· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default @%&# dirt! (Tank is now a cesspool)

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had a 65 gallon tank up since January, compost substrate, no problems. Earlier today, I spotted a dead pencilfish. Then another. Then two dead pygmy cories. Enter 'RED ALERT' mode. After two hours of stuff, I've managed to get all the fish, most of the dirt, all the scaping, and 63 gallons of water out. There's a ghost shrimp or two swimming around in the two inches of filthy water that's left, and I can't get them out until it settles a bit. Well, my schools took considerable hits. I formerly had 8 Beckford's pencils, one dwarf pencil, and approximately ten mixed dwarf and pygmy cories. Now I have three Beckford's pencils and one dwarf cory. Dangit.
    I'm gonna post some pics later, but I think I'm gonna throw something out the window if I go and look at that tank right now. I am not happy.
    Warning to people with planted tanks: Don't use compost in them if it's from a garden supply store, or it'll have manure. Manure makes methane, methane kills your fish and turns your fish tank into a septic tank. Also, it makes your hands smell like the backside of a cow.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    That's why Organic potting soil is what you are supposed to use.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    That's why Organic potting soil is what you are supposed to use.
    Yup. Most potting soil is fine. Organic or not.
    Why did you think compost was a good idea?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used organic potting soil, but it turned out to be mostly compost. Hence the cesspool.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How recently did you add this organic potting soil to your tank? What is the name of this organic potting soil you used? If you still have the bag could you give us content information with the amount/percent of each, should be able to find this info on the backside of bag. I'm sorry to hear you lost so much, that would make me mad too.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The soil has been in there since January second. I don't have the bag, sorry... I didn't think I was gonna need it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How often did you test your water and complete water changes? I would think you should have seen something wrong a while ago with the dirt being there since January.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been changing the water every two months, as the stock load was very light: the pygmy/dwarf cories, the pencils, three bettas, five assorted 1" cories, an african dart frog, three gobies (one 1 1/4", one 2", one 3"), one gold gourami, and at least three ghost shrimp, possibly a few more than that. I know it sounds like a lot of fish, and it is in numbers, but all of them except the gourami and larger goby were very small. Eight of the ten mini cories were under half an inch, and the two big ones were barely 3/4". There were a decent number of plants in there, and the parameters were always decent; Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0-0.2, Nitrates varying depending on how recently the water was changed but never high. I think what happened was the methane had been building up, and some unlucky cory hit a big pocket and set the whole thing off. There were sure a lot of incredibly smelly bubbles when I was getting the dirt out.

0 Not allowed!
    In a cycled tank, Nitrites should never be anything higher than 0. If you had anything higher than 0, it should have been a warning that a water change needed to be done. Even with a low bioload, a small water change of about 30% should be done at least every 1-2 weeks. Every 2 months is really pushing it.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know about the nitrites, and I did a water change when I saw them above 0. I'll definitely change the water more often when I get the darn thing back up.
    I'm going to use black sand, but I want some leaves or something on top to make it look more natural. Are there any kinds of leaves that won't release tannins? I don't mind tannins, but the driftwood I have in there already leaches a lot of tannins. Makes the water look kinda like pee.