· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Think I found invaders in our river! Are they native?

0 Not allowed!
    I was just down at the San Gabriel river, and I found a Petsmart fish bag in the water. Never good.
    I called the store and gave them the bag's fish ID number, and it turned out it was 24 feeder goldfish. So either someone put 24 goldfish in the river, or they used the bag they had on hand to transport the fish I saw moments later. Two large blue fish, one male, one female, digging out a nest site.
    I looked them up, and they're apparently Theraps lentiginosus, AKA Big Blue Chichlids. Also, these are native to an area somewhere near us, although I'm pretty sure they were introduced. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned, or if these guys are okay to have in the river? I lost track of them, I'm not sure if I could possibly catch them... Although people fish there, I'm thinking someone might catch them.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Ah.. the irresponsible morons are everywhere.

Feeder goldfish shouldn't be an issue. Theraps lentiginosus might be, it's a cichlid that will breed quite a lot.

I'd advice you to see who's responsible for that part of the river and inform them.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Call the Fish and Game department.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm actually not sure that they don't belong there... I found out that they actually live in South Texas, is it possible that they've gotten up here to Central Texas? I just want to make sure I don't start up a big fuss for something that won't be that much of a problem.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!
    They are an invasive species in the United States. It is known that they are in the Southern States. Call someone about them if you want to. But they probably already know they are there.

0 Not allowed!
    Fishbase lists them as "Central America: Atlantic slope, in the Grijalva and Usumacinta River drainages in Mexico and Guatemala."

There's nothing wrong with a call during office hours to fish and game "hi, don't mean to cause a panic but I'm 99.9% sure I saw a central american cichlid species in the river" Something like that.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks, I'll definitely go do that!

EDIT: Does anyone have a number for Georgetown or Austin fish and game services? I can't seem to find it anywhere online...
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 06-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, thanks. I sent them an Email telling them what I saw and the near-exact location, right down to about a ten-by-thirty-foot section of shallow river. If they do send someone, I think a seine net would catch the blues fairly easily.