· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    My honest opinion would be to sell most of the fish and start out with fish that you like

I see a mix of random cichlids, angels, a few barbs and a large common pleco (will outgrow the tank)
    We will be looking starting today for a pond or huge tank for the larger plecos, though we do have a couple smaller ones I will leave them till we need to rehome them also.

We have a 50g, 30g and 2 5g tanks and my 6 and 7 year olds would like fish in their rooms and so would my 3 year old. The 3 year old is getting a 5 gallon with a betta and maybe 2 otto's. I know 5 is ideal, but I do not think 5 would work with a betta in a 5g. The older girls will get the 30 gallon. They want to keep the otto and the eel in that tank and get more fish. I am trying to see if the Angels can go in that tank. If not we will put them in our room in the 50g with maybe the catfish or one of the smaller pleco's.

Good idea, bad idea?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    The eel is probably a black kuhli loach. he won't get bigger.
    Thank you. What can I put with him?

I am sorry for sounding knew to tanks, but I accidentally got this mess on my hands and am trying to fix it. The only things we have had before are Betta's, African Cichilds, small plecos, mollies and guppies. I did not expect this kind of mess.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    The angels and africans are in a crazy mix... Watch the Leoprenus they are TERRORS! The Albino and common bnp need a pond... I would try to get everything sold to the LFS and start from scratch. Thats a crazy grouping.

If you like the angels, keep the angels and make it a great community tank. You shouldnt have an issue with that. Pleco's need a pond but you CAN get some 6-8in max pleco's if you like those types of fish. Just make sure you study what they need. Africans and anything else do not go together.

A cool stocking if you like these fish though is the angels, some kribensis, a sailfin pleco and a large tetra like congo's or columbians.
    Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    Kuhli Loaches are a schooling fish so ideally he should go with 5+ other little Kuhli Loaches. You should be able to find these at most pet stores. I don't know if the black Kuhlis will school with the regular stripey ones though. If you don't want to get him a school I suggest taking him to the LFS. Apart from needing a school, Kuhlis are pretty flexible when it comes to communities. They are very gentle and won't bother anyone and most fish won't be able to eat them either. They would go well with the angelfish.

Just FYI ottos are also schooling fish so you should add a couple more of those too.

Appart from that, I agree with everything else everyone has already said. Either keep the angels and rehome just about everything else and build a lovely community around them, or rehome the angels and plecos and keep the tank as an African aquarium. I can't help with that as I've never kept Africans.

About your daughters 30g, you should be able to have one angel, a nice school 8-10 angel-proof tetras (phantoms, lemons, rosies, harlequin rasbora, etc) and a group of 6+ Kuhli Loaches (or other bottomdweller if you decide to take the Kuhli back). I suspect that the otto would be eaten by an angelfish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    Kuhli Loaches are a schooling fish so ideally he should go with 5+ other little Kuhli Loaches. You should be able to find these at most pet stores. I don't know if the black Kuhlis will school with the regular stripey ones though. If you don't want to get him a school I suggest taking him to the LFS. Apart from needing a school, Kuhlis are pretty flexible when it comes to communities. They are very gentle and won't bother anyone and most fish won't be able to eat them either. They would go well with the angelfish.

Just FYI ottos are also schooling fish so you should add a couple more of those too.

Appart from that, I agree with everything else everyone has already said. Either keep the angels and rehome just about everything else and build a lovely community around them, or rehome the angels and plecos and keep the tank as an African aquarium. I can't help with that as I've never kept Africans.

About your daughters 30g, you should be able to have one angel, a nice school 8-10 angel-proof tetras (phantoms, lemons, rosies, harlequin rasbora, etc) and a group of 6+ Kuhli Loaches (or other bottomdweller if you decide to take the Kuhli back). I suspect that the otto would be eaten by an angelfish.
    Thanks. I think the Angels are already a pair, so I don't know if I should separate them. Maybe we will put them in the 55 in our bedroom and build around them there. My daughters want a few different fish that I know would not do well with the Angels. So I guess for their tank we will add 4 more loaches, and 4 more otos. They also want a dwarf frog and some neons. I have to do some research but I think those will all work. I know the ottos and loaches will be fine. Not sure about the dwarf frog though.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by babywantsfish View Post

I am sorry for sounding knew to tanks, but I accidentally got this mess on my hands and am trying to fix it. The only things we have had before are Betta's, African Cichilds, small plecos, mollies and guppies. I did not expect this kind of mess.
    Which is why I personally would be very reluctant to buy anything with fish in it. But, it's done and you're looking for advice on how to deal with it.

I think the large common pleco won't grow all that much any more, quite a few of the commonly traded species max out at "only" 12 inches. The current tank is just barely big enough for it. It's a softwater species really but quite adaptable and should be able to live with the cichlids.

The angels could work in a 30 gallon if it's high enough. The kuhli loach could work in that tank. Since it's a single individual of a shoaling species you wouldn't see much of it. You could supplement it with a small school, say 8 cardinals. Fully grown cardinals are too big to eat for angels.

Another issue that no one seems to have mentioned. African lake cichlids of which you seem to have quite a few, need hard water with a PH of around 8. Angels, like most south American species, will do a lot better in soft water with a neutral or slightly acidic ph, say between 6.5 and 7.5. Your 50g contains some cichlids but which ones? IF they're also African rift lake then the most logical action would be to set up the big tank for them.

In your posts you don't seem to mention what your tap water is like.

Additional complication could be the other catfish or plecs you refer to. Identifying these is sometimes tricky and quite a few shops in your country like to sell big species. So to avoid nasty surprises down the line I would advice you to try and identify them. We're happy to help but we'd need some good pictures to work with.

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is also probably larger than you purchased it thinking, it has 2 center braces which would indicate a 6ft setup...given its height I would say most likely a 125G. It also came with very adequate filtration another perk.

Choose what fish you like from the tank(if any) and stock around that. L.fasciatus are very cool fish often seen housed with large cichlids as sort of a dither fish. They are tough as nails, and often leave other fish alone outside of their own kind which they typically fight unless in large groups. Which is interesting how 2 seem to be coexisting in there.

1 common pleco wouldn't be horrible for a tank this size with adequate filtration...they are huge bioload producers so beware. There are many different subspecies of "common pleco" so it really is hard to determine how large yours will get. Most seem to grow between 12-18"...of course some report 2ft+ common plecos but evidence of them growing that large in the home aquarium is few and far between.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Which is why I personally would be very reluctant to buy anything with fish in it. But, it's done and you're looking for advice on how to deal with it.

I think the large common pleco won't grow all that much any more, quite a few of the commonly traded species max out at "only" 12 inches. The current tank is just barely big enough for it. It's a softwater species really but quite adaptable and should be able to live with the cichlids.

The angels could work in a 30 gallon if it's high enough. The kuhli loach could work in that tank. Since it's a single individual of a shoaling species you wouldn't see much of it. You could supplement it with a small school, say 8 cardinals. Fully grown cardinals are too big to eat for angels.

Another issue that no one seems to have mentioned. African lake cichlids of which you seem to have quite a few, need hard water with a PH of around 8. Angels, like most south American species, will do a lot better in soft water with a neutral or slightly acidic ph, say between 6.5 and 7.5. Your 50g contains some cichlids but which ones? IF they're also African rift lake then the most logical action would be to set up the big tank for them.

In your posts you don't seem to mention what your tap water is like.

Additional complication could be the other catfish or plecs you refer to. Identifying these is sometimes tricky and quite a few shops in your country like to sell big species. So to avoid nasty surprises down the line I would advice you to try and identify them. We're happy to help but we'd need some good pictures to work with.
    I have not done a full water test because we are in the process of moving and this tank we just bought and put together. The fish have been fine for the few days I have had them. But I know long run it could be horrible for them. I try to take good care of all the animals I bring into my home and if I had known about the fish before we met up at 10pm I would have asked him to rehome most of the fish.

Our cichlids are African. The smaller Pleco's are the same as the larger black ones. I will try to take pictures of all the fish but it is hard as the fish are almost always hiding or moving. I am not the best photographer. I will ask my husband to try.

I think the current plan is to put the Angel's in our old 55g with a smaller Pleco, and look at the fish everyone has mentioned that can go with them and see what we like best.

The 100g will keep all our Africans and maybe 1 large pleco (but only if upon measurement the tank is larger than 100g.) the catfish, if they can stay and a few of the smaller plecos.

The Kuhli loach will get 4 new friends, so will my daughters oto, we will add 5 neons and either an African Dwarf Frog or a Betta. I need to do more research but that will all go in the 30g.

My youngest will get a 5 gallon with a betta, or she will get the 55g and no betta. Her name is Angel and she already claims the Angel fish as her own.

Everything else will get a new home, preferably where they can live out their life in comfort. We are in Southern California if anyone has a pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Your tank is also probably larger than you purchased it thinking, it has 2 center braces which would indicate a 6ft setup...given its height I would say most likely a 125G. It also came with very adequate filtration another perk.

Choose what fish you like from the tank(if any) and stock around that. L.fasciatus are very cool fish often seen housed with large cichlids as sort of a dither fish. They are tough as nails, and often leave other fish alone outside of their own kind which they typically fight unless in large groups. Which is interesting how 2 seem to be coexisting in there.

1 common pleco wouldn't be horrible for a tank this size with adequate filtration...they are huge bioload producers so beware. There are many different subspecies of "common pleco" so it really is hard to determine how large yours will get. Most seem to grow between 12-18"...of course some report 2ft+ common plecos but evidence of them growing that large in the home aquarium is few and far between.
    I forgot about the L.fasciatus I will keep them with the cichlids. I am going to measure and recalculate today. We got two tanks that size but the other one is going to my 3 adult whites tree frogs who are currently in a 30g. They would love bigger room I am sure. Though they do not have to have it.

We paid very little for all we got and I am very happy with all we got, put I wish I had known about the fish and I would have made sure to ask the kinds and been more prepared.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by babywantsfish View Post
    We paid very little for all we got and I am very happy with all we got, put I wish I had known about the fish and I would have made sure to ask the kinds and been more prepared.
    You probably got a great deal! It's also possible that the previous owner might not even know everything that's in the tank - so many fish are sold with one label and are really another type of fish.

Many people here post photos to see if someone can ID them.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies