· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Fishless Cycle Standstill

0 Not allowed!
    I started a fishless cycle 15 days ago in a 55 gallon tank.

1. De-chlorinated the water
    2. Set up Marineland filter
    3. Set up heater to 30 celsius
    4. Put in two flat narrow air sticks that sit at the bottom.
    5. Let the tank run for 24 hours and waiting for the tank to reach desired temperature.
    6. Raised the ammonia to 4-5ppm

Tomorrow will be day 16 and the ammonia has not dropped a bit since I first raised it. Around day 7 I added Tetra SafeStart. All I have in the tank is the air supply sticks, thermometer, and 2 inches of gravel.

Is this normal for a fishless cycle to take this long to even see a decrease in ammonia? My nitrites have remained at 0, and of course the nitrates as well. The ph has pretty much stayed the same at about 7.2-.7.4.

I have a 20 gallon tank that is in the middle of a cycle with fish that currently has 0ppm ammonia, nitrItes are over 10 on the scale and nitrAtes are around 80. I have not done a water change at all because I have danios in the tank that are showing no signs of sickness or poisoning and I have had no deaths. I'm not sure if I am doing anything wrong here but it has been well over a month since this tank was started.

Main Questions:
    1. Is it normal for the ammonia to have not dropped at all in the 55 gallon?
    2. Would it be beneficial to my 55 gallon(which is my main concern at the moment, not the 20gal) to put one of the two filter bags from the 20 gallon(same size bags and brand) into the 55 gallon tank to speed up the cycle? Or would that not even make a difference since the 20gallon is not completely cycled. Or have I just done something wrong with the both of them?

This is my first post here and first time setting up a tank(s) so if I left out any information or made a stupid mistake along the way here go easy on me please.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by coleman1771; 06-08-2013 at 03:09 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not remove anything from your 20 gallon right now as it is still cycling. If anything, I would do a few water changes on the 20 gallon to get the nitrites down. There are also long-term effects your fish could suffer down the road from that high of nitrite level

Maybe try lowering the ammonia level in the 55 to just below 4ppm. I would not be using any more of the tetra safe start either on a fishless cycle, save that for your 20 gallon tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi coleman, first off please do a 50% water change on that 20 gallon with fish. Nitrites aren't nice to fish in the long run.

Ok so now on to the 55 gallon. I know you said this was your prime concern but I felt for your 20 gallon.
    All right, if you have spare filter media from the 20 gallon (even though it has nitrite readings), dont hesitate to introduce it to your 55 gallon filter system. It will speed it up.
    Question #1, in this time frame, yes. Patience is well worth it. Dont be in a hurry to stock your tank.

Welcome to the AC coleman.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely do a water change on the 20 gallon for the fish. And it's good to know it is normal for it to take this long for ammonia levels to drop, just because I've read reports of people having nitrites by day 8. But like I've heard, everyone has a different experience.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    It's usually a 4 week process coleman. Dont rush it, the results will speak for themselves.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an update:

I did a 50% change in the 20 gallon that put the nitrites and nitrates in a more reasonable range.

The only reason I hadn't done a change any earlier is because since the fish weren't showing signs of distress/poisioning, I figured they were fine. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for the 50 gallon it took just about a 15% change to bring the ammonia down to right at 4ppm.

I knew it was going to just be a time factor, a lengthy one at that. Just thought I had done something wrong because I hadn't seen a drop in ammonia at 15 days.

Thanks again for shedding some knowledge, and for the advice. Getting an input from people with more experience is always helpful.
    Last edited by coleman1771; 06-09-2013 at 04:11 AM.