· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What is my betta's fin problem?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 1-yr old, fairly densely planted, 12 gallon fluval edge community tank w/ 1 male betta, 1 zebra nerite snail, 3 assassin snails & 10 rasboras. Betta also has resin tube cave surrounded by tall plants where he hangs out when not cruising all levels of the tank.

Had a series of procedures on my spine over the last 3 months & was unable to care for fish while recuperating. So hired someone who has had aquariums for decades. But when I was finally able to deal w/ tank, saw that my betta's fins appears ragged w/ small holes & light spots!

see attached betta_6/2012 photo & two taken today to compare....hard to get good shots because the betta is dark and the tank has light all around.

I check record of all 7-10 day 30% water changes when parameters tested, & they were always great. No real changes except the 3 times early on w/ issues w/ phosphate (which is high in the tap water here). so the person handling my tank started regularly using purigen filters (added to existing biomax etc) changed about every 30-40 days.

Described betta's fins to my LFS; owner initially suggested that rasboras were nipping at the Betta. I find that implausible because in a year that I've had this community tank on a highly visible counter btwn living room & kitchen, I've never seen the rasboras go after the betta. He chases the rasboras, not other way around. Not constantly, but almost like the betta thinks, "ok, I've been drifting and lurking for a few hours, let's do some impossible but fun exercise chasing those much faster fish for about 30 seconds, then ok, tired of dragging these veils around, lets stop.". But most of the time, it's more like the betta's a shark or whale floating around w/ pilot fish rasboras hanging out around him.

LSF then recommended treating tank with an antibiotic but also said it didn't sound like fin rot because it wasn't just on the edges of the fin but more in the interior.

Can anyone help me out w/ how to treat this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    SO SORRY
    Posted in wrong forum!

3. Default treatment for betta fins

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 1-yr old, fairly densely planted, 12 gallon fluval edge community tank w/ 1 male betta, 1 zebra nerite snail, 3 assassin snails & 10 rasboras. Betta also has resin tube cave surrounded by tall plants where he hangs out when not cruising all levels of the tank.

Had a series of procedures on my spine over the last 3 months & was unable to care for fish while recuperating. So hired someone who has had aquariums for decades. But when I was finally able to deal w/ tank, saw that my betta's fins appears ragged w/ small holes & light spots!

see attached betta_6/2012 photo & two taken today to compare....hard to get good shots because the betta is dark and the tank has light all around.

I check record of all 7-10 day 30% water changes when parameters tested, & they were always great. No real changes except the 3 times early on w/ issues w/ phosphate (which is high in the tap water here). so the person handling my tank started regularly using purigen filters (added to existing biomax etc) changed about every 30-40 days.

Described betta's fins to my LFS; owner initially suggested that rasboras were nipping at the Betta. I find that implausible because in a year that I've had this community tank on a highly visible counter btwn living room & kitchen, I've never seen the rasboras go after the betta. He chases the rasboras, not other way around. Not constantly, but almost like the betta thinks, "ok, I've been drifting and lurking for a few hours, let's do some impossible but fun exercise chasing those much faster fish for about 30 seconds, then ok, tired of dragging these veils around, lets stop.". But most of the time, it's more like the betta's a shark or whale floating around w/ pilot fish rasboras hanging out around him.

LSF then recommended treating tank with an antibiotic but also said it didn't sound like fin rot because it wasn't just on the edges of the fin but more in the interior.

Can anyone help me out w/ how to treat this ? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Could it be physical damage from ripping them against aquarium ornaments?

0 Not allowed!
    I am wondering if it is a case of fin rot.... I could be wrong, but Betta's are quite prone it it.......
    Allergic to all things furry.

0 Not allowed!
    I re read the post and the fish store says it doesn't sound like fin rot... but I think so.
    Allergic to all things furry.

0 Not allowed!
    My guess is fin rot. Fungus Guard will clear it up. Some Bettas will stress out over everything - new inhabitants, added plants, removal of clear swimming space, etc, which is what typically sets off fin rot. Of course, poor water quality could lead to this, as well.

If the fins have whitish tips and they look ragged and falling apart, it's a sure bet that's what it is. Sometimes, you can find pieces of their fins along the substrate.

More frequent water changes has been said to clear this up, but it's never worked for me. I've cleared up fin rot on my Betta twice, using Fungus Guard.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Since I'm not able to observe the fish closely and in person, from the pictures it is a little unusual, and not the "typical" fin rot that is seen on a Betta tail. However, I wouldn't rule it out. If a stranger has been managing your tanks, and your particular presence hasn't been regularly seen at it, your Betta could very well indeed get stressed. They are smart little beasties, and get pretty attached to their owners. In those cases, its not unusual for a Betta to start self destructive behavior, such as tail biting. It looks like tail biting to me, where the "mouth sized " patches seem to be where he's nipped himself.

Regardless of this, Any tail injury can quickly lead to disaster. I would recommend using Aquarium salt as the first line of defense, but as you have snails this won't be possible as it will harm them. Many medications might pose a threat to the snails, so check medications carefully. If you begin to see "fluff" or any cottony patches, you know you have a fungus infection.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for all the responses. Don't know why I thought I'd initially posted to wrong forum...

No fluffy or cotton-y patches, btw. My betta spends at least half of the day in his cave or more. Whenever I can see him he's swimming around the plants or sometimes briefly chasing the rasboras -- I never seen bite himself. Do bettas who bite themselves do it at night?

Does anyone know why aquarium salt & Fungus Guard would be better than an antibiotic?
    Does anyone know what will happen to my rasboras & plants with those two types of medication?

Based on this forum & what I read on Tetra's website, aquarium salt & Fungus Guard aren't alternatives unless I put the betta or snails in another tank. I've heard that this fin problem might be caused by stress, and my betta does seem to linger hiding at the bottom whenever I do water changes / tank cleaning / new plant installation, so a new tank would probably be counterproductive for him. I guess the assassin & nerite snails will have to move.

Thanks again!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to mention that the wood branch & 3 small stones in tank were all checked to avoid anything that could snag or tear betta fins.