· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ich coming back? How long to treat after last spot???

0 Not allowed!
    I have been using Jungle Labs All in One Treatment for ich. I guess the treatment is about a week. I saw the last spot on Tuesday and then just did my 25% water change and put my carbon back in but now I just noticed this afternoon a couple more spots on my head and tail light tetras. They had it the worst. I had thought it was gone. Maybe I didn't treat long enough after the last spot?

I followed directions on box but remember reading somewhere that you should treat for a week? or a few days AFTER last spot?

I have started the med again.

Allergic to all things furry.

0 Not allowed!
    The parasite can lay dormant for 3, 4 weeks so out with the carbon and start again.

Since ick is quite often stress related I would advice you to take a critical look at your tank and see if you can find the root cause.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be afraid to use meds for another extended period. I have had very good luck treating ich with heat only - and it's never come back. Up your tank temp over 2 days to 86F. leave it there until you see the last spot. then LEAVE the temp at 86 for another 7 - 10 days, doing a couple PW/C during that period. Then slowly lower the temp back to normal
    During the heat period, lower the water level a little and put in a bubbler to help with oxygenation.
    Oh - and do a large water change to get rid of the meds before you start the heat treatment.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I am sure it is not stress related as I just have a school of the red eye tetras and few very nice and gentle platys. They all get along just fine. No nipping whatsoever. Everyone is happy.

Fishmommie, I have read that heat alone doesn't work at killing all the ich. However, since it HAS worked for you I am tempted..... I am not sure. When I turned up the heat before (when this all started and I was trying to go the natural route) the fish seemed stressed and pooped ALOT. BIG long poops coming out the butt. What is that?

But just having said that the ich return is not stress related, I can say that the heat seemed to stress them, so I very gradually turned it down again to 79 F.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppymummy View Post
    Thanks. I am sure it is not stress related as I just have a school of the red eye tetras and few very nice and gentle platys. They all get along just fine. No nipping whatsoever. Everyone is happy.
    Fishmommie, I have read that heat alone doesn't work at killing all the ich. However, since it HAS worked for you I am tempted..... I am not sure. When I turned up the heat before (when this all started and I was trying to go the natural route) the fish seemed stressed and pooped ALOT. BIG long poops coming out the butt. What is that?F.
    I seem to recall (if this is the same tank you have been treating for a while) that you've tried a number of treatments but have never fully killed the ich parasites. My guess is you didn't stay with the heat treatment long enough. I will agree, though, after looking up the profile for your fish, that heat of 86F would stress both fish as it's well outside their ideal range.

Perhaps you should go with TD's rec and treat again with the same med you're using rather than change it yet one more time rather than risk the heat and see if a repeat of the same med won't work for you.

This is a stubborn one, that's for sure. The problem here may be that the ich has been in the tank for so long it's become resistant to any of the treatments you've used.:o(
    Good luck - and it might be worth checking out the fish disease section and reading about ich to get a better understanding of how the infestation works and why longer treatment is often necessary.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I will continue on with the same med longer. it seemed to be doing a wonderful job, but the treatment was only 5 days... I guess not long enough.

Crossing my 'fins'.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I will continue on with the same med longer. it seemed to be doing a wonderful job, but the treatment was only 5 days... I guess not long enough.

Crossing my 'fins'.
    If all of the spots are gone at the end of this next 5 day treatment and the fish seem fine, I might be tempted to extend the treatment another 5 days (unless the directions specifically say not to) to make sure all the eggs that have dropped are dead. Just do a large water change in between each treatment and vac your gravel really, really good to pick up as many eggs as possible. In fact, I'd do a W/C now and vac before you start the second round of treatment.
    Hope it works this time.

0 Not allowed!
    I just did a large water change and super good vacuum today before restarting the med. I honestly don't see how the little boogers have stuck on. Thanks, I will plug on......

0 Not allowed!
    I never said the return of ich was stress related, the thing showing up in the first place was probably stress related. If you are sure it isn't then good.

Fishmommie, I have read that heat alone doesn't work at killing all the ich. However, since it HAS worked for you I am tempted..... I am not sure. When I turned up the heat before (when this all started and I was trying to go the natural route) the fish seemed stressed and pooped ALOT. BIG long poops coming out the butt. What is that?

The temperature that cooks ich ivery quickly s actually higher still, 88f. 86 would take a few days PRoblem is, that's also extremely close to the temperature that kills fish and it will already kill some species.

When you turn up the heat the fish' metabolism goes into overdrive and so they poop a lot.

Turning up the temperature somewhat and doing a longer course of a good ich cure is usually the best solution in my opinion but my last personal experience with the parasite is ages ago.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 06-07-2013 at 06:10 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I'd be afraid to use meds for another extended period. I have had very good luck treating ich with heat only - and it's never come back. Up your tank temp over 2 days to 86F. leave it there until you see the last spot. then LEAVE the temp at 86 for another 7 - 10 days, doing a couple PW/C during that period. Then slowly lower the temp back to normal
    During the heat period, lower the water level a little and put in a bubbler to help with oxygenation.
    Oh - and do a large water change to get rid of the meds before you start the heat treatment.

Good luck!
    That's all I ever do - 2 weeks at 88 degrees. Never fails. I don't do water changes during the treatment though - haven't found it to negatively impact the treatments effectiveness. Nor do I ever add aeration. 2 weeks at at least 86....that's all there is to it.

guppymummy - poops coming out the butt is normal....if they were coming out anywhere else I would be concerned.

I have administered the heat treatment to 50 different species (quarantine protocol), and never once have I lost a single fish. Even "cold" water fish have received the treatment. You are not in jeopardy of killing your fish doing a heat treatment. 86 or 88, it still takes 5 days or so for the fish to be spot free.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10