· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Floor support for 55 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been doing a lot of researching, and I think I will be putting a jack in my basement to support the joist my tank rests on in the room above. Tank runs parallel to the frame, so it only rests on one joist. I think it might be overkill, but I don't want the floor to sag and jack is under 55 gallons anyways.

Has anyone had any experience with reinforcing wood floors to support a tank before?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How old is your house? How is the structure? Is the floor sagging now? Use a level on the floor around the tank and see.

I don't see too many folks having to reinforce their floors to support a tank. Anyone else?

0 Not allowed!
    If the tank is near a load baring wall (ie, near one of the ends of the floor beam that is supporting it) you should be fine. I had a 55 gallon tank set-up on a floor about 5 to 6 feet away from a load baring wall running parallel with the beam. The tank sat there for 4 years without a single problem. The home was built in 1999/2000 and 2 X 8s were used for the floor beams.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Built in 2006, the floor is not sagging now, structure is in good condition. The joist are 2x8, 16" apart. It is in the corner of a room, about 2 feet away from the center beam, and a supporting metal pole. Concerned because I heard some knocking noises last night from the room while I was nearby and went in the basement and heard the same thing. The noises were sporadic and the entire episode only lasted a few minutes and has not replicated itself since. No water pipes are in the area.

Thanks for the help!

0 Not allowed!
    I would not be concerned at all unless it was a 400 gallon tank. Make sure you set it up near a source of water or it will be a pain at water changing time. You'll want the tank near where a python water changer can reach it easily.

0 Not allowed!
    For a 55, I would not worry about it at all. Once you start to get where you are putting 1,500 pounds or more in tank and water weight on a unsupported floor, then I would consider floor jacks, or building up your floor joists. So until you get something around 150 gallons, I would not worry about it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    For a 55, I would not worry about it at all.
    Same here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Default Floor support for 55 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept a 55 on a single parallel joist and the tank was rather unstable. I wasn't really worried about it falling over, but it rocked way more than I would have liked (carpeted floor). You could put a board down under the tank stand that extends out to the next joist to give it more structural integrity. Jack in the basement - I don't think is needed.
    Last edited by jaysee; 06-05-2013 at 02:45 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    you arent going to need the support at all. normal load ratings in the middle of a 12 foot span with 2x8 16" on center are usually between 25 to 50 per sq INCH. Your 55gal has a foot print of about 6 sq feet, which would have a load of a little higher than 133 lbs per sq FOOT.
    My 150gal is on a 2nd floor and it weighs 1800+ lbs. not even a creak, I hit 4 floor joists tho.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    All my tanks are on the second floor.

I'd be afraid to live in a house that couldn't support a 55, even if I didn't have aquariums.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L