· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Really? A joke? Seemed to be passive aggressive to me. My bad.....

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    Really? A joke? Seemed to be passive aggressive to me. My bad.....
    Looks to me like you both agreed on the issue and gave sound advise... now there is an argument about it... you guys aren't married are you? Anyway, great minds think alike. Take it from someone who has ignored good advice in the past... it can never be repeated enough times. Thanks to both of you for answering my question. I will have many more, so stay friends and hang in there with me.

Oh yeah... The Ammonia is down to just under 0.25, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates are climbing to 10+ without any further water changes. This Saturday I plan to do a weekly PWC of about 40% and clean 1/3 of the gravel while I am at it since all indications are that the cycle is coming to a close. I figure I will clean 1/3 of the gravel each time I do a weekly PWC. Does that sound OK?

0 Not allowed!
    I will clean about 1/3 to 1/2 of my substrate with each weekly water change. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Been doing that for a few years now. Seams to work good for me

You should be fine cleaning 1/3 of the substrate with each weekly water change
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, I am not arguing, I am married, but not to kim92.
    As Cliff said, cleaning 1/3 to 1/2 the substrate will be fine. Since you are cycling with fish and doing more water changes than once a week you probably don't need to clean the gravel each time, at this point every other water change will probably be enough. Also, how often are you feeding the fish? It is often recommended to feed them sparingly while cycling the tank, small amounts every other day will help keep nitrates down.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All was going well and the cycle was almost complete... then some store bought filter media went bad and started to fall apart. I came home to find the cartridge (which must have been bad) was shedding fibers into the tank. What a mess. The filter I use has slots for four cartridges, and I really couldn't tell which one was the culprit since they had all been in about a month. I had to keep the best one and get rid of the rest... there went most of the cycle.

I have learned my lesson and I will be using my own pads and bio-max from this point on, but I have got to get the tank re-cycled. I currently have Ammonia levels of 1.00 ppm and I have been doing daily 50% PWC's and using Prime. I assume there was some good bacteria left in the lone filter media that made it, and on the subtrate and decorations. I guess the Ammonia is winning right now against the bacteria that survived. How long do you think it will take to get back to normal?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am bumping my own post for advise from you guys...

Situation:

When we last heard from me I had almost cycled my tank (fish-in). Then I lost some filter media (bad batch... fell apart) and the cycle went back to almost square one, but with some bb in the portion of the media that was left, decorations, and subtrate. That was almost two weeks ago.

Water:

After the crash, the Ammonia went back to 1.0 with no Nitrites or Nitrates. Over the last 12 or so days, with 50% PWC's the Ammonia has come down to almost nothing, and the Nitrites have spiked and seem to be on their way down (I can never tell the difference between 2.0 and 5.0 on the API chart). I have had low end Nitrates for a while.

Question:

In 14 days I will be out of town for a week and I need to get things moving. I have read dozens of articles / blogs / posts, regarding the proper amount of water to change during a fish-in cycle when using Prime. Some people suggest that as long as Nitrites are above 1.0 a daily 50% change is needed. These people contend that large PWC's do not prolong the cycle. Others say that large PWC's during a cycle retard the process because the Ammonia needed for the bb to prosper is being radically reduced with each large PWC. They suggest minimizing water changes and using a full dose of Prime every 24 hours. A third point of view is that it has been scientifically proven that smaller (20-25%) PWC's during a fish-in cycle are the most beneficial for a quicker cycle. Its enough to drive you to drink!

Anyway, in 14 days if my tank isn't done with the cycle my fish will have to go back to the LFS. Which is the way to proceed?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't take scientific research to figure out that removing ammonia will slow down a cycle. The problem is, the suggestions you posted do not take into account the fishes long term health. It has also been scientifically proven that ammonia above certain levels is harmful to the fishes health. Yes, removing ammonia through water changes will slow the cycle, but that is the way it should be for the health of the fish. When cycling with fish you must keep the ammonia and nitrites around or below .25ppm and the nitrates at a healthy level or you are slowly killing your fish, that means water changes are needed regardless of your desire to get the tank cycled quickly. If it takes 50% daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite at tolerable levels then that is what you need to do, if it takes 75% daily water changes then so be it. You could do smaller ones, you could choose to do none and your tank will cycle faster but your fish will suffer, it's your choice.
    My suggestions are, either take the fish back now and continue with a fishless cycle, which would probably be complete in the 14 days left, or find some more cycled media and put it in your filter.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your answer, but respectfully, the whole point is that for every opinion like yours there is another diametrically opposed opinion stated with an equal level of authority. I can provide you with several blogs and articles that state that doing large PWC's does not affect the cycle at all. I can also provide you with many posts and articles that state that small frequent water changes are actually beneficial and result in a faster cycle. The bottom line is there is no consensus on the topic. Google it and you will see.

While my cycle is moving in the right direction, my race against time is at 14 days right now. The fish are doing great, and I would hate to give them up, but I would rather do that than leave them to chance over a week's time while I am away.

Since your suggestion is that I continue with a fishless cycle... how would that be accomplished if it comes to that? Right now I have a reading of .25 Ammonia (although I am dubious that there is any Ammonia at all since according to the Seachem site, Prime can give false Ammonia readings when using a salicylate test kit like the fresh water API). My Nitrite reading is 2.0 and has been heading down from 5.0 very slowly over the last few days. My Nitrate reading is between 5 and 10 and has been trending up. All things indicate that the cycle is working the way it should. If I run out of time before I have to leave town and return the fish, should I simply put in a piece of shrimp and let things run their course until I return?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So... after what seems for ever, but really was only five weeks, Ammonia is at 0, Nitrites are down to 0.25, and Nitrates are over 20. I think the tank is a couple of days from being cycled. The Black Skirt Tetras are doing great. They never showed the slightest hint of distress. My question is:

Once the tank cycle is complete should I do a large water change right then to lower the Nitrates, or should I wait a week? Keep in mind that during the cycle process I went from daily 50% water changes, to 20% every two days at the end. Also take into account that where I live the tap water contains 1.0 ppm Ammonia from the chloramines added to the water supply. What say you?
    Last edited by Sportsnerd; 07-17-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I would do daily WC's until trites are 0...you are close to being cycled, why back off on the WC's?

Once 'trites are 0, and trates are 20 or below, I would give it a few days and let the PWC's rest...add no more fish...maybe ckeck your parameters 3 days after you have cycled, and if you still stand at 0, 0, and 20 or below, you are good to slowly add fish if you wish, or enjoy what you have, as is.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal