· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Betta

1. Default New Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I just got my Betta (and Two Otos) and I had a few questions for people who know a bit more than I do. Right Now Tardis (my Betta), and the two oto's are in a quarantine tank (5.5 gallons with some fake Bamboo on and off for 2 hours each because it gets waterlogged and sinks so I have to let it dry out). Anyways, I've had him for... well... less than 24 hours thus far so I know that some of his seemingly odd behavior is probably just shyness and nervousness, but I want to make sure there's nothing wrong with him so far since he (and my other 6 fish, the 4 cory cats and the 2 otos) are the first fish I've had since elementary school and the first non-goldfish fish I've had in my entire life (bit of a fudge there, my mom had a pleco when I was 7, but the goldfish it was with died and the algae stopped growing but we didn't add algae wafers or anything so...). Anyways...

1) He's jumped out (successfully) 3 times, and the makeshift lid I made (I can't find one that fits so I cut down a chunk of cardboard and weight it down with an encyclopedia so my cat won't knock it off) showed me that he tried to jump out at least once while I was at Tai Chi last night. Is he always going to be that eager to escape or will he calm down some once he realizes he's not food and is in fact, "king of the tank" and the living, focal point?

2) He kinda lists to the side whenever he's not swimming actively (both sides seem equal depending on where he faces, his head and back touch the glass and the rest of him just kinda goes away from it), at first I thought it was the current from the filter, but I changed filters because the current was too strong and was blasting him and the Oto's all over the tank so I changed it to a waterfall filter with a bubbler under it to divert some of the current; he still does it, is he sick or just... being a lazy boy?

3) He's swimming fairly low in the tank, I mean... it's not a big tank, there's no substrate or anything and I'm just glad he isn't trying to jump out, but the freaking bottom-feeder oto's regularly are swimming over his head! I mean, when he first came home he just stayed at the top and grabbed a mouthful of air every 20 minutes or so (I put in the bubbler cuz of that, I thought the water was lacking oxygen). Anyways, is it normal for them to practically swim on the bottom of a tank?

4) He keeps trying to run away from me when I walk over to the tank to check on him and the others (making sure nobody is looking sick, or fighting, or stuck, or jumped out of the tank, etc.) Is that just normal "I'm still getting used to here" stuff or is that something I should be worried about? (I check on the quarantine tank about every 15-20 minutes, and my regular tank about every hour, just in case something goes south.)

5) I'm not quite sure what to call him as far as finnage and coloration go. I can't get a good picture as the Q-Tank is lightless (to reduce stress and also cuz I couldn't find a hood) and my camera phone doesn't have flash. I THINK he's a crowntail as far as fins go, but I'm not certain. His fins are pink on the outer edges, purple-ish blue by the body, and his body progresses from a blue to a violet-pink sort of color. (He's absolutely gorgeous in the right kind of light). He looks kinda like this (note: not my picture) only with a bit more blue and less pink.

Thanks for all the answers, advice, and etc. in advance.

PS; When he's over the Quarantine (the 26th) he'll be in a 15 gallon column with 4 albino Cory Cats, and when the Oto's finish their extended quarantine they'll join the others. The Cory's will be moving out by Christmas though, the 15 gallon is well planted with 2 caves/hidey holes and I'm going to add some fake bamboo there too if I can get it to float for more than 2 hours before it gets too wet and sinks... you'd think an aquarium plant would not do that, but oh well.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

0 Not allowed!
    swimming low and swimming away when you approach are normal. think of it. any small fish in the wild that swims carelessly in the open and does not flee when a large, ominous creature approaches will not pass on its
    genes. as soon as the betta realizes that there are no predators lurking in its new home and associates you with food and not harm that evasive behavior should stop.
    however, listing and jumping(especially repeatedly) are signs that something is wrong outside of just stress of being in a new tank.
    what are your water parameters? temperature? did you dechlorinate the new water? did you add mature filter media to the quarantine tank? did you acclimate and how? anything else worth mentioning?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The PH is a bit low (somewhere around 6 I think... I'm not very good at reading the strips or the tubes when I use a liquid test), the water is dechlorinated. I use API Quick Start and Stress Coat. The filter in the tank is the one that ran in my other tank before I put the fish in. Temperature is roughly 80 I think, but I could turn it down a bit easily enough. I acclimated all of my fish the same way, they floated for 10 minutes undisturbed (after the bags were opened), then every 5 minutes I poured a quarter of a cup of tank water into the bags over the next hour. The day I got them WAS very hot, and I got them near noon (the store I purchase from doesn't open until 10 so I didn't have a lot of choice). My car was reading in the upper 80's or lower 90's, had been sitting in the sun for a bit and such, but I got them in and got them home within about 20 minutes (I live fairly close thank goodness) but maybe that hurt them? I've also got a cat in the house, but once I told her she wasn't allowed to eat the fish (with the corys) she stopped showing any interest in all of my fish, even if I carry her over to the tank to watch them. Also, every time Tardis has jumped out I've had some trouble picking him up to put him back in (longest time so far was a little under five minutes cuz every time I finally got my hand UNDER him he flopped off before I could put another hand over him) so maybe that hurt him a bit?

I also have a medication in the tank (the people in the Fish department at petsmart said that it's a pre-emptive medication used in their own quarantine tanks). It's Tetra Lifeguard "All-in-one Treatment". I could stop using it though and I doubt it would make a difference...

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

0 Not allowed!
    The only "preventive" medication I've seen recommended for use in a QT is prazi pro which is meant to kill any internal parasites - I'm not familiar with the all in one treatment but from what I've learned here, there is no need to put any medication into a tank unless your fish is showing clear signs of an illness (like fungus, ich spots, etc.).

Medication just for the sake of adding it reduces available oxygen in a tank - that is why its not a good idea to add stuff as a preventive with the exception of what I just mentioned above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The PH is a bit low (somewhere around 6 I think... I'm not very good at reading the strips or the tubes when I use a liquid test), the water is dechlorinated. I use API Quick Start and Stress Coat.
    What are your nitrite and ammonia levels?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything read as 0 when I checked the tank last night at dinner time.

0 Not allowed!
    "Lifeguard" In my experience is a fish Killer. I'd recommend getting it out of there ASAP. Besides this, do not medicate fish that don't require medication.

Betta are surface breathers. They breathe oxygen using a specialized breathing organ they have. They generally hate turbulence in the water, so I'd get rid of the air "bubbler", its only going to stress him out.

Also, get rid of the bamboo, its not actually a water plant and will foul the water.

Betta need temps around 80 degrees for their happiness as well as plenty of silk plants to hide in. Little water disturbance, and crystal clean water.

Normal Betta behavior is as "hams". They usually, if seeing the person that feeds them regularly, come up to the front of the tank to greet you. They may, or may not shy away from you touching the glass, but generally, will stay at the glass and watch you if you sit near it. They will swim on all levels of the tank, exploring and "cruising" their territory.

Betta also sleep. They can look quite dead, hanging out motionless and not going up for air for several hours, in plant leaves, on decorations, hanging over gravel on the bottom. Its not unusual.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I turned the bubbler off and he seems much happier... he's still hiding behind the waterfall from the filter but at least now he's hiding at the top. The bamboo I have is all fake bamboo, plastic (It's actually part of a 3' tall fake plant that I just cut a few chunks off of so that something would be near the top of my column tank for him since none of my other plants are tall). I've also stopped the lifeguard and replaced the charcoal filter part (I took it out cuz the box said to). My main tank requires bubblers because of the other fish (cory cats and Oto's) and the fact that it has a lid that cuts out a lot of oxygen getting in, but I got fine-mist bubblers and 2 of them. (When the cory's get moved I could possibly take them out though.) Since this is a Quarantine tank I'm trying to minimalism decorations so that anything that does pop up doesn't have a place to hide and reinfect them, the water in the tank is clean and set for 80 degrees (dunno how well it's holding it, but it feels the same as my 78/80 degree main tank so I'd assume fairly well). I also do a small water change every time the Q tank looks cloudy, just in case (So far 3 water changes in 3 days, 2 in the same day because Tardis thought the algae wafer was a toy and tore it apart so it clouded the water a bit). The filter I have is meant for 10 gallons so it should do pretty well on my 5.5 gallon... if the water keeps clouding though I'm gonna put in my spare 5 gallon filter as well and try to angle it so it doesn't push everything in the tank over into one corner like it did last time.

0 Not allowed!
    The bubblers in the big tank shouldn't bother him too much since there is much more room to get away from them. They really hate those things LOL. And sorry, thought it was real bamboo!

Since you are trying to keep decorations to a minimum in quarantine (understandable) you might want to find a non porous "hiding place" for him to feel safe. Good options are a small teacup turned on its side, a small ceramic plant pot (the minis they have at hardware stores) turned on its side, or a Betta log. It will give him a place to retreat and de-stress.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh! I can try those easily enough, thanks! (he doesn't like the bamboo much even when I can get it to float so I may just go swipe a teacup from upstairs)