· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Where is your pond?

Corys do not eat algae, no. Do you have algae in your tank or are you expecting it to develop? There are other ways of fighting algae, rather than buying algae eaters, so don't feel like you have to buy an algae eater to keep your tank clean.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the algae for the walls of the aquarium moreso. One reason I liked the CAE's was that they rummaged through the plants and would eat the algae on the wall as well.

And the pond is in my backyard.

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your questions, you shouldn't and they don't eat algae. Corys would be the replacements for the raphaels, and a bristlenose pleco would be the "algae" eater. But in all reality you should clean the algae and not rely on a fish to do it. I recommend getting the BN pleco, but you need to feed them zucchini or other veggies

**also note that in some places it is highly illegal to release aquarium fish into the wild, and it is considered unethical to do it at all because of the risks involved

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    To answer your questions, you shouldn't and they don't eat algae. Corys would be the replacements for the raphaels, and a bristlenose pleco would be the "algae" eater. But in all reality you should clean the algae and not rely on a fish to do it. I recommend getting the BN pleco, but you need to feed them zucchini or other veggies

**also note that in some places it is highly illegal to release aquarium fish into the wild, and it is considered unethical to do it at all because of the risks involved
    I am not releasing it into the wild. I am releasing it into my 500 gallon pond in my backyard.
    Edit:
    And i would prefer an algae eater because it moreso completes a biological cycle and more self maintaining.
    Last edited by Impulse155; 06-14-2013 at 06:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Is your pond heated? If not, where are you located? If so, what is it heated to?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    ok, my bad on the pond, around here someone that has a "pond" out back is a natural pond.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Is your pond heated? If not, where are you located? If so, what is it heated to?
    Live in New York. It's mainly a koi pond, but we have put other fish in it. I would think I might be too cold now that I think about it.

0 Not allowed!
    Anywhere within 73-86'F should be ok. What temp do Koi live in? 60s?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Anywhere within 73-86'F should be ok. What temp do Koi live in? 60s?
    Yeah I am pretty sure it tops out at 70.
    I am pretty sure I am going to replace the CAE's. Do you think I can fit 2 gourami's in? Do they get along?
    Also I would hate to get rid of the raphael's. Maybe i'll hang on to them for a bit and then do it after they grow an inch.
    Last edited by Impulse155; 06-14-2013 at 07:20 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I bet you'd be surprisingly happy with a small school of Corys. I would recommend replacing the cats with them. They're very active.

2 Gouramis in the same tank (especially a 20gal tank) is bad news. They become highly territorial and will eventually end up killing each other.

You could certainly fit a dwarf gourami in there, but only by himself (not 2).

I would replace the CAEs with a BN pleco or Bulldog Pleco. If you want a school of small algae eating catfish, instead of the one pleco, you could go with several Oto cats. You could probably get 5 in there comfortably.

That would still max you out, though... No room for a DG. ;/

If you want a centerpiece, get the DG, get rid of the cats (all together) and replace the CAEs with one BN pleco and you can keep the 12 other fish you have in there.