· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Beginner's Luck?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All!
    I have never owned fish before, and so far so good. I rescued a goldfish from a dark, indoor horse water trough about 2 months ago. My little fish now has a 20 gallon tank with a good strong filter and a mystery snail as a friend. Any tips on how to keep him happy? I have heard alot about what to feed goldfish, but the advice seems to vary a bit. I am giving him sinking granules, but do they need to be soaked first? Can I put some cuttlefish bone in the water for the snails' shell? Is my water conditioner made by TopFin the same as the Stress Coat product? Thanks so much. Glad I found this forum!! SO many questions!!!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Keep asking questions but first and foremost, get a picture, determine what type of goldy it is and get ready to get a larger tank! Those suckers can get larger than your current 20gal. They are mostly herbivores but the common flake will be ok for them. I would use a tetramin or something like that. What you have stated is most likely fine. They do not need to be soaked. A lot of the time though, goldfish will let the food go to the bottom and rot... you need to keep up with good sized water changes.

Also did you cycle the tank at all? (I would assume not but need to ask)
    Do you have a liquid test kit? (API makes a good one)

What have you read and what specific questions do you have. I and others will help you as best we can!
    Last edited by Sandz; 06-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    If the fish has been in for two months then the fish-in cycle is complete now. Next step is proper filter maintenance. Which filter are you running?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    WilliamGoldfish.jpg Here is a photo of William. I bought the tank from Petsmart, who told me to use water conditioner and add some good bacteria that came in similar bottles and wait a few days before adding fish and snail. I got the thirty gallon filter for the 20 gallon tank since I had been warned about Goldfish poopieness. I have little test strips for the water and today's reading showed everything in the pretty low range...Nitrate was around 20ppm Nitrite was between 1-3ppm the PH was about 6.5 and the water hardness was in about the middle range...60ppm? Hoping those are good. I have been doing 30% water changes once a week and have a gravel siphon thing. Thanks for the responces!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming the strips are correct it does answer the cuttlefish question, bit of that won't matter, goldfish like their water a little harder and a bit more alkaline than this.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you are on your way! You will do fine in these conditions, They are cold water fish but yeah that fish is going to get pretty darn big. What I would do is look for a pond option. The fish would be best served after the winter to move into a nice pond where he can grow 18-24in.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Err... sandz, it's nearly midsummer, we're not going to get much more after the winter than that. ;)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with your goldfish!

Don't add any calcium for the snail. He'll be fine..... although the goldfish may see antennae as snacks. Messing with the water chemistry by adding calcium won't benefit your goldfish, it would most likely be detrimental to him. Just tap water with a dechlorinator will be fine.
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, ran out of time to edit my previous post..... want to clarify:

I''m thinking that adding extra calcium via a cuttlefish bone might not keep the calcium level stable. Calcium is important to goldfish in many ways, although a stable water chemistry might be more important than the swings in calcium levels when water is changed. There will be a period of time when calcium levels will be "higher".... then when a water change happens and fresh water is added, the calcium level would suddenly be lower and would gradually get higher. Then another water change and suddenly lower again.

Just my 2 cents. :)
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    You got a point. However on a relatively frequent schedule the difference will not be that much. How much can a cuttlefish bone leak in 3-4 days? Or a week?