· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default salinity problem

0 Not allowed!
    my 14 gallon biocube has been cycling since friday and it is already done BUT today when i measure my salinity it is somewhere between 1.027 and 1.028. the last time i tested it which was sunday it was 1.025 on the dot. how can i lower it without messing up the balance in my tank? or is 1.028 ok?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    1.028 is a touch high, but if you have not stocked the tank yet, I would leave it and balance it out with your next water change.
    If you do have stock in it, you need to lower it gradually with daily water changes. If you drop it .03 in one go you will give your stock a bit of a shock.

Usually the only time salinity swings like that is if the water was first tested while still "fresh". You should only add saltwater to your tank that has been mixed for at least 24hrs.
    I have a bucket with a powerhead in it which mixes my water for a week before use. if this is your first tankful of water, then a period of adjustment is expected.

Oh, just wanted to add too, you'll want to get a proper refractometer for checking salinity. Honestly, its some of the best money you will ever spend in saltwater keeping. Anything else is notoriously inaccurate and hard to get a consistent read with.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 06-14-2013 at 02:02 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Would you be willing to answer a few more questions for me as I do have a few ideas of what else could be going on here? Have you been getting evaporation ?

If you top up for evaporation do you use FW or SW ?

Are you using a hydrometer or a refactormeter to test your salinity ?

Has your temp remained stable ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have no stock yet i was hoping to stock a cuc this weekend. how do i balance it when i do a water change? and would changing the water mess up my tank balance because it is so newly cycled?

cliff, i have not changed the water yet at all and i have not topped off yet at all. i use a hydrometer. the temp has changed a couple degrees here and there but it has been stable for a couple days now. like i said the tank has only been running a week but it cycled really fast so i havent added or changed the water yet.
    Last edited by johncomeau8; 06-14-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Hydrometers aren't very accurate, and with a small tank like yours it would be money well spent to buy a refractometer. Honestly, for the amount you use it, its worth it.

If you're sure you have no critters in there, I would simply take out a gallon of water and replace with straight RODI water, let it mix for a bit, then measure salinity, and repeat until it was at the desired level. You won't disturb the balance of your water as there is nothing to disturb. BB are a bit tougher than that, and it resides in the LR, so a bit of diluted "rain" won't hurt.

0 Not allowed!
    As already mentioned, swing arm hydrometers can be off by as much as 0.003. That has been my experience as well as that of many others.

I would suggest getting a refractormeter and testing your salinity before making any changes. Your salinity could be stable right now, but you would need a refactormeter to confirm that.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what is RODI water? sorry very new to this. what could have caused the salinity jump?

0 Not allowed!
    It is water that has been filtered through a reverse osmosis filter system with a additional DI resin filter. It produces 100% pure water with no minerals at all in it.

Evaporation is about the biggest cause of a real salinity increase in a small tank. I would still suggest getting your salinity confirmed through a test with a refactormeter first.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Like Cliff said, it may not even have jumped. Your hydrometer might just be off...daily conditions differ, and the hydrometer is easily influenced, so its hard to get a consistent read with it.
    I've measured my water 3 times in 5 minutes with a hydrometer, and never got the exact same reading twice.

RODI water is reverse osmosis/de-ionised water. It's what is recommended you use to run saltwater tanks. In order to maintain nitrates at the low levels necessary for saltwater tanks, and to keep nuisance algaes under control, its best to use water with a TDS of zero. Thats "total dissolved solids" which just means its really clean water.

If you use tap water, you run the risk of experiencing a few extra difficulties more than you might using RODI water.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 06-14-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: wups

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast