· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Want to change tank to seaweed biome, tell me how and ID these?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm at Port Aransas, and having a load of fun! You see, I've discovered all sorts of animals living in the floating seaweed in the shallow water. At the moment, I've brought a selection of critters back to our room; two pipefish, two frogfish, two nudibranchs, some small crabs, a lot of grass shrimp, and an unidentified thing that looks kind of like a chalk bass. Here's the little bass-fishy:

Anyone know what he might be? He's about a half-inch long, and already nipping at amphipods.

This is the seaweed, with a couple of shrimp and a crab visible if you look. Can this seaweed be grown in an aquarium?

This frogfish is about an inch long, and is the largest one.

I'm not gonna keep the pipefish, which turned out to be a chain pipefish and a gulf pipefish, because I know they likely won't eat frozen food.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 06-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here are the nudibranchs. The larger one is about an inch and a half long.

Can you ID the crab? I'm pretty sure the shrimpy is a grass shrimp or some sort of small prawn.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, done some research. The angler is a sargassum angler, the sea slugs are sargassum sea slugs. Any care tips for these guys?

0 Not allowed!
    The key would be to replicate the water parameters (pH, salinity, dKH, Cal, Mag, nitrates, and phosphates), flow, and lighting conditions that you found them in. You would also have a increased chance of success if you could identify what they were eating and replicate that in captivity.

Unless you can do that, and you have a already cycled marine aquarium waiting for them, it might be best to return them to the ocean were you found them. Sorry, but I can not remember if you already have a marine aquarium or not
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I already have a tank, A 29 Biocube. From what I've read, it's large enough for one of the anglers, since they're only about 4-5 inches long and aren't all that active.
    I'm probably going to let the sea slugs go, as it seems like they eat gorgonians on the seaweed, not the seaweed itself. Shame, they're cool. I'm only going to keep one frogfish, since I've read that they'll fight, and I'm going to get rid of any crabs that I can't ID.
    What are the chances of the shrimp breeding for me? I want to keep a bunch of them, they're pretty, and I'm hoping they'll breed fast enough that the angler won't wipe them out.
    I should note that these fish are apparently both anglers and frogfish, hence why I keep switching terms.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 06-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    The shrimp will get eaten by the frog fish in time

Have you managed to determine the water parameters of were you collected these fish yet ?

What do you currently have in the 29 gallon bio cube ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But will they breed fast enough to not get wiped out? Can I possibly raise them in the Biocube filter compartment?

I had to release the fish, the room was too cold and they weren't happy, but I'm going to get some supplies for a temporary tank when we go into town tomorrow. Also on the list is the water test kit.

A small, nonagressive blue damsel and a japanese waspfish. The damsel is currently larger than the frogfish I'm finding, and the waspfish is two inches long. Of course, I'd give them away before the frogfish got as big as them, I know about a frogfish's tendency to swallow things you'd think they can't.