· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default If you could do it again, what size would your first tank be?

0 Not allowed!
    I come from an RV background where the saying is to buy your second RV first, but also to be realistic about what you can handle. Basically they are saying not to buy small planning on upgrading later (since you will normally only lose money in the trade) but also that you have to be realistic about what you can afford, what your vehicle can tow, and how complicated the setup is, etc.

I'm considering getting a tank when we move. I've been lurking around here and other forums and know that I'd only want a 10g as a QT - for the main tank, 20g or more is preferred. I think I have pretty much determined the range I want to look at is 29g - 55g. No pet stores here and very little activity on CL or other FB classified ads, but if the right product came along, it might be worth that 2 hour drive.

As I have several months to obtain equipment, I thought it might be interesting to ask all of you, if you had it to do over again, what size tank would you choose as your first one? Remember, this is not what tank would you get now if you could. This is for the beginner, so I am thinking ease of maintenance yet having some room to grow, while keeping the costs down in case it doesn't work out would be factors.

So, what would your magic number be?

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on what you'd want to keep. For what I'd like to do your 40gallon long is tempting. I like relatively long tanks and don't need excessive heights.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd make it a 125-150 if I was to do this all over again.

0 Not allowed!
    I can tell you right now.. one thing I wished for was an 18" Wide tank, I have a 55g tank, and the 12" width (front to back) sucks when it comes to arranging the driftwood / rocks

I would say I'd go with a 75g and be happy. Or, a smaller version would be like a 40g breeder tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the comment about the width. I had not even really thought about that, but that should certainly be a consideration.

0 Not allowed!
    its a major PITA and I wish I could swap it out... I have been tempted many times to do so... but my better half would kill me... so it stays as it

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Several friends growing up had 55 gallons. Thought back then that was the biggest tank you could purchase, though I really never looked. I think a 55 should have been my first choice. My first tank purchase my wife was with me, and she would only allow for a 10 gallon (money - scrooge).

I think now I should have waited to purchase and not bring the wife along, instead surprise her with a large - expensive - 55.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Just set-up my first tank in Dec 2012 - a 75 gal FW community tank, which I LOVE! I never had an aquarium before. Everything I read advised getting no smaller than a 50 gal for a first tank. So I decided I would get a 55 gal, but when I was at the LFS, they had a 55 gal and 75 gal back-to-back. When I saw the difference in width between the two (12 in vs 18 in) I decided the 75 gal was for me. You can do so much more with the 75 and the requirements for filtration and heating aren't that different. I would get the 75 gal all over again as a first tank - not too big, but big enough to really have stocking and aquascaping options galore.

In fact, my next tanks will be either two 20 longs or two 30 gal - one will be a species tank for bristlenose plecos and the other an amano shrimp/peppered cory/mystery snail tank. Because I went with the 75 gal first, I am now going smaller, instead of bigger, focusing on specific fish and invertebrates that I can enjoy in their own individual tanks.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Lady Hobbs, 125 or bigger

I've up-graded far to many times wasting a lot of cash
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'd start with a 130 like I have now, but a brand new one. This used one is scratched up.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.