· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Why is your water so green? It looks pretty bad (sorry). I wouldn't be stocking anything in that tank until that was under control.

You seem to be filling your tank with lots of single oddball species. Why not concentrate on getting some sensible stocking - like having one species of cory in a proper school?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally i'd invest some money in plants rather than fight, you got quite some fish now and if you decide to add the female Endlers you'll have alot more.
    I'd also look into the species a bit more before deciding to buy them and find out if they're compatible.
    Also one question, is that driftwood real because i find it to be very stunning for some reason.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The water is that odd color because it's full of tannins. I've done a water change, and it now looks much better. It looked green because I was photographing through a slightly greenish layer of algae.
    The tank really is sort of an oddball tank... The mix of cories is due to a mix-up at a pet store, and they always school happily. I'm getting more dwarf cories, though. If any of the schooling fish seem unhappy, I'll adjust it.
    I've been researching pretty much all the fish. I've researched them all in the past, and most of the things I'm getting are fish I've always wanted, like the twig cat and the pencilfish. Don't worry, I keep a close eye on my fish, and if there's trouble I fix it.
    Yes, the driftwood is real. The thing on the left is a false waterfall that I like, and it's got some moss in the fake trees on the side, so it'll look awesome when the plants grow.
    I'm going to get some plants soon... I have a few large clumps of java fern that have been added, and I'm going to check out a new store in about a week. If I don't like what they have there, I'm going to order some plants online, and have them shipped overnight. So I'll have more plants in a week or so.
    I'm also going to be doing water changes every week, now that my Python is working. I have a fish store trip planned sooner than a week as well. My parents are the best ever.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    I've never seen tannins make water look green. Clean your tank!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've done a water change, and it's almost perfectly clear now. It really is the tannins doing that, and it wasn't anywhere near as green as it looked. The cell phone I used to take the pictures just made it look greener. Plus, the wall behind the tank is blue, so the yellow-ish tannins looked kind of green against it.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just went to another store I like, and came back with some really nice stuff.

This is a Stiphodon sp. goby, an algae-eater. He's pale because he's stressed, they get nice and dark when they calm down. This species has an odd habit when scared: They dash randomly around, then launch themselves several inches out of the water and stick themselves to the nearest hard surface with their pectoral fins. I really don't know what the point of it is, other than to get them stuck out of water.

I also ended up with two sunset dwarf gouramis, quite possibly a male and a female. One of them hid in a bunch of plants I'd stuck in the acclimation bucket, and after I put the plants back in the tank, I saw him swimming around in there. Silly thing.

The java fern that gourami hid in.

My other new fish are a peacock gudgeon and two Bluefin killifish, which are impossible to find anywhere but here!
    The place I go to for unusual freshwater fish occasionally gets gobies, darters, or Bluefin killies in with their feeder shrimp, and when they do, they put them in their plant sale tank. Usually they don't sell them as it's nearly impossible to get them out without making a huge mess, but as I'm a fairly regular customer and promised not to mess it up, they let me give it a try. It wasn't very easy, but I did manage to catch the killies. Only $2.50 each for fish that I can't get anywhere else! Bargain! And next time, I'm gonna try to get some of those darters.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

One of my new killies.

Peacock gudgeon, a female.

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you're keeping an eye on your ammonia readings. You've added an awful lot of fish within a very small space of time.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am. Don't worry, the fish are all very small right now, they aren't full size. I know this is a bit much to add at once, but our family is busy and I have trouble scheduling fish store trips at times when they actually have the things I'm looking for.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like another full-tank shot please.