· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper View Post
    I'm planning on getting a few swordplants... They're serious nutrient suckers, right?
    That's common name for Echinodorus, right? Yes, those shovel it in! Bring it on with extra iron is their attitude

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure they're Echinodorus... I was considering maybe getting some kind of potting mix and putting it in small pots, then burying those and adding swordplants.
    Has anyone done something like this, and if so, what kind of dirt did you use?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but YIKES, 2 months?!?!!!

I'm betting on a tank crash, like Lady Hobbs suggested. If it was the soil I imagine it would have happened a lot sooner than 6 months. That means that since you've added the soil you'd only done 3 water changes?? And what % were they??

I change 50% a week on my planted community tank. I could probably get away with smaller water changes but I like the peace of mind, if I get busy and end up missing a WC I don't feel as guilty because I changed more than necessary last time.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper View Post
    I'm planning on getting a few swordplants... They're serious nutrient suckers, right?
    They definately require root pellets. They need the iron. If you plan to keep living things in that tank, then get on a schedule of weekly maintenance. 50% a week is what most here do.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-11-2013 at 03:52 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to post a couple of things in here since I have kept dirt tanks in the past.

First, capping dirt with a tight packing sand is a very bad idea. The dirt has to "breath" and if you put sand on top, you will end up with the formation of pockets of gas in the substrate (exactly what happened to the OP)

Second, the gas that is formed, as in this case, is not methane, but hydrogen sulfide. When the hydrogen sulfide erupts through the sand layer into the tank, it can kill any fish that it happens to come in contact with.

So, how do I know? I made this same mistake with one of my first dirt planted tanks. I capped it with play sand and watched as the hydrogen sulfide pockets formed and then erupted. It actually does take a little while to start happening. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the cories for uncapping the dirt in the tank, it is more likely it was pockets of H2SO4 erupting.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb View Post
    Just wanted to post a couple of things in here since I have kept dirt tanks in the past.

First, capping dirt with a tight packing sand is a very bad idea. The dirt has to "breath" and if you put sand on top, you will end up with the formation of pockets of gas in the substrate (exactly what happened to the OP)

Second, the gas that is formed, as in this case, is not methane, but hydrogen sulfide. When the hydrogen sulfide erupts through the sand layer into the tank, it can kill any fish that it happens to come in contact with.

So, how do I know? I made this same mistake with one of my first dirt planted tanks. I capped it with play sand and watched as the hydrogen sulfide pockets formed and then erupted. It actually does take a little while to start happening. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the cories for uncapping the dirt in the tank, it is more likely it was pockets of H2SO4 erupting.

I'm sure the cories digging didn't help... kinda like digging with a shovel over a volcano. I want to start a dirted tank soon... so its good to see the good and the bad that can happen, sorry to the OP but we all learn from stuff like this.

If the OP hadn't already gone with black sand I would have recommended something else. Since I got black sand I don't like how dirty it always looks, very tough to keep clean

0 Not allowed!
    If the OP hadn't already gone with black sand I would have recommended something else. Since I got black sand I don't like how dirty it always looks, very tough to keep clean
    Can't be any worse than white sand.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, we should have a poll somewhere about who prefers which sand and why. Now I'm curious about which sand to use on my next big tank. ;P I was going to go with black.... and now thinking pool filter sand. ;/
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.