· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Oh dear...I'm still researching a four foot tank...stocking ideas to encourage me!

0 Not allowed!
    This niggle of mine hasn't gone away, I think I might look into upgrading my 120 litre tank to something around the 300-350 litre mark.

Can anyone recommend any solid brands of tank this size? I'm obviously looking at the European market here so maybe some won't be available to me, but I'd appreciate any recommendations (and equally...warnings against some). I'm looking for solid build quality - and must come with a good hood and lighting options for a planted tank. I already have enough filtration to keep this sized tank (Eheim Pro 3, Eheim Classic 2213).

My current stock is:
    28 cherry barbs
    10 otocinclus
    7 peppered cory
    5 sterbai cory
    Assassin snails

I'd probably double my cory stock and get one or two more schooling species. I think rummynoses would be one definite addition, but would appreciate any other recommendations.

London water is quite hard (I haven't tested it though)
    pH is 7.5 from the tap (settling to 7.0 in the tank)
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You can't have Rummy nose without Cardinals, IMO, LOL.

Being serious, for something new that would go with Rummy's, I would suggest Blue tetra's. They are silmiler shaped.

I've always loved Rosy tetra's and Columbian's have become very popular.

Smaller suggetions would be Embers and Green Neons.

Harlequins would be nice if you want to get away from tetras.

I've seen two new tetras listed in UK websites that would be great to keep. One is the Redline and the other is the Bleeding blue.

Hope this helps.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Steeler, I was hoping you'd chip in Thanks. Yes - I do like cardinals...but I'd be a little concerned about their sensitivity in London water (I'm not interested in going down the RO route just yet).

I've never seen the blue tetra before - these look interesting.

I really like the look of harlies but I think they might be a bit too similar (colour-wise) to my current cherry barbs.

I've been thinking about gold tetra too. That flash of silver. I think I will go to the LFS this week to observe the species they have in stock and take some notes for further research (I don't do much quickly when it comes to this).

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Gold tetras are pretty cool but the wild caught ones are the only ones that live up to the name. Tank raised ones are still pretty attractive but look like a silver fish instead of gold; more on this condition here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47534661,d.cGE.

You might also consider your Buenos Aires tetra, although they get a little bigger.
    Last edited by steeler58; 06-10-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

0 Not allowed!
    Buenos Aires would be cool, but having kept them previously in a 6 footer, I don't think they'd get justice in my viewing.

Lemon tetra might be a thought. Bloodfin tetra perhaps...too much red with the barbs and tummies? Jeez, the options are endless! I've just seen a great video of some penguin tetra. Interesting and different.

Haven't told my other half I'm plotting this yet.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thats half the fun, LOL.
    -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
    Often it's easier to ask for and receive forgiveness than permission :-)
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Lemon tetra's would contrast nicely with your Cherry barbs IMO. But if you could find these guys: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=110845...lets just say I would be so jealous, LOL.
    Last edited by steeler58; 06-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
    They look like bleeding hearts...but bright yellow! Interesting.

Right...I've held off long enough now. I'm going to the LFS to do some in-person research.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm almost decided on a school of penguin tetra + something else...maybe cardinals, although my water is not particularly well suited to them.