· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Anyone know how to de-stink a skunk tail?

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I've just gone and done something incredibly stupid. We went out to eat at the Jack-In-The-Box down the street, and I saw a dead skunk in the road right next to our house on the way. I think you can maybe guess what I did.
    Most people would have gone "Eww!" and probably called the highway department to get it, but not me, nope... I went inside for some latex gloves. I'm sure some random people out there are now telling an aqquantance about the teenage girl they saw getting a dead skunk off the road.
    When I picked up the skunk, I could tell that it smelled bad, but I had it as far away from me as possible and I was walking into a headwind, so I couldn't smell much. I put the darn thing in our yard, went inside to get a knife, walked back out, and was greeted by a wall of STENCH!
    Well, now I had a horribly smelly skunk in our yard, and people were starting to notice. I got my knife, held my breath, and walked up to that ball of smelly fur. The first thing that I noticed was the fact that, even with my breath held, I could still smell it!
    That really should have tipped me off to the fact that this wasn't smart. But noo, of course, it didn't. I tried to cut the tail off with the knife, realized it wasn't gonna work, and ran. When I came back, I had a pair of hedge trimmers. The first time I tried to cut off the tail, it slipped out from between the blades. Then I ran out of air. Before I knew it, I'd inhaled...
    Right next to the bashed-open, half-rotten, fly-covered, bearing-full-but-punctured-scent-glands dead skunk.
    Not fun. At all.
    Everything spun for a moment, and I seriously thought I was gonna faint. I mean, I've smelled disgusting things. I've smelled busted-open week-old trash bags that have been marinating in Texas heat. I've smelled a dead, rotting possum that had been in a plastic bag overnight, and that almost made me throw up, but let me tell you, they don't even begin to compare to that skunk!
    I think the only reason I didn't pass out is because I was so darn shocked by the sheer smell of that. I ran away from the stupid thing, gagged a few times, and....
    Did I do the sensible thing and get the hey out of Skunk Dodge? No. Of course not. I held my breath again and went back for a second try. This time, I got the tail chopped off. Now, by this time, Mom had most definitely noticed the smell, and had come out to find her teenage daughter holding a skunk's tail and trying to not throw up.
    She'd known I was going to get the skunk, and had expressed her misgivings about this, but of course, silly me didn't listen. So, yeah. I walked up to the porch, dropped the tail on the sidewalk, half-yelled something about no more skunks and triple-bagging, and went inside for some garbage bags. I mean, I couldn't leave that thing in our yard, not without gassing the neighborhood!
    The skunk is now triple-bagged in the trash can, the smell has faded, and the tail is in the garage being marinated in odor remover. Also, I have told every member of the family that if I ever say "Dead skunk" without "Just bones" immediately before or after it, they should STOP ME!
    Funny thing: After I'd bagged that thing, I went back outside, and there was a vulture circling our yard. He'd have been welcome to the skunk, but no way was I unbagging it!
    As I type this up, I'm occasionally inhaling from a non-lit scented candle to keep from losing my dinner at the memory of that stench. Never, and I repeat, NEVER get anywhere near or downwind of a dead, busted-open skunk that's been roasting on a Texas highway!
    Okay, the point of this is that I have a skunk tail, obtained from a roadkilled skunk, that I'd like to get cleaned. It smells like hot roadkill at the moment, and I'd like to get it cleaned off so it doesn't smell like fresh-baked road pizza. The first thing I tried was spraying it with a whole lot of enzyme-based smell remover, meant for pet messes, and let it sit for something like 15 hours. After that, I rinsed it off in the sink, and have now sprayed it with a bunch of multi-purpose Febreze. It smells mildly better, but still pretty lousy. Anyone have any tips?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is quite an adventure.... lol I wonder what was going on through your head to get that skunk
    As to making it smell better, I have heard (never done it) that bathing it in tomato juice will do the trick. At least that's what you do for humans. I would try that. That is If I ever ran into the road to get a dead skunk that may be disease ridden. Which I will probably never do. Good luck amigo
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking... Basically, I didn't think it was gonna smell that bad, and I wanted a skunk tail...
    I've seen a Mythbusters episode where they tested smell-removal stuff, and the tomato juice doesn't work so well, apparently. It's not actually the skunk itself that smells bad, it smells like rot. The tail itself isn't rotten, it's just residual smell from the rotting body.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thank you! That should help, then the whole hung-in-a-tree thing will commence.

0 Not allowed!
    Saw this on an episode of Call of the Wild Man show and found a link on youtube. He uses something other than tomato juice.

0 Not allowed!
    Huh... How about that.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    ...I think that if I ever felt the need to purchase a skunk tail (or, knowing me, the entire pelt) I'd get one from an experienced tanner. There's a furrier/taxidermist in Saskatchewan who has craft-grade skunk pelts for about $30

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    Guaranteed skunk toxic stench remover: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide 3%, i tablespoon dawn dish detergent (must be dawn or you will waste your time). Mix this into a goopy paste, use a BIG bowl, its going to foam like crazy. Slather it using rubber gloves into the hair, and massage it in really really well, down to the roots. Let it sit for five minutes, rinse very well. Repeating once or twice will make sure the scent is dead as a doornail. The only caveat is it may lighten the hairs. used this formula gingerly to get skunk off my dog many many times.

Incidentally, a weaker solution of this will remove "cat whiz" from carpets (but will lighten / bleach them)
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Tiari, thanks! This should help a lot...