· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default New 100 gallon came with fish

0 Not allowed!
    We use to have guppies and mollies. We then switched to a 50 gallon with ciclids. We now are at a 100 gallon but it came with fish and is a mess right now. I have it so they levels are settled and the fish are active but I now have no clue what I have.

Here are some pics. We have 2 100 gallon api canister filters, a 75 gallon fluval canister filter, a 60 gallon aquaon hanging filter and a 60 gallon topfin hanging filter. We are still working on getting all the bubblers in.

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/tr...?sort=3&page=1

I right now need to know what all we have. I know we have African Cichlids and 2 Angels. Some of the African Ciclids (the yellow ones were in the tank already). I know there is a Chinese algae eater, and at least one common pleco. What else do I have?

Also there was a tiny eel in the tank, the guys said it had been there for years and never got any bigger, we put it in the 5 gallon with the one surviving otto, which is going to move into a 30 gallon and get friends and some tetra in a month or two. The eel is about 2 inches and blackish brown. I do not have a pic of him.
    Last edited by babywantsfish; 06-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    My honest opinion would be to sell most of the fish and start out with fish that you like

I see a mix of random cichlids, angels, a few barbs and a large common pleco (will outgrow the tank)

0 Not allowed!
    The black and yellow one's look like a HUGE version of the Tilapia in my LFS. I don't know though. They are supposed to be REALLY aggressive. They may not be.

That also looks like a huge yellow barb or something.

Sorry I'm not much help. Just taking guesses.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Banded leporinus (long striped ones)
    Very large(common?) plecos
    Albino tinfoil barb
    Electric yellow cichlids
    Angelfish
    Other Africans I don't know.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by babywantsfish View Post
    Also there was a tiny eel in the tank, the guys said it had been there for years and never got any bigger, we put it in the 5 gallon with the one surviving otto, which is going to move into a 30 gallon and get friends and some tetra in a month or two. The eel is about 2 inches and blackish brown. I do not have a pic of him.
    The eel is probably a black kuhli loach. he won't get bigger.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Banded leporinus (long striped ones)
    Very large(common?) plecos
    Albino tinfoil barb
    Electric yellow cichlids
    Angelfish
    Other Africans I don't know.
    The other Africans came from a pet store and except for an electric blue one are bred for the colors I think and a general mixture. Thanks for the names. I like the fish and think they are all really cool. I am afraid the very large plecos will out grow the tank there are 3 yellow and 2 black ones. But the guys said they have been that size for 3 years. So he did not expect them to get bigger. I also forgot to add there is atleast one large black catfish.

0 Not allowed!
    You have a mess is what you have. Africans have to have a tank to themselves. Angels can not be with them. I'd start trying to give all the ones away you don't want.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that you guys have identified some of the fish and I can research. What would you do with the tank? Can I keep the fish like this or do I need to rehome some of the fish. Can it wait or do they need rehomed now? Which ones to keep. We love the Angels and the cichilds. My husband thinks the large plecos are really neat. But I want to get the tank completely stable and keep it fun and fairly easy to keep, like we had gotten the 50 gallon to.

Can the Angels go in a 30 gallon and what can go with them if they can?
    Last edited by babywantsfish; 06-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    The angels and africans are in a crazy mix... Watch the Leoprenus they are TERRORS! The Albino and common bnp need a pond... I would try to get everything sold to the LFS and start from scratch. Thats a crazy grouping.

If you like the angels, keep the angels and make it a great community tank. You shouldnt have an issue with that. Pleco's need a pond but you CAN get some 6-8in max pleco's if you like those types of fish. Just make sure you study what they need. Africans and anything else do not go together.

A cool stocking if you like these fish though is the angels, some kribensis, a sailfin pleco and a large tetra like congo's or columbians.
    Last edited by Sandz; 06-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    The angels and africans are in a crazy mix... Watch the Leoprenus they are TERRORS! The Albino and common bnp need a pond... I would try to get everything sold to the LFS and start from scratch. Thats a crazy grouping.
    We only had Africans and a young pleco to start with in our 50. The guy did not tell us about the fish when we started. So when we got there we did not know what to do.

We love the Angels.

My daughters who are 6 and 7 are getting a 30 gallon in their room. They have and otto and a small black eel in a 5 gallon that will be moving into it. I know Angels will eat other fish, how likely are they to attack otto's and tetra which is what the girls want?