· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much!! It really is a nice substrate. I've used it for years now. I think there's also a bit of natural river pebbles in there also, as I picked some up from a creek I went to a couple years ago.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    Thank you so much!! It really is a nice substrate. I've used it for years now. I think there's also a bit of natural river pebbles in there also, as I picked some up from a creek I went to a couple years ago.
    You're quite welcome!...I want something like that for my 40 gallon breeder that is in the planning stages, it looks so much like a natural river or creek bed...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I always thought the Dwarf pencilfish was the most attractive of that family, until they discovered the Ruby red and purple. Still a favorite though.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    @Slaphppy7 I'm sure if you went into a WalMart nearby you, you'd be able to find some. That is if they have a fish aisle in the pets section. All the WalMart's sell it near me and its really cheap. A lot of people prefer to buy their stuff online or from fancy LFS's but imo WalMart and a few other cheaper stores can sell some really nice stuff. I actually got all my 10 gallons from WalMart!

@steeler1 The really are!! The Ruby Reds and Purples are gorgeous but the males get too aggressive for my tastes. The Dwarfs are perfect for this tank. They're small, peaceful, they love to explore the entire tank, and they interact with each other on levels I haven't seen in other schooling fish. Like they almost seem to have "friends" amongst the groups. I have a pair that always sleeps together behind the filters at night, even though all the others sleep amongst the Val. They're gorgeous fish and after a bit of research I've discovered my group of Dwarf Pencils originate from Suriname or Guyana.

The estimated arrival for my Tiger Val is today so hopefully its correct and they arrive!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well the mail just arrived for today and the Tiger Val did NOT arrive. Hopefully it arrives soon. However, I did received my 200 Catappa leaves!! All of them are gorgeous, amazing quality, and I even got a free seed! I've still yet to decide if I want to attempt to grow the seed or if I want to put it in my tank and use it the same as the leaves. Anyways here are the leaves. I sure got a lot!!

WP_000843.jpg

Standard TV remote for scale.
    WP_000845.jpg

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

So my last bit of Tiger Val and my Crypt lingua arrived today!! Unfortunately I had someone coming over about an hour after I got it in the mail so I had to rush and plant everything.

Upon planting I came across some issues.

I ordered 15 stumps of Tiger Val.....I received 25 :I Not only did I get a lot more than I thought I also didn't have anywhere to put it. I planted more in the back center of the tank, where there already was some, but I couldn't plant much as my substrate is gravel and it gets displaced too easily by my fingers and the chopsticks I was using to plant. Everytime I'd put a new one in another would be displaced and float back up. It was a nightmare.

The next problem was I was planning on planting a lot of the Val in the back left corner of the tank. The issue is my HOB filters are there. They were supposed to be switched out with my eheim filter. However, a few days ago my eheim stopped working well and it turns out the problem cannot be fixed. That the filter is simply so old its dying out. The filter is one of the original, first models made by eheim. An eheim 2013 canister. The canister I have was given to me, used, by someone about 7 years ago. Before that, the guy I got it from, had bought it used in 1988. This filter could be anywhere from 25 - 35 years old. Its so old that there's not even information online about it, I emailed eheim themselves and they couldn't help me!!

Due to the HOB's being in the way I just went ahead and planted anyways. However it looked awful with Val being pushed around the sides of the HOBs so I decided to pull it, put it in a small cup, with gravel as the substrate, and put it in my 20 gallon. I also decided to upgrade my 20 gallons lights from 15 watt to 30 watt. So hopefully the Val will be able to survive in there until I remove the HOBs.

The last issue is that 1 of the 3 Crypt lingua I ordered had rotted horribly. The other two were just about dead. I planted them anyways as they seem salvageable but I'm not sure. Hopefully things grow in nicely. I'm still debating whether or not to add more Water Sprite back in. I'm not sure yet. Whenever I decide to get off my butt and do it, I had a very long day, I am going to be putting a dark blue background on the tank. I'd prefer black but for now dark blue will suffice.

The tank is a bit cloudy now and the fish are really stressed after all the planting and all so I won't take pictures now. I'll take some in the morning when I'm feeling better. Thank you guys so much for reading and sorry about the long drawn out post!!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

Well as I stated before my female apisto, who seemed to be FULL of eggs, has laid some again!! This time its in the cave on the right side. She's showing great brood colors and is guarding the eggs well from the male. I got amazing pictures which also allowed me to count her clutch. She has exactly 30 eggs! All look healthy and hopefully this time I get some fry :D

WP_000920.jpg

WP_000923.jpg

WP_000929.jpg

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    eggs-cellent! She sure is a pretty girl.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice. I hope you have good luck with them once they hatch.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    She sure is :D Thank you guys so much for commenting.

She has a little tear in her tail fin, my guess is most likely she had a little fight with the male. I'd remove him but I don't have anywhere really to put him plus he seems to be fine in the tank. He usually stays on the left side and is leaving her alone.

If I do get fry I'm still debating if I'm going to try and let the female raise them for awhile or if I'm going to take them from her immediately after they're free swimming. I don't have algae or anything growing in the tank for them to graze on so my best bet would probably be to put them in a fry box and feed them Hikari first bites and other fry foods. Fingers crossed for fry!!

EDIT: After further inspection of my male his pectoral fin and tail fin are both a little torn up so it certainly looks like the female is defending her eggs. Both fish aren't seriously injured. And only have slight tearing of fins. So I'm not too concerned. Especially because both are still very active and showing fantastic color.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 07-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.