· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default favorite easy stem plants?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, what is your favorite stem plant? Preferably one that doesn't require very much light or ferts. I will be planting a 55 gallon tank with one 48 inch 54watt 65k bulb, if that helps.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bump. I would like to know the answer to this, too. All of my stem plants seem to rot and break off. Are there any that are easy to keep?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    TBH with that level of light and little to no ferts nothing is really going to grow. You may be able to keep some of the really easy stuff alive, like java fern or jungle val, but nothing is going to flourish.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So far mine are doing well, I don't really do anything special. Hygrophila Polysperma and Rotala are both stem plants growing in my tank. I also have a Val and Red Crypt Wendtii. Oh and what I was told is Christmas Moss. I don't know much about plants but the hood is the one that came with my 10g kit, I just updated the lights to what I believe are compact fluorescent lights that are "day glow" ones. My substrate is just silica sand. I recently started adding Flourish Excel daily, though the plants were growing fine without it.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Hornwort might grow in such conditions.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water wisteria will probably grow. 65k? Like 6,500 light kelvin right? :) just want to make sure I'm on the same page lol sorry
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Most mosses will be fine with that lighting. You could get away with it for Swords, too. Stems, however, will do poorly. They'll reach for the light, sure, but your stems will weaken closer to the substrate, leaves will fall off and eventually the stem will break toward the bottom. The top of the stem might still look flourishing, but it's still a weak plant and will continue to behave in this manner, until you increase your lighting.

What you'll have with a 54w bulb is very low lighting in a 55gal tank. That equates to about .98 watts per gallon. If you want stems to flourish, you should at least double that lighting, so you have closer to 2wpg. You'll see much better growth and healthier plants.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 07-30-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?