· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation White cloudy aquarium - tried everything, nothing works!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone. I'm having some severe fish tank issues and in need of some help. I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 tiger oscars, 1 angelfish, 1 firebelly cichlid, and a large pleco. No new additions of fish within the last two months, at least. Last week, my fish tank all of a sudden was a white cloudy color. It was not directly after a water change or addition or filter change. I have tried to use ph increase, two different kinds of correct ph 7.0 (the fizzy tabs and the powdery stuff), water conditioner, and tetra's cloudy water treatment. Nothing has changed in the tank, yet I am seeing a high level of nitrates and an extremely high level of alkalinity, plus a very low ph. I am completely lost as I have never had this issue before. I have tried all of these different treatments and have seen no changes in the water levels at all. My tank is well established (at least a year). What should I do?

0 Not allowed!
    Long story short.. bad stock = bacteria issues

Don't use chemicals such as pH increase etc, they only stress the fish out, pH doesn't need to be right at 7.0. They prefer stability more than anything

You have way too many fish for that tank size, each oscar needs a 75g tank, if its a common pleco it needs a pond, the angelfish and firebelly each need larger tanks

My guess is the high nitrates are causing all of your problems, and you will start losing fish

For now, until you can rehome all of the fish, I would do at least a 50% water change daily. Don't change the filters, only clean in old tank water as needed (when they start falling apart then change but put old one in new one)

start with rehoming fish and we can go from there

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Hardy

Sounds like a bacterial bloom to me and just to echo what's already been said - every single fish in the tank would outgrow a 30gal (by themselves). This is one of the things that happens pretty consistently with new fish keepers. Little research and an unhelpful pet store = too much stock in too little a tank.

Like Hardy said, I'd start re-homing your fish, before they become ill due to ammonia poisoning, continue with a fishless cycle, re-plan your stocking (there's plenty that can be done with a 30gal) and start over.

If you need any help with the above, just let us know.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of fish, means lots of organic waste. This causes heterotrophic bacteria to multipy really fast. The short term way to reduce cloudiness, is to change the water and gravel vacuum. The long term way solution is to only have enough fish adequate for a 30g tank.

Low ph (when your tap water is not low in ph) is a good indicator that there is a lot of waste in the tank.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 06-10-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    That's quite an interesting assortment of fish in your 30 gallon. How about some pictures of your tank?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I got a feeling we won't see OP again.

0 Not allowed!
    You're probably right.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Darn it!
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Long story short.. bad stock = bacteria issues

Don't use chemicals such as pH increase etc, they only stress the fish out, pH doesn't need to be right at 7.0. They prefer stability more than anything

You have way too many fish for that tank size, each oscar needs a 75g tank, if its a common pleco it needs a pond, the angelfish and firebelly each need larger tanks

My guess is the high nitrates are causing all of your problems, and you will start losing fish

For now, until you can rehome all of the fish, I would do at least a 50% water change daily. Don't change the filters, only clean in old tank water as needed (when they start falling apart then change but put old one in new one)

start with rehoming fish and we can go from there
    My pH level is VERY low, like a 6.0-6.2, the lowest on the test range. I have younger fish, they are smaller and I was told that all of the fish that I had in my tank (from 4 different stores) were fine together in the same tank. I did my research by traveling around to so many different stores to figure this out. My angelfish is extremely small, maybe 2 inches (if that) long. The firebelly is 3-4 inches. The oscars are 4-5 inches. All of the fish are still pretty young. why would an algae eater need a pond? I have seen them in fish tanks all over the place. I only have another 10 gallon tank, so that won't help much in "rehoming" the fish. If I were to move them to the other tank, what would you recommend?

0 Not allowed!
    We're guessing that your pleco is a "common" pleco. These get up to 1-2ft in length. If you have another type, it could be a different story. I'm guessing that you're seeing these plecos in fish stores? They sell them young and they can live for 30yrs.

Younger fish grow older. They become larger and more territorial - especially the fish you have right now. They will get cramped, they will get territorial and you will have dead bodies floating upside down, eventually.

By "rehome" we mean take them back to the store you got them from, or find someone else who might take them off your hands. Otherwise, you can upgrade your tank to something quite a bit larger and you'll be fine. Your angelfish can get up to 6", your firebelly can reach 4-7" depending on sex, your Oscars can reach 9-13".

Your tank is 36 x 18 x 12".