· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We are doing the reno ourselves, so I have lots of time. A lot of the house is down to studs and rafters! Only getting to work on it on the weekends really stretches things out. In fact, I should be out there right now, but I am procrastinating!
    Allison

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just found out something very cool. I told my father about my plans and found out that a long time ago my grandfather (deceased) was well known in his area as a tropical fish breeder. He specialized in tetras and sold to the fish stores in the Abilene area. Maybe that is a good sign.
    Allison

0 Not allowed!
    Breeding tetras at home can be a bit of a challenge. Interesting.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't have any interest in breeding them. I guess maybe that speaks to his skill level? Sure wish I would have known this while he was alive. I never ever saw a photo of a fish tank at their house...
    Allison

0 Not allowed!
    It's neat sometimes what we find out about deceased family members - it's nice to know that enjoying fish runs in the family - it's in your blood LOL.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum,

I have the hard Texas water as well. I used to battle it, now I keep things that don't mind the hard water. Though I have been debating a discus setup.

My brother kept a 29 gallon in a mobile home without any trouble. Though I've found if you get a 29 you'll want a 55 later, get a 55 you'll want a 75...

0 Not allowed!
    With hard water you can either select fish to match or get a reverse osmosis system and make soft water. The first is easier and cheaper than the second option

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Certainly. I plan on testing the water soon to get an idea of exactly where it stands.

I found out my grandfather bred the neon tetras. He did that got a few years but got out of when the water out there got too hard to contend with. My dad thought he had four tanks.
    Allison

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been reading more and it really strikes me as funny as to how much some of this parallels my pool forum. We always stressed not to necessarily trust the pool store as they were often just in it to make money and your average employee rarely had the training to do anything but respond how the computer says to. Test results - we needed actual numbers, and not from test strips. Saying something was fine meant nothing. Also, research was important. Do it first and you'll save yourself time and money. Added complication of fish deaths here, but research really seems key to avoiding problems from the get go. And patience. Sometimes you have to stick with something and be diligent about doing it or it won't work as intended. People then blame the process when it was their fault it didn't work as they thought it would. Cycling, quarantine, waiting to introduce fish a few at a time or by species - those all require patience and something I know not everyone does, and of course they pay the price with sick or injured fish or nasty tank conditions.
    Allison

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And abbreviations! Really allows me to identify with those that were new to the pool forums who had trouble understanding what we were saying or asking. I always kept a link to the abbreviations page in my Sig just for it. But now I am the one that needs to look things up. :humbling:
    Allison