· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Temperatue Maintenance

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Folks,

So after the death of my favorite 4 grown up goldfish friends, I turned all my attention to my fancy Goldfish tank. 6 of them live healthy n happy, I hope they continue to do so.

i have a heater in the tank, during winter so that I could keep the temperature 68-70. Now since its summer and I live in a second floor apartment, the temperature keeps varying alot, especially when I switch on and off the AC. is there a heater where I can keep the temperature constant? i have a top fin and fluval heater from the other tank as well, but both work only if the temp goes below the mark.

please let me know..
    45gallon
    Plants: Anacharis, Amazon Sword
    Fish: 4 Comet Goldfish
    4 Corydora Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Not so sure about the temp requirements for GF.

Looking at your sig, I am assuming that you are keeping the GF's and the Cories in the same tank. If that is so you need to be keeping the water at tropical temps for the cories.

Of course I see in your post that you say you have 6 fancy goldfish in one tank so maybe you just haven't updated your sig or something.

I'm not sure here, but I think tank size is probably going to be abigger issue for you than temp. 6 GF in one tank (45g?) is a lot from what I have read on the forum.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Although goldfish are called coldwater fish, they can take a wide range of temps, maintaining a consistent temp is what's most important. Lower temps will slow down their metabolism...... so for example, they'll grow more slowly and require less food. Higher temps will increase their metabolism and they'll grow faster an need more food. Also, colder water holds more dissolved oxygen than warmer water, so in higher temps it's even more important to have good surface aggitation to increase the dissolved oxygen.
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    Good points but not exactly the question.

What you could do is see what the max temp is in the water before you switch on the ac and how quickly it goes down to what.

so, get a notebook and do some testing. Moment A. temp. Switch on the AC and measure the water every 30 minutes and record that. I'm willing to bet the difference isn't as big as you might think. 45 gallons of water takes time to heat and cool in response to ambient temperature.

Let's say your tank hits 78 just before you switch on the ac and then gradually goes to 72 during the day. A possible solution is to set your heaters on 74. That would give you a slight chance of only 4 degres which is not much of an issue.

0 Not allowed!
    Heaters only heat the water ;-) so if the water gets warmer than the temp setting, it will just turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    Looking at your sig, I am assuming that you are keeping the GF's and the Cories in the same tank. If that is so you need to be keeping the water at tropical temps for the cories.

I'm not sure here, but I think tank size is probably going to be abigger issue for you than temp. 6 GF in one tank (45g?) is a lot from what I have read on the forum.
    Many cory species actually do best at sub tropical temperatures - far more than those which require 80 degree water. Many of the "tropical" fish in the hobby aren't all that tropical.

I agree about the tank being small. I know my 45 was 3 feet long - I would feel better about keeping them in a 4 foot tank.
    Last edited by jaysee; 06-17-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    :) My point was that if you're going to add a heater, realize that additional water aggitation (increased dissolved oxygen) might be a good thing to do...... and why.... if not already being done.
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys for the replies..

for the clarification - I just have 6 fancy goldfish now, in a 60g tank. i would like them to grow slowly.

like one of you mentioned, i see increased metabolism in them when its really hot. the weather in northeast has been crazy and there r days when im out of town during the weekends, probably 3 days..

i would like to maintain the temp at 72-70. is there a device for that, rather than a heater?
    45gallon
    Plants: Anacharis, Amazon Sword
    Fish: 4 Comet Goldfish
    4 Corydora Catfish

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to cool the water ....have lots of surface agitation and point a fan at the surface. That will bring down your temp.

Temperature doesn't control goldfish growth. They will grow a lot in the first year and will continue to grow more slowly afterwards. My 1 inch GF is now 5 inches and very round. There is no way to slow growth.

You will be over stocked within a certain period of time. I have 5 GF in 120g and my nitrates rise to 20/40 pmm in one week. So test your water for nitrates regularly and do WC when needed. Otherwise the nitrates will cause organ damage, fin riot and death. You might want to plan to move into a bigger tank with time.

Awards Showcase

Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 All that painting makes a guy hungry - Slaphppy7 Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson 
    Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 
    Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 85miles View Post
    thanks guys for the replies..
    i would like to maintain the temp at 72-70. is there a device for that, rather than a heater?
    The quick answer is that yes, there are. They are called chillers. Chillers, however, are very expensive, upwards of $300 for a unit. You can see a few chillers here.

Still, I don't think you need a chiller. As talldutchie mentioned, a 60g tank will take a long time to change temperatures, so your variations may not be as big as you think. Letting your tank vary slightly is probably not a problem, but I will let others more knowledgeable than me chime in on this one. Goldfish are usually kept in ponds and are exposed to wide temperature swings during the year with no problems. If you are set on keeping your tank at 72 degrees, then you might try some "low tech" solutions like the ones funfin suggested. But keep in mind, lots of people keep goldfish with no temperature control at all.

Of course, another answer would be to turn your A/C unit on earlier, to prevent the room getting that warm in the first place. More expensive in the long term because of electricity bills, perhaps, but effective