· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default My Ever Changing 10 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    As many of you know around april I received my 3 Three Lined Apistos and turned my 10 gallon quarantine tank into their home. Since then A LOT has changed. It went from being a boring tank with an inch of gravel, a few clay pot caves, and some rocks, into the planted tank it is now. The current stock is as such:

2 Three-Lined Apistogramma(male x female)
    2 Otocinclus Catfish
    1 Large Olive Nerite Snail

Its currently being filtered by two HOB Tetra Whisper filters but I hope to be able to hook up, and cycle my eheim canister soon. The tank currently has a gravel substrate, 3 clay pot caves, a few large stones, and a couple plant species. In the back I have 2 large adult plants of Water Sprite, several smaller daughter plants of Water sprite, and on the right side and front middle I have several Cryptocoryne wendtii's. The plants I received less than a month ago and are already doing well. Even the smaller daughter crypts I split from the parents are growing well.

I'm choosing to start this journal now as this morning I received a pleasant surprise. Around May I lost one of my Apistos, a female. And since then only had a pair. The current female is now 1 1/4" long and the male is 1 3/4" long. The male has colored up significantly, even more so recently. For the past few weeks the female has been trying to enter the male's cave only to be chased away. She's presented herself to him and showed off some gorgeous yellow coloration to him, only to be chased away. I was getting worried I might have to remove one of them.

However, this morning I was proved wrong. I turned on the lights this morning, on my way out the door to go to school, just to discover that my male had accepted the female and the two were mating. The were rubbing their bodies together and swimming in circles and engaging in a mating dance I've witnessed on YouTube. When I got home an hour ago I also discovered the two happily living together in the male's large cave. The female has had some gorgeous color for weeks and is becoming quite fat. She's also showing a small tube on her rear end, I suspect it to be a mating tube of sorts. Since this morning she even looks fatter. They're still young and both are still half their adult size but hopefully they breed and do well with their babies :D

I will have photos up tomorrow night, their lights go out soon and I don't want to disturb them while they're in the early stages of their relationship. I hope you guys will enjoy following along with this journal as my fish mature and the tank changes :D
    Last edited by Gesp56; 06-06-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice that they are finally pairing up....but we need PICS when you get a chance
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I will :D I would take some today but being as they scare easily by the camera I don't want to stress them out with photos.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have a bit of an update for you guys!! As I stated only 4 days ago I awoke one morning to my Three Lined Apistos mating. The very next day and for the past few days the female has been more shy and has slowly gotten fatter. The male was being territorial with her again too. I began to get worried and was scared I may have to move her to a new tank, however, I was surprised this morning to see she had her full brooding colors(which consist of a bright yellow body and dark black stripes) and was guarding a clutch of about 30-40 eggs in the smallest of the clay pot caves!! I just got home and her and the male are doing well. She is guarding them from him very well, however, he still just sits outside of her cave and sort of stares at her. He tried to swim into her cave earlier, and despite him being nearly twice her size, she fought him off. I don't expect to get fry out of this but its great to see she's laid her first clutch of eggs c:

In other news my Otos have become very comfortable in their new home and are doing well. The plants are growing in nicely also. I ordered a bunch of ferts and other supplies online today, I'm having issues with plant growth due to the lack of iron in my water, so that's exciting. Oh and I took a bunch of photos as well, however, due to the position of her cave and how far back they were laid, I could not get a picture of the female's clutch. I do however have pictures of her with her bright colors. I'll have those up later tonight or tomorrow, depending on whether or not I feel better(I've been sick all day).

Hope you guys have a good day and enjoyed my update. I'll have pictures up soon !!

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Get well soon, and post those pics when you can!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool, I hope the batch gets a few that survive. I had some kribs a while back I used to spawn out and let only the strong survive. Usually got around 5 or 6 in a 50 spawn. Hope you get the same! Feel better too!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Carapar, that's awesome! I love Apistos, so I can't wait to see the tank. I know some cichlids are great parents, like Rams. It'd be nice to see Apistos are the same way. We'll see. =] Can't wait for the pictures! Sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing and creating a nice little ecosystem for your fish.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys so much!! From what I've read my species of Apisto is actually one of the worst parents people have seen XD Lucky me! Males don't help in the rearing process and will eat the babies if given the chance. Females only care for the babies for 3 - 4 weeks and quickly lose full interest in them afterwards. She seems to be a good mother so far, from what I saw earlier yesterday she's very protective. She occasionally pecks at the eggs and I've even seen her move some of them around. She stays really close to them and gets really territorial even when I put my face too close to the glass!! Hopefully I do get some viable fry out of this. If any do live I'll move them to my 20 gallon and try to raise them, wish me luck! I'll post all the pictures tomorrow.

And its really odd. People usually see apistos mate and lay eggs during the day. However my fish mated after a huge 90% water change, and during the night no less! And then my female laid her eggs right after another huge 90% water change, once again during the night. They do sleep and become less active at night however this species seems to favor mating and doing all other significant activities at night, early in the morning, only a few hours before their lights come on.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    QUICK UPDATE: Using a flashlight and my phone camera I was able to get some great photos of the female with her clutch!!

0 Not allowed!
    Well, where is it?! lol

Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.