· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Have I arrived? Have I made it?

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe this should go in the announcments section?

Between my two tanks, my 55 gallon and my 20 Long, I have not experienced any disease or fish death since Christmas.

My stocking is most likely frowned upon and unconventional, but all species in my tanks have been growing and living peacefully and thriving and increasing my life's enjoyment for 6 months straight with no drama. I have steadily kept up with routine 50% water changes every two weeks, and I have gotten very lax on testing water perameters because they are always the same.

Good? Bad? Have I made it as a fish keeper now? I dont know, but I feel proud.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I frown on your stocking decision. Some of those species are known not to live well together. Some of your species should have more of them in your 55. Basing this off your profile so if it's not up-to-date you should think about updating it.

I would think we all get a little relaxed when it comes to testing our water, heck some here have mentioned only testing a few times a year for an established tank. If you change things up though, e.g. add more fish or some die (hopefully just natural causes), complete tests to ensure all is still good.

You're a fish keeper the moment you got your first fish. Whatever you're doing to keep them alive and happy, keep doing it.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Your stocking is unconventional, but I've seen people do worse. Sometimes these things work, often they don't. 6 months may be a little early to be sure, since most of your fish probably aren't matured/adults yet. They may get more territorial and wreak havoc on your tank. You never know - they're animals.

Congrats on no disease/death since Christmas, though. That's a feat. =]

Agreed on the testing params. Unless there's something off in your tank, like a random fish death, and your params are typically the same every time you check (and you already understand your tap water's chemistry) you shouldn't have to check your tank params all the time. I'm in the same boat as a lot on here, in that I rarely ever check my params anymore, unless I'm investigating why something is happening - like fish deaths/algae growth/etc.

Hope your fish continue to do well with each other. One thing's for sure - you probably have a pretty active and fun tank to watch. I'd keep an eye on the shark and barbs, though, once they get older.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Fish can live a surprising long time if kept in proper conditions. I now have black skirt tetra's that are 9 years old! I have a couple otto's that are 5 years old. But yes, your fish are happy and you have become a good fish keeper.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You've come a long way kid, I remember when you used to post all the time about how certain fish didn't make it or a new disease had hit your tank. Sometimes you have to learn through trial and error. Good job.

Kevin gives good advice on your shark though, the older they get the meaner they get.
    Last edited by steeler58; 06-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my latest stocking, I will review my profile and update if needed:

55 GAL:
    10 Neon Tetras
    10 Black Neon Tetras
    8 Lamp Eye Tetras
    8 Glo Light Tetras
    3 Cherry Barbs (I know school is too small, but strange circumstances for aquiring fish)
    2 Rummy Nose Tetras (I know school is too small, but strange circumstances for aquiring fish)
    5 Gold Pristella Tetras (I know school is too small, but strange circumstances for aquiring fish)
    1 Leopard Cory
    1 Sterbai Cory
    2 Peppered Cory
    2 Clown Pleco
    1 Farlowella/Stick Catfish
    1 Rainbow Shark
    1 Chinses Algae Eater
    4 Nerite Snails
    4 Amano Shrimp
    4 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Flower Shrimp/Bamboo Shrimp

** The smalls schools of Barbs and tetras were rescues from other tanks and they have just existed in mine and seem to do OK, though it is not ideal**

20 Long
    10 Tiger Barbs
    1 Rainbow Shark
    2 Peppered Cory
    1 Nerite Snail
    1 Betta

Betta also accidental mismatch, it got beat up for a week then grew his fins back and they have peace now for several months.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, your tiger barbs were already moved. Good on you. =]

New prob - the CAE. lol I know, I know... things are going well. They get more aggressive as they mature, though. So you have two fish to watch in your 55. The Rainbow Shark and the Chinese Algae Eater. The CAE might try to suck the slime coat off your bigger fish, like the Plecos and will probably fight amongst the other bottom dwellers.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I started off with one clown pleco who was painfully shy. But he has shown a different side twice now and its interesting how aggressive he can be. He has his favorite spot in the tank, if the other pleco or farlowella try to encroach, he move like lightning and makes sure they know its his space.

Then during feeding time, there are some passive aggressive nudging that takes place over the algae wafer, but all 3 are guilty of that.

Yeah I have eyes on the CAE. There is a great independent fish store by my work who welcomes my over grown fish. I have taken him two CAEs that were over 4" and one fully grown opaline gourami. He gave me some discounts and said they sold in two days. I enjoy the time they have in my tank and I am happy to rotate them out when things get crazy. But for $1 per fish at Pet smart, and I get 4-6 months out of a CAE and the pet shop sells them for $5. Its a good system.

0 Not allowed!
    You're like a fish foster home. ;P That's a nice setup. Does the shop pay you for your fish?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on clearing the hump between "one who keeps fish" and a "fish keeper". In my eyes, their is a difference. We were all rootin fer ya, kid. Here's to you! And I kinda like your stocking, it's the noob in me To many more years of happy fish!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here