· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Just be sure t0 keep a g00d lid 0n the tank, if y0u have a kn0wn jumper in there, might find stuck t0 s0mething 0utside 0f the tank.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed you initially listed African frogs among your stock. Those are amphibians. I've never known of any adult frog to be fully aquatic. They need some sort of ledge that protrudes out of the water that they can rest on to breathe air. That means lowering your water level somewhat so the top of a flat rock or other solid structure can stick up out of the water.

Secondly, with all that stock, you need much more filtration. An HOB designed for a 75-gallon tank isn't adequate for a 65-gallon aquarium. I don't know the capacity of your sponge filter, but I would suggest your adding another HOB with capacity for 75 gallons. You need all the filtration you can get on this tank, and the general rule of thumb is at least twice the filtration of a tank's gallonage.

Adding all that stock in such a short period of time is going to drastically increase the bioload. Do you have a test kit to monitor the parameters?

Is your tank even cycled?

Seems to me, you're trying to do too much too fast. And that's a recipe for disaster.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Holy stocking level Batman! I think you now have more fish in that one tank than I do in my whole house, with three tanks running and a few trout in the freezer. PLEASE do not add any more fish to this tank, you have a soon to be major disaster on your hands as it is. I do not even know where to begin to try and make sense of it all or help straighten it out.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Longshot, the tank is covered as much as possible without being airtight. I used to keep danios, so I know how to jump-proof a tank.

@mermaidwannabe, African dwarf frogs are one of only three or four fully aquatic frogs. Their legs are positioned in such a way that they can't really go anywhere on land, and they won't come out of the water even if given an opportunity to.
    I know I need more filtration, I'm digging an old filter out of my closet right now and another filter is going to be the next fish-related thing I get.
    These fish are all very small at the moment, and yes, I'm monitoring parameters.
    Yeah, it's cycled.
    I know now that I'm going too fast, so no more fish for a while. I'm ordering some plants, though, so this tank is going to go from lightly to moderately planted in a day or so.

@Kingfisher, all the fish except my skinny twig cat and my even skinnier algae-eater goby are under two inches long, and many of them are under an inch long. According to three different stocking calculators, my tank is a touch under being at capacity, and that's without factoring in the plants.

You can see that the water is a bit tinted from tannins (once again it looks way way greener than it is), which will pretty much go away for a few days when I do another water change today or tomorrow. My frog is going nuts because of the thunderstorm here and I don't want to freak him even more, so it might be tomorrow.
    This is not a good photo. The window curtains are off, resulting in glare, and I seem to have given you all a bit of a self-portrait in the glass. Ah well... You can see the tank reasonably well, and it's a cell phone, you can't ask for contest-winning quality.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    It looks murky as hell so I'd get to those water changes (tannins or not). What are your readings when you say you're monitoring them? Just checking for the welfare of your fish.

What's the black line/rod on the left?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Would you mind posting links to the three stocking calculators? I only know of Aquaadvisor and I would be interested in checking out the other ones.

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Readings are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 7. The line is just a plastic stick that had some nori rubberbanded to it as a way to feed the algae-eaters without it floating all over the tank.

Aquadvisor is one that I'm using, but I can't remember the names of the other two. I was poking around on the internet last night and tried a couple, but didn't write the names down or anything. This is what aquadvisor has to say:
    http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200909300157:
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!
    Could you tell me what search engine you were using then? I seem to be having trouble finding them using google.

"

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm - not familiar with nitrates being around 7 - the scale I have with my liquid kit starts at 0 and goes to 10, 20, 40, 60, etc.

Also, your fish might be very small but they all start off that way - the issue is how large each can get potentially and whether you have adequate space for them as they grow bigger.

If there are too many fish things can get cramped pretty fast & that could lead to aggression.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Kingfisher, I'm pretty sure I was using Google, but I have no clue what I searched. It wasn't something I felt like I needed to remember. 'Freshwater fish tank stocking calculator' or something similar, probably.

@imma24, it's on the darker side of the 0-10 section, and 7 seemed about right. Less than 10 and more than 5, basically.
    Most of the fish are small, peaceful schooling fish. About a third of them get just around an inch long, another third gets somewhere like an inch and a half, and the rest are around two inches, aside from the skinny algae-eater goby and the twig cat. The goby is about three inches at full size, and the twig can get to around eight inches, but more than half of that length is tail and they're skinny. Well, that big unidentified cory I have might reach three inches... Apparently he isn't a Schwartz cory.
    Most of these fish are either peaceful schoolers or peaceful loners, with the only confrontation in this tank being the occasional 'chase rampage' by the boss betta. Every few days, she'll decide to chase someone, and she'll race after one fish for a few inches, then change course and dart after another, until she's chased around five fish or gotten distracted. She almost never catches them, but even if she does, she doesn't bite, just flares at them and sort of struts off. They don't seem bothered, they just swim quickly away from her, then when she quits chasing they go back to whatever they were doing.
    I keep a close eye on any possible aggression, as well as any possible signs of it, and anyone who's mean gets removed.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 07-17-2013 at 10:58 PM.