internal filte.

Having a good looking tiny tank is a real challenge because equipment is scarce. It's for that reason that small aquascapes are often without inhabitants and with a considerable amount of hidden equipment.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Better save the flat heater for heating water for water changes, then. lol I got it first, and then wasn't happy with how it (wasn't) heating the tank and replaced it with a different one for my bow-front.

Hmm. So either way I'm looking at modding the lid for equipment... Too bad I can't just sit the tank on one of those heating pads they make to encourage seeds to sprout. Will have to think on the light situation.

Would options be better or worse if I were to forgo most live plants and put it where it would get a little diffuse sunlight? The living room can get pretty bright, despite the windows facing north.

0 Not allowed!
    What you can always do is just plant it and stick it in a sunny spot and see what happens. Worst case it will fail and you'll only lose a few plants but gain a lot of experience.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I could try to find one. Sunny spots are hard to come by with this place. All of the bigger windows with room for the tank are north-facing! Heh

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There's always shrimp that are satisfied with almost any tank size.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Had a couple ideas today, neither of which could be implemented quickly (not that I would be jumping into the hex project either).

First idea, I did a quick google on diy sump tank, and saw someone who did a mini overflow/sump for a smaller tank (though it was still bigger than this!) The advantage of this would be that the only equpiment needed in the tank itself would be the overflow. Filter, heater, and whatever else could be in another container.

And that led to the second idea... Maybe attach it to a larger tank? Have water circulate from the big tank into this one, and then back again to the bigger tank (which would have room for the filters and heater). Then I would do a completely different landscape in the hex, one that doesn't really require a specific light source.

0 Not allowed!
    The first idea will definitely work, the second could maybe work.