· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 55 gallon stocking

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I will be setting up a heavily planted 55 gallon tank. This is currently the stock I'm thinking of. Please make any suggestions.

Neon Tetras x10
    Tiger Barbs x8
    Serpae Tetra x8
    Harlequin Rasboras x8
    Albino Otos x3
    Honey Gouramis x2

0 Not allowed!
    Okey dokey. I think you're generally on the right track here.

Here are my suggestions though --

Tiger barbs are a NO. Lol. They are very aggressive nippers and get pretty darn big. You could do a stunning species tank with them though. I've considered that myself.

MOST people here will recommend that you keep only one Gourami to a tank, and with good reason. They will most likely tear each other apart unless they're in a 100g tank or something of the like. Now I'm not sure (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the Honeys are more docile and that you MAY be able to pull it off. If it were me -- I wouldn't risk it.

So basically --

Neons
    Serpaes
    Harlequin
    Otos
    1 Honey

Also --- I would probably only have two schools, but have larger numbers of them.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs can be mixed with other fish, just not the ones you are wanting to keep. So either don't get the tiger barbs, or don't get everything else, then work around the barbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Lose the tiger barbs, get a male/female pair of gourami. Get a few more otos (albinos, really??) and feed them well.

All of these are softwater fish so if you got hardwater, start over.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 06-05-2013 at 04:29 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 planted tank, and I started out with a similar stocking plan. I concur with the other folks, the tiger barbs will make life difficult for everyone else in the tank. They killed a lot of my fish and I eventually had to move them. I even kept them in a school of 10 thinking that would be enough.

Also agree, one gourami, personally the gold gourami has been the best looking and best behaved for me, but pearl gouramis also have a good reputation.

A 55 is still a decent sized tank and I would recommend some cleanup crews to help you out. A small school of cory cats, and a rainbow shark tend to do well in my tank getting food scraps off the substrate. I would also up the schools of your tetras.

here is what I would do, but it is your tank :)

Neon Tetra x14
    Cherry Barbs x 8
    Harlequins x 10
    Gold Gourami x 1
    Rainbow Shark x 1
    Sterbai Cory Cat x 4
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't recommend a shark of any kind for a community tank - the above suggestions are great except I'd increase the corys to 6 or more and I don't know what kind of reputation a gold gourami has - some gouramis are not great in community tanks.

As I'm sure you know, it's important to cycle the tank 1st & add the fish little by little.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't recommend any kind of cleanup crew, that's the owner's responsiblity.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any kind of cleanup crew, that's the owner's responsiblity.
    +1 to talldutchie - missed that about the "clean up crew" - corys or other bottom dwellers should be purchased because you like them & want activity at the bottom of a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to losing the shark. + to either going all tiger barbs or losing the barbs all together. I'd lose them and up the tetra schools. Cory's are fun additions to a tank and yours is big enough to have a nice large school - say 10. Make sure they are all the same variety as they do better with their own kind.
    It sounds like a pretty tank.
    Oh - on the otos - often they are difficult to keep alive, especially in a new tank that is not matured. If you decide you want some, I'd wait a few months before adding them. They are so small, they will not add much to your bioload.

And as someone said - fishless cycling is the fastest and easiest way to go, not to mention the most beneficial to the fish. check out the fishless cycling stickie in the beginners section if you are not familiar with the process.

Good luck and have fun setting this up. You realize you MUST share photos when you get it up and running :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I may be permitted to calmly defend my suggestions.

I have two tanks, a 55 and a 20-Long. both of them are freshwater community tanks and both of them hae rainbow sharks that are very peaceful. Based on what I read, I certainly understand the perspective of not having the shark, but my own experience has taught me differently. All fish are different and there are always risks. (follow on: I know that a 20 long is too small for a rainbow shark, but when he out grows the tank, I have an eager buyer for my larger fish. I have had a lot of success in raising baby fish and selling them if and when they out grow the tank. Many times I get a good 6 months to a year out of the fish before I sell, and thats more than enough time for me to enjoy the fish)

Also, "clean up crew" . . . I agree it is the responsibility of the tank owner to maintain a clean tank. But I think I would make a good arguement that all help is appreciated, and you can maintain a cleaner tank, and have less water foulers if you have some kind of scavenger/bottom feeder fish to help with food scrops. It makes my tank maintenance easier, and its not such a dire emergency if I have to slip my schedule a few days before my next gravel vaccuum. Does anyone disagree with this?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012