· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: Which new console would you consider buying are are most looking forward to?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xbox One

3 20.00%
  • Playstation 4

12 80.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Xbox One vs Playstation 4

0 Not allowed!
    So, it's been a seemingly long time since I've had any real amount of time to play video games (especially on a console), since I have kids now (and other obligations), but I try to dabble in new games here and there. And let's not kid ourselves... I'm never going to outgrow video games. I grew up with them and I'll probably always have at least one modern console system in the family/game/theater room until the day I die... unless I live to see the Zombie Apocalypse or a ravished homeland, due to a civil war or World War 3.

All of that being said, I'm still pretty excited to see the next round of Console systems arrive. Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 were released in 2005 and 2006, respectively, so it's been about 8 years for an update (a real update - hardware/capabilities/etc) to both. To put this in perspective: the original Xbox was released in 2001 and Playstation 2 was released in 2000. These releases typically occur every 4-5 years and have for... well, years. This time, it's taken a while (about 8), so it's a pretty big update.

I'm equally excited for both consoles, because I've been equally impressed with both PS3 and XB360, and from what I've seen of screenshots from upcoming games and the newly released images/specs of hardware, it's safe to say that they're both going to be capable of astonishing achievements in graphics/gameplay.

I used to keep Nintendo in the mix, back in the days of NES, SNES and N64, but since Wii, I've been disappointed with Nintendo's foray into mostly kid-only gaming and lack of interest in progressing with graphic capabilities. It looks like they've turned Wii U into a more friendly adult machine, but they're not tricking anybody. ;P

So, that leaves us with two consoles to choose from - two that are attempting to be serious, that is for the gamers who have grown with the systems and offering both kid-friendly and adult-friendly gaming options.

I ran across an entertaining article pitting the XB One and PS4 against each other, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-dZwNlZaZls

Both have similar components and even look pretty similarly. I think their capabilities will be mostly equivalent and the only things truly setting them apart are the exclusive games available to each system.

My question to you: If you were to buy one of these console systems, which would it be and why?

I can't be the only gamer in here, right? ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    was just reading that PS4 will be $100 cheaper and allow owners a few things the Xbox One won't:

1. Xbox one you need to play online only - ps4 offer off line single/multi player
    2. Most games you will need to "check in" daily to keep it going - not with PS4 though
    3. You will be able to use used games with ps4 unlike xbox one

decision is easy

0 Not allowed!
    It was a toss-up for me, until MS threw in the "always-connected" requirement and the "no-used games" clause.

I've had a PS, an XB, a PS2, an XB360, but not a PS3. PS3 never dropped to a price that I deemed appropriate to have a 2nd console. I expect the same thing will happen for XB One and PS4, so I'm picking one of the two and sticking to it.

I do find it humorous that MS is forced to kowtow to Sony's Blu-Ray, knowing how they felt about it back in 2004/2005 and how they threw in their support for HD DVD.

Hardware wise, I feel like they're pretty similar - despite the memory class/speed (which could make the difference in graphic quality), but I bet it's a pittance. The gaming library is a toss-up for me. I went with 360 last time and have become familiar with their titles, like Halo, Fable, Gears of War, etc... and I really like them. If I jump ship, I'll certainly miss the ongoing storylines and such, but on the other hand, I've read about and wished I could play many games that came out on PS3, that I didn't have access too. Double-edged sword, I guess.

The price is definitely a factor, but when you're talking about an electronic component that can triple as a video game console + blu-ray player + online streaming device (like roku), a $100 difference is seemingly negligible... though, not too negligible.

It seems to me that Xbox One will have the superior online interface via Xbox Live. I've always found it to be simple to use and easy to access most anything. The GUI was quite friendly, as well. I never got that feeling from PS3. Perhaps it'll be different this time around.

All of that being said, I'll take the $100 and stick with PS4, due to the original freedom issues. I want complete ownership on the things that I buy and I prefer the freedom option to play a game whenever I want to play it, be it online or not. I could use some new games, anyway. ;P

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest, I am a bit biased. I have have ps1, ps2 and ps3 now.

To me, sports titles are better on ps3, while you have first person shooters on xbox (halo etc)

I like the online for PS3 because its free, not 100% functional all the time, but not having to pay to play my games is nice lol

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Well... I am an XBOX user. I have literally every console ever made from Atari to the 360 (I skipped the handhelds after the gameboy advanced because I can install them on my phone). Xbox is making the biggest push for the HDMI1 slot. They have voice recognition turn on, profile voice recognition, streaming cable with a GUI that is a dvr as well replacing the need to have a dvr on a cable bill, a PVR to record and upload gameplay to youtube, etc...

I had this same conversation with a Co-worker, shes a die hard PS3 user. Mostly because shes a cheap scate and settled for a sub par dashboard and online gaming system that lacked fluency and updates while also losing out to Microsoft in the rights to the first updates. All major PS3 updates came out with serious bugs and things I would never continue to support.

An update for those that enjoyed the free ps3 network... its 60 bucks a year now. Xbox Live is 50 and I have no idea if thats going to increase or not. Xbox's utilization of funds to continue to evolve their product has been a welcome thing. I have seen 3 new GUI dashboards in the past year with major improvements. Certain things are lacking and as we get closer to release time, less and less focus is going to be put on existing products like the 360. I already see impact to the latest call of duty as their lag compensation and general connectivity is crap.

On the topic of the always on mode... I dont mind it. I dont know a single person who owns an xbox and doesnt primarily use it for internet based activities. I always expect to be connected to the internet when I use my xbox. We are far past the times when the snes and n64 were just to sit down and play a 1p game.

Again both boxes have taken on a different approach, one sends faster info to the graphics (ps4) and the other is focussed on sheer oporation speed. For 500 bucks, I would be an xbox 1 customer, but I have seen the xbox take less and less of my attention. I just retired from running a game battles competitive clan and dropped Call of Duty it cold turkey. I find myself playing more NCAA College Football and Tiger Woods Golf..

One last comment over the two is the controller. The controller for the xbox is leaps and bounds over the ps3 based on ergonomics. I couldnt use a ps3 controller on any day my fibromyalgia is acting up.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh hey - a side note. Those who dont want to pay a lot and love free games, a product called the Steambox has come out. Its 149.00 and is a developers console where you get free games and the developers make money off selling add ins. Something to look at for those of us who just like trying the new cool app.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its 49.99/yr for the ps plus.

yea, that's the new downside to the playstation, but w/ ps+ you get free games, cheaper add on's. etc. it'll be a welcome change w/ the community to emulate how microsoft updated their 360. it really levels the playing field now.

but the internet checking will hurt them-no active duty military can use the xbox, students at college where this can and sometimes is blocked (my old university blocked consoles), kids travel and bring them to hotels, their grandparents. lots of remote people don't have internet or chose to opt out. so there is still a market, albeit it is smaller now, for not having internet when playing games.

connect seems great for tv stuff-but its never been a success for gaming-it didn't do well w/ the 360. I hope they can make something cool out of it, but it was rough initially.

the big concern with the connect is the 'always' watching you thing-it remains pretty much always on to recognize you and 'hear' you say 'xbox on'
    NOT getting into politics, but many people and countries are not okay with that for privacy issues and the big NSA stuff going on. bad timing for microsoft on that piece.

the controller is a toss up-i grew up with the playstation style-so that is natural and fits perfect to my hands. when playing friends xbox-i fail EPICALLY. lol. its the darnest thing to go from one to the other. i simply cannot do it.

lastly, is the used games....that's a rough one right there. i wouldn't have half my games if it wasn't for gamestop and used games. i cant justify 60bucks for a game i'm unsure about...but 8month later, and decent reviews. i'll try it out for 30, or rent it. many people still do that, or borrow friends games to try things out. xbox is 'tentatively' not allowing that to happen.

I say we all buy the original Wii and have fun with mario cart. everybody loves that game. :) :)

0 Not allowed!
    If I want to play multiplayer, I'll typically head to the PC, because that's where I'm more comfortable playing online games - usually FPS, strategy or MMORPGs. The console is my go-to for 3rd person shooters, sports/racing, and some rpgs and if I have to, fps (like Halo). I'd opt to play Halo on the Xbox rather than the PC, mainly based on the sheer fact that it was developed with the Xbox in mind.

The games I usually play on the console are mainly 1-player games that I enjoy the story to. I really enjoy those epic games (like Mass Effect & Halo, for example) on my 65" television screen, rather than having to settle for my 23" monitor.

Honestly, I'm fine with utilizing something like Steam to play games (and remain online to do so). I feel that's acceptable and I've never had a problem with it... but buying a $500 console system, mainly to play video games, and not being able to if you're not online, seems pretty ridiculous to me. Steam is just software from a game publisher... you can choose to install it on your PC or not. XBox is basically a PC for your TV. MS needs to back off with that restriction. It's getting a little too big-brother and untrusting, if you ask me. They should treat their consumers with a bit more respect - the same holds true for their game-renting clause.

I've never had an issue with the Xbox controller or the PS controller, so that point is moot for me. I could go either way.

Everything I read says that PSN is still free, but you have to pay for the "plus" service, like you would with Xbox Live Gold. PSN+ gives you free games, access to more games, and discounts in the PSN store. So from what I've seen, PSN is still free to play games, use netflix and the other services (so long as you have an account, etc). I only had an XBox Live Gold account for about a year, anyway, before I decided it wasn't worth the money/service ratio that was offered.

I will admit that XB360's dashboard/GUI is far superior to PS3, but honestly... is it worth an addition $100? I don't know... and we don't know what PS4's dashboard/GUI will be like yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    lastly, is the used games....that's a rough one right there. i wouldn't have half my games if it wasn't for gamestop and used games. i cant justify 60bucks for a game i'm unsure about...but 8month later, and decent reviews. i'll try it out for 30, or rent it. many people still do that, or borrow friends games to try things out. xbox is 'tentatively' not allowing that to happen.

I say we all buy the original Wii and have fun with mario cart. everybody loves that game. :) :)
    lol, Mario Cart is a blast... that's true. ;P

I'm right there with you on the used games... that is at least 50% of my collection... if not 90%. Not to mention that's Game Stop's true bread and butter. They make a killing on used games. I know, because I used to work there as an Assistant Manager. The prices they buy games back for are atrocious in comparison to what they sell them for.

0 Not allowed!
    I may be somewhat of an elitist, but pc gaming blows both out of the water.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff