· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Mooch on bottom of tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Mooch, my 2-year-old-ish betta, was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank this morning. His color is poor, and he's breathing hard. He occasionally flails his pectoral fins. No sign that I can see of external parasites, swellings, etc. Scales are flat, body is straight.

5-gallon tank, Aquaclear HOB filter with bio-beads. 74 F, pH 7.4, ammonia .125, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20 (I can't tell the difference on the color card). In the past few weeks, I've had nitrates building up, so I've been changing water 2-3x/week.

When I saw him, I did an immediate 3-gallon water change.

His only previous health problem was a bout with fin rot a year ago that resolved with triple sulfa.

Help?
    IMG_2392_zps863546af.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suda Nim View Post
    Hi,

Mooch, my 2-year-old-ish betta, was lying on his side on the bottom of the tank this morning. His color is poor, and he's breathing hard. He occasionally flails his pectoral fins. No sign that I can see of external parasites, swellings, etc. Scales are flat, body is straight.

5-gallon tank, Aquaclear HOB filter with bio-beads. 74 F, pH 7.4, ammonia .125, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20 (I can't tell the difference on the color card). In the past few weeks, I've had nitrates building up, so I've been changing water 2-3x/week.

When I saw him, I did an immediate 3-gallon water change.

His only previous health problem was a bout with fin rot a year ago that resolved with triple sulfa.

Help?
    IMG_2392_zps863546af.jpg
    Aw... your poor fish : ( - your fish suddenly looked like this? It's been eating fine and acting fine until now?

With high nitrates (how high are we talking?) - y0u should be changing the water daily (or twice a day) with a fish in that condition! Nitrates should be no higher than 20ppm (in case you didn't know).

With your readings, you appear to be dealing with an uncycled tank - how long has this betta been in the tank?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's been in the tank 18 months. The nitrate rise is a mystery to me.

0 Not allowed!
    Hope you noticed my edit - it wasn't acting like this yesterday?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Hope you noticed my edit - it wasn't acting like this yesterday?
    No, he's been absolutely fine. Lively, colorful, interacting with me, and then this morning, wham!

0 Not allowed!
    Wondering about the ammonia - is it possible you have been overfeeding or not vacuuming your substrate and there is stuff rotting in the tank? Also, when is the last time you rinsed out (not replaced) your media? Perhaps it is gunked up?

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about Mooch ...is the tank cycled, like imma24 mentioned?...you want 0 ammonia at all times
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal