· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cool New 55 US Gallon Setup

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all!

I recently started getting back into the aquarium hobby, and have begun to cycle a 55 gallon tank. I will be making this a freshwater community tank, no live bearers and trying to avoid even semi-aggressive fish. More plants and decor will be added soon. I owned a 40 gallon community tank years ago, only to have the fishes' swim bladders explode :(

I'm thinking:

Gold Barb
    Cherry Barb
    Giant Danio
    Bristlenose Plecko (don't want one that will be a monster)
    Buenos Aires Tetra
    Red Eye Tetra
    Bloodfin Tetra

Does anyone know anything about the Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra? Saw these at a local store and don't know anything about them.

Any suggestions or comments or ideas would be appreciated!

Here is the tank as it lies right now:

Correction... won't let me upload my .jpeg. Will try later.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra are gentle tetras which should be kept with like temperamental fish. They should be kept in schools of 8 or more. I think they will look great in your 55 gallon tank once it's cycled.
    Are you planning on any driftwood, live plants?
    I've had some Red Eye Tetras which picked on the gentler fish in the tank but I've had other schools of Red Eye's which played among themselves.
    How many of each are you planning on getting from your stocking list?
    Remember, filtration is best over powered.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    of the schooling fish you listed, the giant danios, buenos aires and redeye tetras might be nippy on occasion.
    all fish except for the bristlenose pleco will need to be kept in schools of at least 6. your tank will not support all those fish
    so it is best to pick one or two of your favorite schooling species and then get those. a tank with few species but larger numbers of each looks
    prettier, is more natural and better for the fish anyways.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know about the Tetras!

No driftwood or live plants, just plastic plants with some basic decorations.

I left the number of fish to stock per species undefined because I wasn't quite sure myself... I know most of the fish I listed school in groups of 5 so I'm just trying to get a feel for things.

Currently running a Fluval 70 HOB filter. I understand they used to be Aquaclear (?) and I had a good experience with their products.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thank you!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Just a thought, your 55 gallon has alot of room under it I presume, why not add a second filter. This will add to your beneficial bacteria and give you peace of mind as your getting the water movement throughout the tank. I used to have a HOB and a canister on my 55 gallon. I have given both of those filters to my son for his community tank as I went from fresh water to saltwater. Duel filters are the way to go in my opinion. The tank just stays low in nitrates with a full load of fish.
    Plecos like driftwood, some even need it to survive.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I would def add a second filter. Not a must, but would help. Another Fluval (aquaclear 50 or 70 would be perfect). I have two 110's on my 55 :)

I would recommend picking up driftwood and some rock for deco, IMO it looks much more natural (even with fake plants) and also the BN pleco requires driftwood, they munch on it and it helps there stomachs. It doesn't leave big marks or anything like that. I just got 2 babies and I love them.

I would say 2 to 3 schools, maybe do 1 centerpiece fish, or just a few large schools of colorful fish

55g tanks are great because of how many options you can have

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    Just a thought, your 55 gallon has alot of room under it I presume, why not add a second filter. This will add to your beneficial bacteria and give you peace of mind as your getting the water movement throughout the tank. I used to have a HOB and a canister on my 55 gallon. I have given both of those filters to my son for his community tank as I went from fresh water to saltwater. Duel filters are the way to go in my opinion. The tank just stays low in nitrates with a full load of fish.
    Plecos like driftwood, some even need it to survive.
    I had heard that it is preferred to have 2-3 times the capacity of the tank as your water flow. I will be grabbing a second Fluval 70 soon. Thanks!

Been looking at driftwood, but there is a warning label on it about a chemical (can't recall which) which it contains... need to find out more.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I would def add a second filter. Not a must, but would help. Another Fluval (aquaclear 50 or 70 would be perfect). I have two 110's on my 55 :)

I would recommend picking up driftwood and some rock for deco, IMO it looks much more natural (even with fake plants) and also the BN pleco requires driftwood, they munch on it and it helps there stomachs. It doesn't leave big marks or anything like that. I just got 2 babies and I love them.

I would say 2 to 3 schools, maybe do 1 centerpiece fish, or just a few large schools of colorful fish

55g tanks are great because of how many options you can have
    Yes, good suggestion. I will be adding another Fluval 70. Thanks you!

Know anything about chemicals in or associated with driftwood? I saw a warning label on it in Petco, not sure what to do...

0 Not allowed!
    Driftwood will release so called tannins into your tank water, making it more acidic and also staining it a translucent tea color. The effect is minimal of you presoak the wood first and some people even like it. If you keep soft water fish (including your proposed stock) they will enjoy the effects of driftwood in water.