· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First tank setup - 55 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    After 30 years out of the hobby I decided to set up a 55 gallon with an Emporor 400 filte and Eco_complete substrate. I am initially using fake plants and may change to live plants down the road.

I have included two photos, before and after the setup.

I started my fishless cycle on Friday May 31. My initial ammonia reading was 8.00 PPM. I picked up a bottle of the janitorial strength ammonia at Ace Hardware. I set the initial water temp to 82 and pot in an air stone.

I did my second water test today, they were:

Ammonia - 4.00 ppm
    Nitrite - 5.00 ppm
    Nitrate - 0 ppm

My cycle has only been going since Friday, so hopefully it will be heading in the right direction

IMG_1736.JPGfilled tank.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Looks pretty good for the plants to be fake. Since you've already spent the extra $$ on the substrate I'd go ahead and do real plants.

I mean why not? They don't really require maintenance if you get the right plants for your light set up.

What are you considering for a stocking plan?
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    What is your lighting? I agree with the above poster. You paid for a plant substrate, why not get live plants? Low Light plants live java ferns, anubias, crypts, wisteria, can be easy to find, and require minimal effort. Certainly worth looking into in my opinion. Tank looks great though. You're off to a good start. You have ammonia and nitrite. Now the waiting game starts....

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    What is your lighting? I agree with the above poster. You paid for a plant substrate, why not get live plants? Low Light plants live java ferns, anubias, crypts, wisteria, can be easy to find, and require minimal effort. Certainly worth looking into in my opinion. Tank looks great though. You're off to a good start. You have ammonia and nitrite. Now the waiting game starts....
    I have two 17W daylight bulbs. It is my understanding that I would new light fixtures and would need to spend about $200

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    Looks pretty good for the plants to be fake. Since you've already spent the extra $$ on the substrate I'd go ahead and do real plants.

I mean why not? They don't really require maintenance if you get the right plants for your light set up.

What are you considering for a stocking plan?
    I have not decided on the stock, I figure I have another two weeks or so to figure it out. I will probably go with a community tank, I am open to any suggestions!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    It is my understanding that I would new light fixtures and would need to spend about $200
    Depends on the light fixture, for your tank you could get some decent ones for under or around $100. For stock suggestions, maybe 12 aggasiz cory cats, 18 leopard danios and 18 black ruby barbs. With some sort of centerpiece fish too, like a gold gourami. There would be a lot of movement in this tank lol.
    This was the first suggestion that came to mind, idk why it was, but I think it would look splendid especially in a planted tank.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    I have two 17W daylight bulbs. It is my understanding that I would new light fixtures and would need to spend about $200
    Not necessarily. I have grown plants in a 55 with this light. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-t5-strip.html
    The 48" is $51.95, plus shipping.
    Here is the tank. I don't have it anymore. But it had the light fixture I linked,mostly low light plants, and Eco Complete.

14443.jpg
    Last edited by kim92; 06-05-2013 at 03:02 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    What there is now qualifies as low light but I'd still work

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, no need to spend a load on lights. My 55g set up had a $60 set up with 2 T5 bulbs that grew plants pretty decently.

EDIT: Actually, they are now on my 130g. Of course they now only grow low light plants because of the height difference in the tanks.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    Not necessarily. I have grown plants in a 55 with this light. http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-t5-strip.html
    The 48" is $51.95, plus shipping.
    Here is the tank. I don't have it anymore. But it had the light fixture I linked,mostly low light plants, and Eco Complete.

14443.jpg
    Would I need to buy a cover for the tank for the T-5 lights to sit on? or do you think I can use the existing covers? What I have now are two covers on each side of the tank where the lights fits into the center section. From what I remember of the hobby 30 years ago, I had the same type of hood/light