· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question New 55 gallon aquarium! What to put in it?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, My name is Emily aka emfishy98 and I just got back from a garage sale at my grandmas apt complex. While I was there my mom bought me a 55 gallon aquarium with stand and all equipment like a filter, a vacuum, a hood, and some other supplies. I forget what. But what I would like to know is right now I have a 20 gallon long with 3 albino tiger barbs, 3 flaming tetras, 2 rainbow sharks and a golden algae eater. What kind of fish are combatable with the fish I have right now? I would like to get more fish since I got a bigger tank. If there is no other fish that are not too expensive I can just buy more of the same kind of fish too. Thank you to all that reply. Oh and also when we pick up the tank here in an hour I will have to give it a really good scrub down because it is really dirty and needs some cleaning. So take your time replying. :) I will reply to you as soon as possible too. Thanks again! I will post pics of the new tank when I get it all setup.

0 Not allowed!
    Rainbow sharks, a single one could just live in a 55g.

Check tank for leaks
    set up the new tank with decor
    Get the filter media transfered
    Wait several weeks

then look into more fish. Both your current species are in terribly low numbers.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, Thank you for the advice. I still have to check the tank for leaks, It held some water but I didn't fill it up all the way. It might need a new coat of clear caulk it looks like too. Also, I will have to go out to the pet store today to get more décor for the bigger tank and a bigger heater. I didn't know how many of the tetras and barbs live together, I thought 3 and 3 would be enough. Thanks for telling me that too. I already got a filter but me and my dad have to try to figure out how to put it together. I think its a penguin filter but I don't know what model. I finished cleaning off the algae that was on the tank last night and my mom wants to paint the stand a blackish brown also. I will post pictures once everything is up and running. Oh and also, In the 20 gallon long I have right now I have a bubbler that is a broken barrel décor piece too, do you think I will need another bubbler for the other side of the 55 gallon or will the one I have right now be enough? Thanks again for replying as you can tell i'm still new to keeping fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Some people like bubblers as decoration. As to adding air a filter outflow positioned an inch over the water will do more than a bubbler.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with talldutchie's advice.

In addition, in case you aren't aware of this, "waiting a few weeks" means you should really cycle your new tank before transferring any of your current fish into it - that involves putting pure ammonia into the tank and monitoring your water parameters (Hope you already own a liquid test kit rather than test strips).

How long has your 20gal been running with those fish in there?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I was steering towards a transfer media scenario initially

0 Not allowed!
    Makes sense!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in