Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. Default Mooch on bottom of tank


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

    Mooch, my 2-year-old-ish betta, was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank this morning. His color is poor, and he's breathing hard. He occasionally flails his pectoral fins. No sign that I can see of external parasites, swellings, etc. Scales are flat, body is straight.

    5-gallon tank, Aquaclear HOB filter with bio-beads. 74 F, pH 7.4, ammonia .125, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20 (I can't tell the difference on the color card). In the past few weeks, I've had nitrates building up, so I've been changing water 2-3x/week.

    When I saw him, I did an immediate 3-gallon water change.

    His only previous health problem was a bout with fin rot a year ago that resolved with triple sulfa.

    Help?
    IMG_2392_zps863546af.jpg

  2. #2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suda Nim View Post
    Hi,

    Mooch, my 2-year-old-ish betta, was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank this morning. His color is poor, and he's breathing hard. He occasionally flails his pectoral fins. No sign that I can see of external parasites, swellings, etc. Scales are flat, body is straight.

    5-gallon tank, Aquaclear HOB filter with bio-beads. 74 F, pH 7.4, ammonia .125, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20 (I can't tell the difference on the color card). In the past few weeks, I've had nitrates building up, so I've been changing water 2-3x/week.

    When I saw him, I did an immediate 3-gallon water change.

    His only previous health problem was a bout with fin rot a year ago that resolved with triple sulfa.

    Help?
    IMG_2392_zps863546af.jpg
    Aw... your poor fish : ( - your fish suddenly looked like this? It's been eating fine and acting fine until now?

    With high nitrates (how high are we talking?) - y0u should be changing the water daily (or twice a day) with a fish in that condition! Nitrates should be no higher than 20ppm (in case you didn't know).

    With your readings, you appear to be dealing with an uncycled tank - how long has this betta been in the tank?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    He's been in the tank 18 months. The nitrate rise is a mystery to me.

  4. #4

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hope you noticed my edit - it wasn't acting like this yesterday?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    13,396

    Awards Showcase

    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about Mooch ...is the tank cycled, like imma24 mentioned?...you want 0 ammonia at all times
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Hope you noticed my edit - it wasn't acting like this yesterday?
    No, he's been absolutely fine. Lively, colorful, interacting with me, and then this morning, wham!

  7. #7

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Wondering about the ammonia - is it possible you have been overfeeding or not vacuuming your substrate and there is stuff rotting in the tank? Also, when is the last time you rinsed out (not replaced) your media? Perhaps it is gunked up?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  8. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Wondering about the ammonia - is it possible you have been overfeeding or not vacuuming your substrate and there is stuff rotting in the tank? Also, when is the last time you rinsed out (not replaced) your media? Perhaps it is gunked up?
    I rinsed the media (in used tank water during a water change) about two weeks ago, and vacuum substrate with every water change.

  9. #9

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    So, he was swimming around as usual last night?

    What exactly is your nitrates level? Did you do another water change? How often do you feed it?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  10. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    So, he was swimming around as usual last night?

    What exactly is your nitrates level? Did you do another water change? How often do you feed it?
    Nitrates this morning was 10-20. The two colors are purt-near identical on the card, so I can't be more specific than that. I did a 3-gallon water change this morning.

    I feed him 2x/day, of either a few tiny flakes of Hagen Betta Color Enhancing Flakes or 3 pellets of New Life Spectrum Betta Forumula (semi-floating pellets). He fasts on weekends. (The tank is in my cubicle at work. I cover the tank with a towel when I leave each day.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •