· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default freshwater to saltwater conversion... with eel (gymnothorax tile) living in tank

0 Not allowed!
    i purchased an eel about 2 months ago... he was advertised as being freshwater which i soon found out was not true. he was the only fish in the tank (55g) and i happened to have an extra protein skimmer laying around so i started adding salt. He instantly became very active and hungry lol.i have very very slowly rose the salinity to 1.018. he is still extremely happy. i will keep going to about 1.024 so i can add other marine fish.

ok now the question is... i am moving so i have to break the tank down anyway and i would like to replace the gravel with live sand, how would i go about doing this without causing an ammonia spike?

NOTE: the tank started as a fully cycled freshwater tank and has been converted to salt with the same gravel that was in fresh water.

0 Not allowed!
    You will get a ammonia spike when you add live sand. It will happen, the only question is how bad will it happen and how long it will last. It might be so small it won't last very long or maybe even not be very noticeable. But then again, it could spike your ammonia up to 1ppm and stay there for a while. That would not be worth the risk IMO.

Just take it slowly as you increase your salinity. You have to remember, the beneficial bacteria that you grew while it was a freshwater tank will die off and be replaced by different types of marine bacteria.

Do you have any marine rock in your tank

What are you currently using for filtration
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i do not have any white base rock but i have others large rocks i am getting some very soon though.
    i am currently running a 175gphcanister filter with a marineland 350gph and a coralife super skimmer ( made for up to 125g tank).
    would it be better to use not live sand and just do the tank in sections over time? i really want sand and i have another tank i can setup to move the eel too temporarily and just start his permanent home from scratch but if i can avoid doing that safely it would defiantly be ideal.

0 Not allowed!
    There are a lot of great looking marine sands you can buy which are not live sand. I would suggestion one of those.

I would also suggest adding some dry/dead rock to your tank. Over time it will become live and provide you with all the filtration that you need (provided you add enough of it). That works a lot better for filtration in marine aquariums than traditional filters do.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Dry_Sand_...FISSDS-ct.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awsome. thank you for the info im gonna get some rock asap

0 Not allowed!
    Just make sure you allow about 4 to 6 weeks before you remove the filters to allow the dead/dry rock to become live.

You will likely need a power head or two as well to keep good flow around the rock allowing it to filter out ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Plus 1 to the power heads. Note; stay away from the suction cup type. They fall off too often causing a mess. Get ones with a magnetic base. They stay in place.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sublime9 View Post
    i purchased an eel about 2 months ago... he was advertised as being freshwater which i soon found out was not true. he was the only fish in the tank (55g) and i happened to have an extra protein skimmer laying around so i started adding salt. He instantly became very active and hungry lol.i have very very slowly rose the salinity to 1.018. he is still extremely happy. i will keep going to about 1.024 so i can add other marine fish.

ok now the question is... i am moving so i have to break the tank down anyway and i would like to replace the gravel with live sand, how would i go about doing this without causing an ammonia spike?

NOTE: the tank started as a fully cycled freshwater tank and has been converted to salt with the same gravel that was in fresh water.
    I keep Morays and keep my Salinity at 1.026, they seam to thrive in that as do my Banners and Damsels. Good advice you've gotten, slow and steady increases and loads of Rock, an Eel that has a place to hide (they like tight fits) is a stress free Eel. Good luck!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just wanted to let everyone know the eel is now in full salt (1.024) with plenty of live rock and sand. he is 15in very wide and happy as could be hes been eating fresh salmon squid and occasionally some mussels. he is deffinently thriving. thanks every body for the help!!!