· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Blood Worm feeder?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if there is some kind of "sinkable" feeder I could use whenever my fish get their weekly blood worm treat...the problem is whenever I try to feed BW to the entire tank, the fatty platys and the greedy guppies eat all of the BW before they have a chance to become re-hydrated and sink down to the tetra's level, so they are usually left out of treat time.

Just some sort of fillable, weighted, porous ball or cube on a string would work, and I swear I thought I saw something like that on the interweb, but can't find it now...seems it would be easy to come up with some sort of DIY set-up to do this, but I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I use frozen bloodworm cubes for my fish, I get a cup and I fill it with tank water (as not to use tap water with chlorine) to thaw them and then dump it in to spread it out, they sink rather rapidly right away. I wonder if you can do the same - pre soak them in tank water so they sink readily when you add it to the tank.
    Last edited by Longshot; 06-12-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I use frozen bloodworm cubes for my fish, I get a cup and I fill it with tank water (as not to use tap water with chlorine) to thaw them and then dump it in to spread it out, they sink rather rapidly right away. I wonder if you can do the same - pre soak them in tank water so they sink readily when you add it to the tank.
    Thanks, but already tried that...the tetras were still left out...if I could somehow "trap" the BW until everyone had a chance, the tetras may actually get a nibble

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    what about going to a farm feed place or similar, and getting a large dosing syringe, fill it with your BW/water mix and "shooting" it at mid water level closer the tetras? My, aren't fish owners some world class enablers? lol.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    what about going to a farm feed place or similar, and getting a large dosing syringe, fill it with your BW/water mix and "shooting" it at mid water level closer the tetras? My, aren't fish owners some world class enablers? lol.
    LOL, yes, anything for our fish...that syringe deal may work, though, thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Add a few to one end of the tank and a few to the other end. Tetra's are fast and they will get their share. They will also pick up what sinks to the bottom. The problem with platy's is that they are hogs and why they get constipated so often. A few blood worms 3x a week "after" regular feeding is ok, too.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yes ma'am, I've done that a few times too....you are right, those platy's act like they're starved regardless of when and what they are fed

I keep thinking I saw a "sinking feeder" or such online somewhere, and now it's bugging me

0 Not allowed!
    take a thin gravel vacuum and remove the flexible tubing and everything except the rigid plastic vacuum tube you stick in the gravel. keep one end over the surface to pour whatever food in and have the other end at the level of your tetras.
    once you pour the food in it will sink untouched through the tube and come out at the level you want. works best with smaller, narrower tubes because they are handier and fish tend not to get teh urge to swim right on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    take a thin gravel vacuum and remove the flexible tubing and everything except the rigid plastic vacuum tube you stick in the gravel. keep one end over the surface to pour whatever food in and have the other end at the level of your tetras.
    once you pour the food in it will sink untouched through the tube and come out at the level you want. works best with smaller, narrower tubes because they are handier and fish tend not to get teh urge to swim right on.
    Hey, that's a good idea!...even a 1/2" piece of clean PVC would work, and I have some of that out in the garage!...thanks madagascariensis!

0 Not allowed!
    clear tubes would be better so you can see the downward progress of the food, but pvc should work fine too.