· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Hmmm... I Thought the Tank was Cycled... Then...

0 Not allowed!
    This is a new tank...about one month old. After a number of excellent readings this week with zero Ammonia, zero Nitrites, and Nitrates at 5 ppm, an unexpected set-back occurred. This morning's water test showed good readings of Nitrites at 0 ppm, and Nitrates at 5+ pmm, but revealed Ammonia at 0.50 ppm. I did a 20% water change and dosed with a little Prime to lock up the Ammonia and let the bacteria catch up.

No new fish have been added, so this tells me either I am over feeding the three already in, or that the tank is not yet stable. I can expect more Nitrites I guess.

I did notice that the fish are missing some of the food and it may be adding to the Ammonia build-up as it decays. I will not feed today and I will check the Ammonia again tomorrow. If it is still up I will do another water change but I don't want to do so many changes that it causes the nearly complete cycle to go back to square one.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    If your ammonia was at 0.5ppm I would suggest a 50% water change to get is back to 0.25ppm. A light gravel vac should also help.

Based on your above post, I am assuming you are cycling with fish. What size is your tank, what do you have for fish, and what do you have for filtration ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Add Prime twice a day until the ammonia is at 0ppm again. I would change 50% of the water daily until the ammonia is gone too. You may not see nitrites again. But test for them to make sure. There is obviously bacteria in your tank to take care of the ammonia and nitrite. So there may be enough to not have a nitrite spike again.

Did you cycle with fish?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is a 10g tank. 20g filter. It was started with Tetra Safe Start and three Black Skirt Tetras. Everything has gone very well and the fish have been great. They still are. Ammonia readings were initially 0.25 and gradually decreased over the last three weeks. Two days ago the Ammonia was 0, the Nitrites were 0, and the Nitrates were at 5 ppm. Today the Ammonia came up to 0.5 with all the other readings staying the same.

Once the tank is stable the BST's are going back to the friend who gave them to me and I will be stocking with more appropriate fish for a 10g.

0 Not allowed!
    I would say it's a spike from being unstable. Don't overfeed, and clean your gravel when you do water changes. Those fish can go for weeks without food. Until things settle down you may want to feed them every other day. If you have a friend with a cycled tank, maybe you could get some filter media from them? That would be the best thing right now.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did the 50% change and added Prime at 2 drops per gallon. Is more required under these conditions? I have read that you can do 5x dose in an emergency (which this is not).

I have also read that Prime will render Ammonia and Nitrites safe for 24 hours, and will affect Nitrate water tests, but will give a good reading of the Ammonia level. If that is correct I will test again tomorrow morning and see if another water change is required.

One more thing, can Prime be used to instantaneously render chlorine safe? I have always let it sit with the water I will use to do the PWC while the water comes to room temperature (about 24 hours).

0 Not allowed!
    Prime will render both chlorine and chlorimines (spelling?) safe for your fish and bacteria. Chlorimines are being used more and more throughout Norther America to treat water supplies as it will not gas off like chlorine will. Chlorimines will have the same effect on your set-up as chlorine will.

I would suggest always using Prime to treat any water added to your aquarium
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    SINCE almost all of your bacteria lives which cycles your tank. the other bacteria lives on the gravel. you can do as many water changes as you want and you will NEVER lose your cycles if the ph and tempeture are close.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you clean out your filter? That's where your cycle is at, not in the water.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, I did not clean the filter today. I need all the good bacteria I can get right now. I get that the the Nitrosimonas and Nitrobacter live in the filter, gravel, and decorations, not in the water. I was just worried that a huge water change would bring on too much chlormaines which are sometimes not neutralized by Prime quickly like chlorine is. I live in South Florida where the water is bombarded wit chemicals because it comes from the Biscayne Aquifer drinkable but brownish. Since no one likes brownish water they super-chlorinate the stuff here. I have heard that chloramines attack the bacteria, and since the tank is relatively new the bacteria is not plentiful yet. Usually I let the PWC water sit with Prime for 24 to 48 hours to get it neutralized, and bring it to room temperature. Today I had to scramble a bit since I did not have 5 gallons ready... thus my concern.

In any case, the 50% water change was done and the fish look great. I will test the water tomorrow morning and hopefully this small Ammonia spike will be over. If not, I will do another 50% water change.