· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cory Behavior?

0 Not allowed!
    My pygmies also do it although it's less now that it was in the beginning. I think it has to do with reflection. Don't forget these live in groups in their hunderds in the wild.

As to adding fish, albino is usually Corydoras aeneus or bronze cory. Those will school with the albinos.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thought as much. When they move into the second tank I'll try to get some pigmented ones to add color. They're all doing much better and they leave the heater alone now, even without a guard. (I'm thinking of getting a different type of heater for the second tank... one that's harder for fish to get stuck around.)
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My cories play with their reflections now and then, but they've mostly stopped.
    In my experience, cories of the same size will happily school together, even ones with totally different colors, and the four smallish cories I have (two salt-and-pepper, two julii) will play with the Shwartz cory, who's almost twice their size.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Viewed from above female corys look more like a bowling pin in shape as compared to males which appear as more of a wedge. Most females are twice the size of males sometimes x3. 3 or 4 males are needed to fertilize the eggs of each female, the female pulls milt from the genetalia of the male through her gills and directs it towards a small cluster of eggs she holds with the fins around her ovipositor, she then attaches the cluster, usually 3 to 4 eggs to a surface in hopes it will be safe. Where the female feels her eggs secure is the most interesting aspect and the thing that makes some very hard to spawn. Getting parameters correct and having that secure place allows success. I suspect you have one male and three females, I think he is excited about the prospects of his new life, or he may realize that he has taken on the task of 9 of his fellows and might be thinking that hopping out might stop his worries. :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm 90% certain that I do have one female (my hyper one oddly enough, since Ringo seems very rounded for the first 1/3 and thin for the rest) The other's I'm not sure about... I can't see them too clearly usually cuz they hide a bit more... they're getting a bit more active aside from one (George) who hides a lot. But I haven't gotten to see them "top on" so I'm not sure... Ringo likes to ride the "bubble coaster" (made up by bubbles from one of the aerators). Pretty much John and Paul are just "there" they only do a lot if Ringo bullies them into doing so. Other than that they just hang around. Unlike George and Ringo they don't have a whole lot of personality, but I expect that to change sometime soon, they're probably just taking longer to get settled.

I also just got 2 Oto's and a Betta who (after a 2 week quarantine will live with the Cory's). I'm hoping that maybe some non-related fish will change their attitudes.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.