· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i am saying to trust this forum.
    if you want go to another forum.
    they re good ones out there like this one.
    but IMO this one is the best

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK... But I wasn't the one who questioned your statement. Nevertheless, to be honest, it was a bit short-sighted. It is not about the fact that my forum can beat up your forum... it is about getting information to people that need it from persons who have either professional expertise, or a great deal of life experience with the issues at hand. Where the information comes from is really irrelevant as long as the provider has the appropriate credentials.

In this arena, where there is much difference of opinion on how to do things, it is clear that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, something is going right. If you will recall, I had Ammonia at 0.50 ppm on Saturday (17 days after start up with Tetra Safe Start). I had suggestions ranging from let it be, to do daily 50% water changes until the Ammonia drops to 0.25%. After a 40% water change Saturday the Ammonia was still at 0.50 on Sunday, so I did a 10% water change Sunday. Today the Ammonia is back down to 0.25, Nitrites are at 0, and Nitrates are what looks to be right between 5 and 10.

It is clear the tank is fighting to cycle, and while it is not stable yet, the numbers are heading in the right direction. The fish look great and have never shown signs of stress.

So the next question for debate is... do you vacuum the gravel and clean the filter media during the cycle process? It may not surprise you to know that if your research this question there will be advise out there ranging from $#%@ no, to absolutely, and everything in between. What is your opinion?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    My opinion is when you are cycling with fish you should lightly clean the gravel and watch the nitrates. Dirty gravel will help to raise the trates to lethal levels for the fish. Also if the nitrates start to rise you might need to lightly clean the filter media in dechlorinated water or old tank water. This goes against the sticky, but it is still my opinion. When using fish to cycle a tank it is your job to keep it as healthy for them as you can, but still leave enough ammonia in the tank to get it cycled. If you are doing a cycle with ammonia clean nothing.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnerd View Post
    It may not surprise you to know that if your research this question there will be advise out there ranging from $#%@ no, to absolutely, and everything in between.
    That literally made me laugh out loud!

If you are cycling with fish, I say vacuum away. And if you are cycling for so long that the mechanical filter needs clean, then by all means clean it.

If you're doing a fishless cycle, then don't clean anything until the cycle has completed.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Is there an echo in here?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnerd View Post
    What is your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    I was answering a question. What are you trying to do?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Post #24
    My opinion is when you are cycling with fish you should lightly clean the gravel and watch the nitrates.

Also if the nitrates start to rise you might need to lightly clean the filter media in dechlorinated water or old tank water.

If you are doing a cycle with ammonia clean nothing.
    Post #25
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post

If you are cycling with fish, I say vacuum away. And if you are cycling for so long that the mechanical filter needs clean, then by all means clean it.

If you're doing a fishless cycle, then don't clean anything until the cycle has completed.
    Post # 27
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92
    What are you trying to do?
    I am just answering questions and giving opinions.

0 Not allowed!
    Really? Seems as if you're trying to start an argument for no reason. " Is there an echo in here" in no way shape or form answers the OP's question. Did it ever occur to you that I didn't read your response, and that we have the same opinion on what needs to be done?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well, that was a joke, if you have no sense of humor perhaps this should be handled through pm.. there are rules against drama on the forum.