· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fin Rot Disease?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello friends,
    I have a 225 gallon aquarium with an assortment of 5 cichlids, 1 pleco, 3 algae eaters, 2 sharks, 1 dragonfish.
    My second to largest oscar is really bad off. I noticed today when I didn't see him and he was hovering down the bottom which
    is unusual for him. Be second largest I mean he is a medium size. I have a albino that is quite a bit larger then him but only double in size.

When I got a good look at him I said looks bad off like possible fin rot disease. Not dealing with it before I am not sure.
    I can tell by looking at him he only has days left if something not done soon. He floats vertically resting against a piece of pvc for the most part.
    He is active at times and does eat earthworms and other foods. But well you know, it's looking grim.

It's a rather big aquarium and he is all the way to the back so a bit hard to get a closeup decent picture. He doesn't appear to have any white blotches.
    All the other fish are fit as a fiddle. My PH averages about 7.1. I do %60 water changes once a week faithfully. Is 60% too much and I am disrupting the cycle?
    I am pulling him out and putting him into a quarantine tank today. Looking for any suggestions and opinions on this. I would rather rule out aggression from other fish
    as I have never seen any aggression from any of them, even the bigger oscar. They get along pretty good.

I'll try and get some better pictures when I put him into the quarantine tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't find the edit to add this so making a new post reply.
    All I have here is a petsmart with limited resources. The amount of time it would take to get something better online may be too late.
    Please take a peek at what is available to me as I am looking for the best remedy :)
    http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...dication&fbx=1

0 Not allowed!
    If rot doesn't come suddenly like you described. It is a slow, gradual process that any fish keeper would have noticed before it caused that much damage. Besides, if rot damage usually has white edges from fungi or bacteria. That fish looks more like it has been attacked by a tankmate.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boujii View Post
    When I got a good look at him I said looks bad off like possible fin rot disease. Not dealing with it before I am not sure.
    He is active at times and does eat earthworms and other foods. But well you know, it's looking grim.

It's a rather big aquarium and he is all the way to the back so a bit hard to get a closeup decent picture. He doesn't appear to have any white blotches.
    All the other fish are fit as a fiddle. My PH averages about 7.1. I do %60 water changes once a week faithfully. Is 60% too much and I am disrupting the cycle?
    I am pulling him out and putting him into a quarantine tank today. Looking for any suggestions and opinions on this. I would rather rule out aggression from other fish

I'll try and get some better pictures when I put him into the quarantine tank.
    First, good thing to put him in a QT - 2nd, water changes do nothing to your cycle - the good bacteria doesn't live in the water - it primarily lives in your filter. Usually when a fish is suffering from something like this, the 1st thing you should be doing is keeping its water clean with water changes.

What are your water parameters like? We like to ask about actual readings - ammonia, nitrites & nitrates - not "my water is good" : )

How long has this tank been running with those inhabitants? What kind of filtration do you have on it and how often do you clean the media?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boujii View Post
    He floats vertically resting against a piece of pvc for the most part.
    This is a classic sign of stress. One or more of the inhabitants is stressing him out. Those looked like nipped fins

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In regards to the filters, I am running two hang-on Emperor 400's. I change the media every Sunday along with the water change. I also have a 1500ghp canister pool pump with 2 inch lines that I run at night when I am home. I don't run that all day though and usually about 6 hours a day.
    I am at work right now so will have to get you the water parameters.

When I woke this morning he was stuck to the filter inlet. I said damn... Turned the power off to filter to retrieve him from tank and he started swimming (if that's what you want to call it). I hadn't a chance to get the Q-tank set up and was running out the door for work. So I grabbed a big butter container and put him in there until I get home.

As you mentioned about the fin rot, I was looking at him just a couple days ago when I was hand feeding him and would of surely noticed that I'm sure. I think you might be right about the/one of tankmates being the culprit. When I pulled him from the filter inlet he looked much worse shape then the pictures and possibly even puncture wounds to the side. If he is still alive when I get home tonight it'll be a miracle. But he was moving around in the butter container when I left so I'm hoping he can be saved still. It looked like he was getting his ass kicked while he was stuck to the filter.

I'll fill you all in later tonight when I get home. If this is the case I'm going to have to find out which is the culprit. The big albino oscar is usually chasing the sharks because they are silver I think and have never seen him aggressive with any of the other fish. But really when it comes to nipping I guess could be any one of them.

Edit: How long has this tank been running with those inhabitants?
    With the exception of the dragonfish about 3 months. The dragonfish was brought in a couple weeks ago and is always at the bottom and hardly ever see it. The 2 oscars are usually hanging mid to top level waiting for hand outs. Even most of the other Cichlids hang mostly at the bottom. The 2 sharks (not really sharks, like big minnows) are really the only other thing swimming mid-top level and they are too busy getting chased by the albino. But I guess you never know what goes on behind closed doors.
    Last edited by Boujii; 06-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you find him alive when you get home. An air bubbler might have helped.

Just a side note - you said you change out your filter media weekly? Why would you do that? All of your beneficial bacteria that you need to keep your tank cycled lives in your filter media. If you change it out weekly you are losing your cycle completely. You should never change it out unless it's literally falling apart. Most here merely rinse their filter media in old tank water once a month- only one filter each month.

Again, hope your poor guy makes it. And if he does, you realize he will never be able to go back in that tank again, unless you figure out who the culprit is and rehome that fish.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry when I said change media. My filters have 2 bio wheels each along with carbon only media and a pad media. I wash the pad media out in sink under high pressure and store it for the next week's change. Then rotate them on next change. I never ever touch the bio wheels.
    47464002c.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well he didn't make it :(
    I took pics anyways before discarding him. Figured just in case something catches someone's eye.
    IMG_1985.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_1987.jpgIMG_1990.jpg

Granted he was long passed I'm sure by the time I took these, but he didn't look less worse when I separated him. I'm sure some of the damage there could have been from being stuck to the filter
    inlet for several hours.

Here is a pic before all this:
    tiger_oscar.jpg
    Last edited by Boujii; 06-05-2013 at 05:25 AM.