· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would remove the items that you think are contributing to the nitrate increase for at least a week. If there are plants attached to it, as a temporary solution move it to another tank or plastic bin.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had trouble with Nitrates ever since I set up my 75gal. It seems no matter what I do, the 'trates always stay at 40ppm. I was running an HOB, an Eheim 2217, and a Rena XP-m, but I just got a Rena XP-L and I'm selling the Eheim 2217. I tested my tap water and it was 0 for 'trates. I feed my fish only once a day, and it's a small amount. A matter of fact, my fish act like they never eaten when I feed them. Even my Neons come to the top to get food. All my fish are constantly looking for food, which was not how it was when I was feeding them twice a day.
    I have a number of Amazon Swords and a couple of Javas. I would say my tank is close to being medium planted. I do use some ferts. I follow the directions for the API test completely, and normally test for 'trates twice when testing. I've done 80% water changes, multiple times in a day, and still no change in my 'trates reading. And like the OP, all my fish are swimming around, eating, looking nice and bright, no red gills, no hanging at the surface, they growing and doing great. So I'm at the point where I don't put a lot of stock into testing my nitrates.

Ghpr13:l
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

0 Not allowed!
    You need to do some big water changes at least once a day until you can get those nitrates under control and rinse out your filter media, as well. The nitrate test only goes to 160 so if you did a 50% water change and get the same level after that water change, hard telling how high those nitrates really are.

Dirty filter media can also raise nitrates as the water is flowing through the same cruddy stuff putting it right back into the tank.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If your tap water is 0 (or under 10) and is testing that way, have you tried mixing the tap water 50/50 with your tap water to see if you can get a different result than the 160+? You could even mix it 25% tank to 75% tap as a way to see if the test is working - if it is, the result should decrease as the concentration of tap water increases.
    Allison

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aa62579 View Post
    If your tap water is 0 (or under 10) and is testing that way, have you tried mixing the TANK water 50/50 with your tap water to see if you can get a different result than the 160+? You could even mix it 25% tank to 75% tap as a way to see if the test is working - if it is, the result should decrease as the concentration of tap water increases.
    Correction.
    Allison

0 Not allowed!
    I know you've posted that you shake the bottles before testing, but in addition to shaking reagent #2 for at least 30 seconds prior to adding it, after you add it to the test tube (with reagent #1 already in it), you then need to cap the test tube and shake the tube itself for another 60 seconds -- a whole minute. Have you been doing that?

Another possibility is that one or more of your reagents is too old. What is the date on the bottles? They shouldn't be older than two or three years, maximum. After that, they become unreliable.

Finally, I would suggest, as Lady Hobbs has, that you clean your filter and its media. Could be, there's a huge build-up of trates in there.

With tap water testing at 0, your tank shouldn't be so high after that many water changes.

If nothing fixes this, you might want to try out a different test kit and see what those results are.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A silly question, but could you not take some of the water from your filter and test?

Just don't stir the bottom stuff up if a Filstar , just remove the motor piece and dip out the.5 ml stuff and test this might tell you if in the Filter stuff, and Lady

Hobbs I think might be Dead Nuts on there.

LOL

Jeff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I may ask, how do you know if your reagents is too old? I've looked and looked, but there's no date on my bottles, or anywhere on the test kit? I have an API Master test kit. Is it in a special place?
    Ghpr13
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

0 Not allowed!
    There should be a lot number on the bottle that you can use to tell if it has expired. Example and link below

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...p/t-76252.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    There should be a lot number on the bottle that you can use to tell if it has expired. Example and link below

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_...163001288C.jpg

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...p/t-76252.html
    Thanks Cliff.
    Ghpr13:)
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP