· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Let's just try this again... 65 gallon redo.

0 Not allowed!
    I was lucky enough to get a 65 gallon aquarium for Christmas, thanks to some wonderful parents, and it was up by January. Wanting a planted tank, I gave it a dirt substrate... Which was a mistake.
    Just recently, the tank suddenly started smelling like a cesspool and most of my small fish were dead. Apparently, the dirt (organic compost from a garden center) had manure in it, which had decayed, releasing toxic gases that killed off most of my dwarf cories, pygmy cories, and pencilfish. The dirt has been removed and replaced with slightly under 3" of black aquarium sand, and I'm planning to get this thing started up next week, after our beach trip.
    The filter is a combination of a HOB designed for a 75 and a sponge filter. The sponge filter used to be a favorite pygmy cory spot, as it's covered in java moss and probably buggies.
    Ph usually hovers around 7.5.
    Current decor:
    Two pieces of driftwood
    A fake waterfall thing that I like
    A rock
    A cow vertebra
    A squirrel skeleton
    And a random raccoon rib

The plants:
    A bunch of Java moss
    Two kinds of Java ferns
    A bit each of giant and flame moss
    One big anubias
    Something like 15 smallish crypts

Animals:
    Two ghost shrimp
    One African Dwarf frog
    Two Julii (possibly false Julii) cories
    Two salt-and-pepper cories
    One Schwartz cory (soon to be joined by one more) (how do you spell that, anyway?)
    Two female bettas (soon to be three)
    One Stonehead Sulawesi goby
    Two sun nerite snails
    One gold gourami
    One lonely survivor pencilfish

Here's a few pics:

Full tank, obviously. I apologise for the glare, these are cell phone pics.

The Sulawesi goby. I need more of these guys, they're fun.

A sun nerite. These were an impulse buy, as they were $1.50 each and I'd never seen them for sale anywhere else. Plus, they're basically mutant nerites, and everybody knows how to take care of nerites!

Boss betta. Her fins are kind of ragged, due to some blind cave tetras I used to have ganging up on her. This little one changes color faster than a chamelion! She'll go from mostly blue to half white, then back to blue, then purple. Not sure how she does it...

Alright. The reason I'm posting this right before I go on vacation without good internet is fairly simple: If I post this now, I can come back and there'll be lots of answers to my questions later.
    What I want to add, over the course of a while, obviously:
    Another Schwarts cory
    Another female betta
    Probably a rubberlip pleco (those are only about 4" long and really funny to watch)
    Possibly 6 or so Endler's livebearers
    At least 10 more pencilfish
    At least 11 dwarf and pygmy cories
    A twig catfish
    More freshwater gobies. I know a place that sells some nice Stiphodon gobies.
    1: Now, I'm starting to consider a school of neon tetras. How tightly will they school in a 65 that's mostly populated by small fish?
    2: Let's say I want to have fairly equal schools of pencils and neons, then a big school of dwarf and pygmy cories. How many can I keep, approximately? I was told that I could easily have 30 assorted schoolers in there, probably more, is this correct? I mean, it seems accurate... I'm gonna go see what Aquadvisor has to say about that.
    3: Any thoughts on having some Endlers in there? Males only, of course, so I wouldn't have five billion tiny fry. Not that I'd mind fry, but the nearest LFS that takes trade-ins is pretty far away and I can't drive yet.
    4: What do you normally see twig cats going for? I don't want an albino one, but I don't care if it's longfin or not.
    5: Any tips for keeping a twig cat? What I normally see is to feed them algae wafters if they eat all the algae, to keep them with peaceful stuff, and to put guards on all the heaters. I don't have heater guards yet, but it's Texas summer, I unplugged all the heaters. (which is only two)
    6: I'm looking for the big schools/small fish appearance in this tank, as you can see. If I could have 10 or so of each species, what tinies would you reccommend? Not microrasboras, they're just plain too tiny. I also don't want anything that's too finicky or delicate, I want stuff that has at least a little bit of endurance.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, personally I'm not huge on the decor, but to each there own lol

My thoughts would be to stock it like so:

2 - Rubber lipped or Bristlenose plecos
    10-15 Neons
    10 Pencil Fish
    15 Dwarf Cories
    A few gobies (not positive on capability)
    Nerites
    Maybe 1 other type of fish

I would re-home the rest. I condensed the # of schools in my tank and I like it a lot better. If you want more species, get more tanks

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay, I have internet here!
    I actually want some diversity... Bettas are one of my favorites. Twig cats have been something I've wanted for two years, but I never had enough space for them. Thanks for the imput, but my bettas and larger cories are here to stay.
    I need something that gets tall for the back of the tank... Like, really tall. There's a few stem plants that are basically long stems with tiny leaves on them, which of these would be best for a tank with low-ish light?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What species of pencilfish do you have?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One little Beckford's. Previously, it was 8 Beckford's, two dwarfs, which happily schooled together.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bumpa... I need some advice now.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do magnolia leaves release many tannins? I want a few in here.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, done some stuff. I added a few boiled magnolia leaves, most of which are still floating, and I went to my LFS. Now, I was planning to get some schooling fish, but I got sidetracked by an unexpected discovery. Here's what I got:

This was an attempted shot of some new fish, but they scooted and the goby photobombed. Just thought it was funny.

Twig catfish! He's about 6" long and very healthy. Don't worry, the heater is turned off.

Pencilfish. 5 Beckford's pencils and two Marginatus pencils. You can't see them all in this pic, they're camera-shy and won't let me photograph them. That really big one is exactly 1 1/3" long.

Pygmy/dwarf cory, not sure which. I got two of these, both are 3/4" long, and they might be hybrids. They both have the lengthwise black stripe, like pygmies, but one has a break in the stripe and they both have speckles like dwarves. I'll try to get a better pic of them up later.

I also got a treasure, who won't let me photograph him.

An African pipefish! He's almost 5" long, and eating frozen food! I considered these for a while several months ago, but I read that they won't eat frozen food, so I dropped the idea. Till I found these at my LFS! He didn't seem interested in eating anything right after I released him, but he picked at some frozen bloodworms a bit after a few hours, and he ate a couple. He's really pretty, a nice orange-brown with a red nose.

One of my bigger cories tried to eat his tailtip... It thought he was a bloodworm!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got a couple of nice pics.

Finally got a pic of the pipefish! He was out at feeding time.

I saw the twig catfish on a piece of wood near the top and was curious what his suckermouth felt like, so I just sort of scooped him up. He wriggled his fin but didn't seem bothered, so I grabbed my phone and took this. He seemed to think I taste good... In fact, I tried to give him some nori, but he was more interested in sucking on my finger than eating the nori! He's really docile, didn't at all protest being scooped up, just sat there and sucked my fingertip.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Took advantage of a sale and got myself some new fish. I ended up coming home with:

Two albino four regular glowlight tetras

One dark blue female betta

Two male Endler's livebearers (will add 4 females soon)

And a small bristlenose pleco.

I've only managed to get a photo of the Endlers, the others are either hiding or moving too fast.