· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much you guys :D
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

1 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:
    Hey guys!! Long time no update!! Sorry about that. School started back up for me on the 9th and I've been so beyond busy. Any time I have to relax I spend online or in front of my tanks. A lot has changed in the tank and a lot is going to change.

To start things off I removed the larger crypt that was next to the clay pot on the front right of the tank. It wasn't fairing really well and was getting shadowed by the larger crypt that was in back of it.

I also decided to remove the Catappa leaves in the tank as my water is INCREDIBLY soft to begin with, I tested the tap yesterday and my water has readings of 3 dkH and 4 dgH. That's already beyond soft.I liked the leaves and was hoping they'd brown my water but they really didn't. I had 4 in the tank and the lowered my pH to around 6.8 and made the water as soft as you can get. The fish seemed to do okay in it for awhile but honestly seem to thrive better in my water when its unchanged. My water is unusually soft however it naturally has a pH of 7.6.

I came to the decision to remove the leaves mainly because the Val in the tank was suffering due to how soft the water was, and also because the leaves didn't turn my water a nice tea-brown but to an ugly yellow tinge that, under my lighting, looked like a bad photograph.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks the Aquaclear will be done cycling and I'll be able to switch out the ugly tetra HOBs. Its taking longer than usual as I don't have a heater that has a control switch. I just have one of those 5 gallon heaters with a set temperature that it heats the tank to. The tank is at about 79 degrees. I did however order a new heater online, hopefully it arrives this week and I'll be able to raise the temperature and finish the cycling.

And finally, here are the photos!!

An FTS of the tank, notice that I removed a large portion of gravel from the right side. Before it had about 3 inches of gravel. I removed about an inch and removed that crypt. It looks much better but the tank is so much more open now. I'd like to get some dwarf crypt species to fill in the front left and right sides.
    WP_001363.jpg

The right side, my male apisto is visible here.
    WP_001364.jpg

The left side.
    WP_001365.jpg

Excuse the lack of fish photos and fish present in these photos. The tank is much more open now, not permanently, and the fish are more skittish. If I sit in front of the tank and don't move they'll all come out and explore but if I try to take photos or move around near the tank they all swim and hide in the plants. I only occasionally see the otos out and about the tank. I have diatom issues, I usually keep the front and sides of the tank clean but I never touch the back. Because of that the otos are constantly behind the filters and on the back wall gorging themselves. All 4 are healthy and happy. 2 of them are about 1 1/2' one of them is 2" and I have another, one of the newer ones, that is huge 2 1/2". I always read that Otocinclus vittatus rarely grew more than an 1 1/2" yet I have one that's almost double that size.

Anyways that's it for this update. Hopefully I can get the new filter cycled and added to the tank and some more plants to fill it in more. Thanks for reading!!
    Last edited by Gesp56; 09-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

Hey guys, long time no see! I just wanted to stop in for a quick update. The tank is still doing well. The crypts have grown in nicely, the one on the right is enormous but still not a bush how I'd like. The one on the left isn't as large but is much more bushy and is putting out new leaves weekly. I still haven't put the Aquaclear 30 on the tank. I was cycling it on a 2.5 gallon and the cycle failed due to me forgetting to prime when I topped off the tank. Due to that, I cleaned the filter and moved it onto my 20 gallon. I added a bit of media from one of my filters and its been running on the 20 gallon for about a week or two. I lost one of Pencilfish, in the 10 gallon, a week ago due to constipation. I was able to treat it and it seemed healthy but then a growth formed on its side which quickly killed it. Other than that the fish have gotten used to the tank being so open and come out more often. The apistos constantly are swimming around the tank and through the leaves. The Otos were all out and about today, which is rare, instead of hiding behind the filters. Everything is running smoothly and growing nicely. I haven't really made any upgrades or additions to the tank due to money constrictions but if I manage to get a job at the hotel across the street from me then I'll be able to change some things around.

Anyway, that's all for now. Tomorrow I'll upload some pictures of the tank and the fish.

Thanks for reading!!

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to photos. :) Looks lovely and clean in those last shots. I do quite like those pencilfish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

Just a short update. So last sunday I noticed that my female apisto had once again laid a clutch of eggs. This time she chose a smaller clay pot cave that was hidden by a crypt. Yesterday those eggs hatched and I now have a small group of wigglers!! The babies are doing very well and look extremely healthy. The mother has been caring for the correctly and occasionally it looks as if she'll take one or two into her mouth and then spit them back out after a little while. Does anyone know what this action is? Is she just moving them or cleaning them or something? Her colors are still a bright vibrant yellow. The pencilfish leave her alone and haven't gone after the fry yet. The male apisto is more timid lately and spends most of his time hiding under the catappa leaves. Everyone is doing nicely. I changed the scape quite a bit and y the end of this month I'll be replacing my two Tetra Whisper HOBs with an Aquaclear 30. Hopefully the babies survive :D Does anyone know if I should feed the babies? I have catappa leaves that have been in there for a month of so and should be growing micro-organisms such as infusoria by now. Hopefully all goes well, I've hoped for babies for a long time. O

OHH and also my largest Oto seems to be pregnant. She's absolutely swollen with bright yellow eggs. Does anyone know how to condition Otos to breed? I'm doing a water change tonight so hopefully the mother apisto stays in her cave with her babies and no one eats them.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates and pictures. Things have been stressful with school and college applications and all. Anyway to start things off it seems 3 out of 4 of my Otos are females and are full of eggs. Hopefully I can stimulate them to breed!! Also the female apisto managed to hatch her eggs this time and raised her fry to be 2 1/2 weeks old. They became free-swimming and were doing alright up until she decided to take them outside of the cave. Overnight they all were eaten and she wasn't displaying her brood colors anymore. Its sad but after 4 tries I finally managed to get fry.

Today was a big day as I did a large water change and, finally, after 4 months of preparation I switched out my two ugly Tetra Whisper filters for my Aquaclear 30. There's a ton of new free space, which everyone isn't used to, and the tank looks amazing. It'll take a while for the pencilfish to get used to not having a dark, shadowy hideout. Also the Otos are real stressed as they always used to hide behind the Whisper filters during the day. The tank is much more open and its going to take everyone a while to get used to it but hopefully I don't lose any of them to the stress. The two crypts I have in there at the moment are doing very well and one of them is sending out at least 6 new daughters a week.

I'm still in the development stage but I was thinking of going over to my landlord's house and cutting down some Beech branches to add to the tank.. The tree isn't on his main property and he doesn't spray for insects or anything.. I live in a suburban area though.. Do you guys think it'd be okay to add the branches? I'd of course have to clean them, but would you think they'd leech anything bad into the tank??

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

Sorry for the lack of updates and failing on my promises of pictures but things are so stressful with my family, imminent graduation, and college applications. The tank is still doing alright. I have serious algae issues though. Diatoms, green spot algae, and BBA are growing like mad. I'd be worried about it but in the next week or two I'll be moving the entire ecosystem from this 10 gallon to a new 10 gallon I just recently purchased. Along with that big change I'll be changing the substrate from gravel to sand, removing all my plants, adding some Beech branches(that I've been drying and preparing for months), adding more leaves, and (maybe) adding some amazon frogbit. My goal is to turn this tank into a blackwater amazon biotope.

Lastly the fish are doing nicely, the pencilfish are doing fantastic and seem to have grown quite a bit in size since I've gotten them. My female apisto has laid at least half a dozen clutches of eggs since December and since I bought her last April she's managed to raise 3 clutches of eggs to free-swimming fry. Its been hard for her to raise the fry because they get trapped in the gravel and the lack of cover. With the move from this tank to the new 10 gallon, as well as all the other changes, she'll be able to raise her fry much more easily. The male apisto is doing great and looks gorgeous. He's very active but still a bit more skittish than the other fish in the tank, hopefully the move and changes to the tank will bring him out more.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll take some pictures Saturday after their water change and be updating a lot more as I move the ecosystem over to the new tank.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 02-14-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

So I had to delay moving the ecosystem to a new tank due to filter issues and due to my driftwood not being fully prepared. However, the ecosystem will most likely be moved some time this week as the wood is finally finished being prepared and all the other problems have been solved. The fish are doing nicely and so is their current tank. Despite my lack of fert dosing, and the large amounts of BBA and diatoms, my crypts have been growing nicely. It'll be a shame to see them go, as I won't be moving them to the new tank.

Anyway, that's all I really have to say for now. I'll have another big update whenever I finally get the ecosystem moved. For now, here's a picture of the new setup minus the rocks, the rest of the decor, the water, the fish and all the equipment. I'm still figuring things out but I like this arrangement for the wood. What do you guys think?

WP_002373.jpg

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Looks good Gesp and I am looking forward to seeing it when it's all done.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE:

The ecosystem is being switched today. I finally finished preparation for setting up the new tank.I secured the two smallest pieces of wood, that are coming up out of the sand, by tying them to stones used some string. Everything is ready to go. The tank was cleaned and sterilized a few days ago and everything is ready. I'll start by moving a couple gallons of water from the old tank to the new, then take out all the fish and put them into a bowl of their water, then I'll start adding new water to the new tank, and finally I'll move the fish to their new home. I'm still waiting for KevinVA to send my some frogbit but when those arrive the tank will be pretty finished. When I finish setting up the new tank later tonight I'll definitely take some pictures for you guys!