· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: more questions

1. Default more questions

0 Not allowed!
    when my tank is cycled should i do a water change before adding my clean up crew or not? if so how much water?

0 Not allowed!
    If your water parameters are in line, no need for a water change right now. But do start about a 10% weekly water change once you start stocking the tank and increase that amount if you have trouble with nitrates and/or phosphates

What type and how much algae to you have ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not much. some green hair algae is the only kind that i know of but im new to SW. i dont see any of the dino algae or whatever that brown algae is even though the guy at the lfs said i would see it when my tank was cycled. plenty of little live rock critters though! my parameters are still ammonia - 0 nitrites- 0 nitrates - around 3ppm. salinity is 1.025 ph is 8.2. im still having trouble believing im already reading nitrates but no ammonia or nitrites ( i had a small amount of ammonia on sunday) ive never seen a cycle that fast its insane

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, when cycling with live rock, you are basically adding fully seeded filter media. I have cycled tanks between 2 days and 3 weeks. The time all depends on the quality of the rock, and the amount of die-off you get taking the rock home. Sounds like you got some good rock

I would suggest some asteria snails and maybe one hermit crab. That would really help you with your hair algae.

I strongly disagree with your LFS guy. You do not alway get diatoms when you use proper marine sand (due to the very low amounts of silicates) and you should never get dinos as a part of a cycle. I never got either in my last tank I set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i meant to diatoms not dinos haha like i said im new to SW. you have answered every single one of my post and all your info adds up. you are a very helpful person thanks cliff.