· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default way too much evaporaton

0 Not allowed!
    every week about 1-3 inches of water disappears in my 10 gallon.
    because there is less water in the tank the water reaches 30 degrees Celsius.
    and i have to keep topping it off every other day to keep the temperature stable.
    this sucks.
    anyone know how to stop this.
    it doesn't happen too much in my other tanks

0 Not allowed!
    Are you 100% certain that it's evaporation and not a slow leak?

Is there a lid on the tank? Are there gaps in the lid that can be sealed up?

Also, a good heater should not heat the water hotter than it is set to, no matter how little water it's in - I think your heater might be malfunctioning. A higher temperature would also account for more evaporation than your other tanks (the warmer the water, the faster it evaporates) - I would suggest getting a new heater with a good thermostat to see if that solves the problem.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I say get a lid with little to no gaps as dizzydezzy suggested. My saltwater tank went through water like crazy until I sealed up the lid openings.
    As far as keeping the temperature constant, central air when the temperature gets up there will do the trick.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    a 50 watt heater is what is recommended for a 10 gallon tank.
    the heater that is in their is what i am guessing 75 watt or more.
    i do not know exactly because it is used.
    i have another one but that one does not tell me how to adjust the temp.
    i lowered the temperature on the heater to get the water cooler.
    where can i get another lid

0 Not allowed!
    Should be able to get a glass lid for a 10g in most pet stores, maybe around $10-15 range. Petsmart and petco do sell them as well. The lid is made out of 2 pieces of glass with a plastic hinge connecting them. Also along the backside there is a plastic lid extender, that you can cut with a knife. So you can cut out holes for the filter and anywhere else cords need to go. Should be able to cut down the amount of water escaping the tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My 55 gallon does not have a cover and most of the time I lose about half a gallon per day due to evaporation. I thought that was pretty insane, but its consistent.

I lose much less in my 20 long, but that has a cover on which a ton of condensation is captured and drips back into tank. Just FYI.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    yea idk mine already has a cover with condensation but it keeps evaporating.
    i can't find a lid that is the right size so i guess i will be topping water off

0 Not allowed!
    All my tanks are open tops. Mid-way through the week, I have to fill them all up again. 1" a day is about average, winter or summer.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    think of it as a free humidifier for your room.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Just a thought but if you have an HOB filter, does it have a lid? I remember I took a lid off a filter once because it rattled a bit - and boy did I sure notice a jump in evaporation. I put a piece of saran wrap on it and problem solved.

The more water surface agitation you have will also increase your evaporation...