· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Black Ranchu with white fluff around anus. Please help me.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys, I was wondering if you could help me please, I have frequented here before and am a reasonably experienced fish keeper. I noticed that My Ranchu a few months back had small white fluffy bit on or around his anus area. Today I saw it more prominent, the fish is happy swimming well (for a Ranchu) and eats well too. I also saw very tiny thin white worms moving through the glass and algae I think they are beneficial Nematodes though as I read somewhere that if worms are seen in the aquarium moving around freely that no stage during there life cycle are they parasitic. My question is shall I put the Ranchu in a hospital tank and try and fix the problem with a medicine such as this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterlife-...item1e7980c19c

Or try something else?

Thanking everyone in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have a case of worms on your hands. It would help to know tank size/parameters but I would dose PraziPro its a mild wormer that works well and is very mild for the fish.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Limming, and thank you for the reply. It is in a 30 gallon tank at the moment. The Nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and ammonia. Does that mean the the floating worm/s (which I see rarely) are from the Ranchu.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What are your test methods?
    Generally a nitrite reading of 0 means an uncycled tank.

any other fish in the tank?
    filtration?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Generally a nitrite reading of 0 means an uncycled tank.
    You mean nitrAte? ;)
    +1 to mizzoutank about test methods, filtration and nitrate readings.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello , I use a test strip by King British I believe is the make. the colours are spot on to the back of the tube readings so I guessed they were 0? Just done one now and the nitrate one does have a light tint between 0 and 10. My filtration is a Eheim 2213 250 classic. There is also one Oranda with the fish and some Elodea strands and no gravel. They are almost one year old now but are small.
    Last edited by bobo1234; 06-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So any suggestions mizzoutank and Greentoads41? I have ordered the Prazipro as Limming kindly suggested so hopefully I'll receive it soon.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aside from finding it a bigger tank (see the goldfish section of the forum for how big they can get) the best thing to do I think is to wait for the PraziPro and see how that works. As far as your test methods I'd recommend getting the api mater test kit. They can be found for around 20 bucks on amazon and are much more accurate then any test stripe.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The thing about test strips is that they are very innaccurate, and their innaccuracy increases the longer they are exposed to oxygen after being taken out of the bag. For future tests, get an API liquid test kit, available most places for $25. I swear to you, it is worth the money for its accurate readings that can be trusted Everyone here on this forum uses one, including me.
    If the nitrate readings really are zero, and the ammonia or nitrite is greater than 0, then my guess is that the tank is uncycled and the "fluff" was somehow caused by this uncycled tank. Then you must cycle the tank. If the ammonia and nitrite really are zero, and the nitrate is greater than zero, then the tank is cycled and it's tougher to pinpoint the cause, but treating with the Prazipro should definetely help.
    Hope this helps! Good luck
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so it turns out that the Ranchu is laying eggs! I received the medication and as of today have dosed once on the first day. Does this mean that the white fluff was eggs ready to be laid or something? Also now that I have dosed the tank with prazi pro does that mean that the eggs are dead? (if they were fertile at all of course) Thanking you in advance for the help previously as well.