· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If my idea fails (gravity fed) this might be an option too http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/sk...alkdripper.htm
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    lol. if it works I guess I'll have to patent it

Yep. Need my royalties for a used peanut butter jar and valve

But, I am gonna see if I can build it tonight and test with plain water into another jar or something to calibrate it
    Hey, you gotta take what you can get, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Be careful with any type of automatic dosing system for plant ferts. Some of them can become separated when left in a container for a while. This is why on some of them you will find the manufacture has printed instructions on the bottle to shake the bottle before dosing. You really should not try to dose ferts that are like that. Just something to keep in mind and double check.

I wanted to use a extra dosing pump that I have on my planted tank so I would not have to worry about forgetting to add ferts, but decided against it as at least one of the ferts that I use needs to be shaken very well before dosing.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    So far I got a prototype, pictures in am. The ferts I use require a mild mixing (metricide doesn't. For now I am thinking of using it for a few days (once I get a good flow). And then maybe use it when I won't be home. Made some major changes from this afternoon :)

0 Not allowed!
    As long as there are ferts in the tank, the plants will use them when the lights are on. So if you dose your tank at 6:00pm every night, they will use them until the lights go off, then start using them again when the lights come on in the morning. It's not like they will be filtered out. Dosing the tank on your work schedule is fine. I dose mine around 6:00pm, and the lights go off at 8:30pm. They come back on at 12:30pm the next day. I have densely planted tanks with CO2 and carpets. I have never had a problem dosing the tank after the lights have been on for more the 3/4 of the photoperiod for the day.

I think you might be overthinking the dosing. The plants will use the ferts when the lights are on. When the lights are off, the ferts will not go anywhere, and the plants will use them when the lights come back on.

0 Not allowed!
    Why don't you just dose in the morning before you go to work?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    As long as there are ferts in the tank, the plants will use them when the lights are on. So if you dose your tank at 6:00pm every night, they will use them until the lights go off, then start using them again when the lights come on in the morning. It's not like they will be filtered out. Dosing the tank on your work schedule is fine. I dose mine around 6:00pm, and the lights go off at 8:30pm. They come back on at 12:30pm the next day. I have densely planted tanks with CO2 and carpets. I have never had a problem dosing the tank after the lights have been on for more the 3/4 of the photoperiod for the day.

I think you might be overthinking the dosing. The plants will use the ferts when the lights are on. When the lights are off, the ferts will not go anywhere, and the plants will use them when the lights come back on.
    I agree that the ferts will be ok, but the metricide (CO2) should be more focused on the time the lights are on.

And LH, I think that would be worse actually, I leave for work about 8 hours before the lights come on...
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    First try, PB jar didn't seal well enough, and using a mason jar had to be the plan. Also, the gravity fed made a mess or didn't flow, was hit or miss
    2013-06-11_18-31-17_871.jpg

Switched to mason jar, have 1 air feed line, one liquid line
    2013-06-11_21-20-25_589.jpg

Use the air pump to pressurize the jar, forcing the liquid up and out
    2013-06-11_21-20-12_322.jpg

Still trying to calibrate it to slow enough, the plan I am thinking is to have this air pump on same timer as the lights, total of about 8 hours, so the goal is to get to about 1 drop per minute

Assuming 1 drop = 1/20th of a ml, I would get 3ml per hour and end up with the approximate amount of the ferts daily over the same 8 hours the lights are on.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    I vaguely recal a home built setup using a simple timer and a couple of cheap dosing pumps. total material costs wasn't that much, 50, 60 euros something like. If you're interested I'll do some digging for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm an engineer if you couldn't tell lol. 50-60 Euros = around $70 USD... that would be a bit much for what I'm looking. Heck, I might not even use this thing. But its more play around a develop something that works

If I end up doing my aquarium rack in the future I think something like this could be built with a manifold to dose multiple tanks, each with its own valve
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread