· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    :D We've all been there. Ask away.

BTW, pretty impressive from your grandad, not too many people back then got neons to spawn.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have ordered a hardness test kit. I'll try to remember to bring my pool test kit out to the other house to test the pH. No sense in doing a lot of planning based on what I *think* my water will be like.

I am really intrigued by cichlids, but the aggression makes me a bit wary. In some ways I think it would be great to have a few larger fish so I could get to know each one, but at the same time, if it was a school of smaller fish, when one died it might not be as personal.

I'm really glad that I CAN'T buy anything now as it is forcing me to take the time to research everything.
    Allison

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I learned the hard way, until I finally figured out that patience prevails :(. Many people here, myself included, are happy to have you here and will always offer helpful knowledge to the best of their ability.
    If you are doing a bones up reno, why not build an area into your home with some plumbing near your aquariums with a sink and such? I sure wish I had an area next to my tank for my watering needs. It is great that you have time to plan, it will be most beneficial in the long run. I look forward to seeing your plans.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Or even an RO unit and holding tank.

Allison, look into shell dwelling cichlids. Lots of personalities and they live in colonies. There's some rock breeding species that could be mixed.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I learned the hard way, until I finally figured out that patience prevails :(. Many people here, myself included, are happy to have you here and will always offer helpful knowledge to the best of their ability.
    If you are doing a bones up reno, why not build an area into your home with some plumbing near your aquariums with a sink and such? I sure wish I had an area next to my tank for my watering needs. It is great that you have time to plan, it will be most beneficial in the long run. I look forward to seeing your plans.
    Thanks longshot. The house is actually an original mobile home that has two slab additions attached. Thankfully, only the original section of house has required much repair. The slab section is much newer and isn't requiring much - we ripped out the carpet, patched all the holes from the tack strips, repainted, and thought we were down to just new flooring until we investigated a previous leak in the ceiling (that we had already fixed on the roof) and then discovered termites. *Yikes* And that led to literally HUNDREDS of 1/2 holes drilled into the walls to inject the toxic stuff. One of my forearms is now larger than the other one because of the new muscle I have built patching all those stupid holes! The location I want to put the tank will be in my bedroom (my husband and I keep separate bedrooms due to our work hours) and it is not that far from the bathroom and from the front door if I want to drain my water outside. If we add a smaller tank in the mobile home part, I've got a few locations picked out and they are both pretty convenient to the kitchen sink. But, yes, if we had the money, time, and floor plan options, it would certainly be nice to have extra things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Or even an RO unit and holding tank.

Allison, look into shell dwelling cichlids. Lots of personalities and they live in colonies. There's some rock breeding species that could be mixed.
    Thanks. I'm excited to get in the test kit to find out just how hard the water actually is. Aside from being hard, I do know that the water is "good". When relatives visit, they bring gallon jugs to take water back home with them. I can't stand the taste of municipal water compared to our well water. I'll look up those fish. I have requested a few fish catalogs by mail - I thought it might serve as a bit of a picture and price reference!
    Allison

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, pH may not be as high as I thought it was. Straight out of the tap was reading 7.1 - 7.2. I filled up a container and will repeat the rest tomorrow after it has sat overnight to see if there is any difference.
    Allison

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome! I just got back into the hobby about a year and a half ago and I have a 29gal. LOVE IT. However, already gearing up to put a 55 in the living room as no one but myself and fiance get to appreciate the 29. AND thinking of going saltwater in the 55
    Hope you enjoy it here!
    29 gal community
    sunset and golden sailfin mollies (14-15 fry born 6/12/13)
    marbled and black angels
    albino corys
    neon tetras
    yoyo loach
    clown pleco

5 furbabies: miniature dachshund, golden retriever, mutt, and 2 cats :)

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I'd love to go salt water. Just don't think I could afford it.
    Allison

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aa62579 View Post
    Well, pH may not be as high as I thought it was. Straight out of the tap was reading 7.1 - 7.2. I filled up a container and will repeat the rest tomorrow after it has sat overnight to see if there is any difference.

OK but much more interesting, how hard is it?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    OK but much more interesting, how hard is it?
    Still waiting on that test kit to come in. I had a pH kit with all my pool testing supplies.
    Allison